Search

QF or CX?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2005, 3:34 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by AshleyF
It really depends on your size. Under 6 ft and 'normal' weight then BA wins hands down in being flat. (I am a shortarse and lost 6 KG's last year - mainly by not eating the food on board.)
So you'd reckon there was one good thing about the GateGourmet problems?
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:43 am
Suspended

The CX seat is just too much of a pain , even in the Z position you will still find yourself slipping down if you are as side sleeper. HOWEVER CX gives me an upgrade rougly 1 out of 3. AND ther service is a notch above.

If you are over 6 ft, go for the Skybed.
I absolutely agree on every point, including the upgrades. CX have delighted me many times by upgrading me to a non-sloping seat on that late flight back to Sydney.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 2:28 pm

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P
I seem to be in the minority here and I'm mystified.

I've been flying QF J with skybed several times a month for a few years now and the next flight I'm going to learn how to use the controls to get the bed comfortable and stop the slipping down.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It really depends on your size. Under 6 ft and 'normal' weight then BA wins hands down in being flat. (I am a shortarse and lost 6 KG's last year - mainly by not eating the food on board.)

The CX seat is just too much of a pain , even in the Z position you will still find yourself slipping down if you are as side sleeper. HOWEVER CX gives me an upgrade rougly 1 out of 3. AND ther service is a notch above.

If you are over 6 ft, go for the Skybed.
I'm right on 6' and fully agree about CX J beds; flew red-eye HKG-AKL recently and managed to squeeze in about 2 hours sleep. (No F option there!) The seat simply does not permit proper repose. Of course, it would have been SOTA several years ago.

I like the airlines' contemporary philosophy these days of starting with a 'bed' and enabling it to fold up to a seat.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:09 pm

I find the skybeds ok, but not great.

Like has been posted above, if you put the foot rest up then you will have a lot less problems with slipping down (at least in my case). As a side sleeper, I hate the way the headphones are uncomfy in that position... don't think you can win!

I have not seen CX's J bed. I have sat on the models in the 772 and 773 (one was an older seat like the QF 767 seat, the other was more like the seats in A320's). Neither impressed me as being great seats for more than a couple of hours.

Their F seats are nice, but not as nice as QF's.

As I posted in another thread, I really like CX. QF could learn a lot from them.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Question which biz class cabin?

After settling the issue of the bed, which biz class cabin is preferable on a 747-main deck or upper? I just bagged 2 reward seats LAX-CNS coming over and SYD-LAX going home with AA points for November. The last time I flew Qantas was 20 years ago, in coach. I usually like the upper deck as it's quieter and I like to sleep on these long flights. Your expert opinions will be appreciated before I call and get seat reservations.
Susie
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:40 pm

It's an individual choice as to which is better. I prefer downstairs, but have started to like upstairs more and more.

Some good points about being up top:
Less foot traffic
No-one from Y class using the J toilet
Fairly attentive cabin crew (thus maybe faster service)
Max of 2 pax sitting side by side, so no problems of being the "middle" person.

Some bad points:
Floor can creak a little when people move around. This may disturb your sleep.
Have to walk upstairs and then downstairs to embark/disembark.
Inflight bar is downstairs so lots of trudging up and down if you want to use it.
FA's don't always block off economy from leaving before upstairs pax do so you might have to fight off Y pax when leaving.

Downstairs tends to have a bit more noise, more galleys and toilets to make noise and more foot traffic.

It's faster to get off the plane.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:51 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Some bad points:
....Floor can creak a little when people move around. This may disturb your sleep.....
Have not had the creak problem but certainly don't like the vibration as the heavy footed SLF, FAs or flight deck crew march up and down the aisle. IMHO, quite a significant problem for my enjoyment of an otherwise excellent cabin environment.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by og
Have not had the creak problem but certainly don't like the vibration as the heavy footed SLF, FAs or flight deck crew march up and down the aisle. IMHO, quite a significant problem for my enjoyment of an otherwise excellent cabin environment.
It could be more the vibration than the creak that I notice. Not sure now!

Reminds me of walking around in a wooden floor house. People know you're moving around whether it's the creak or the movement of the floor...
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:08 am

Programs: QF, LH, AF, EK, HGP, LHW
I like the skybed. ^

It's my observation that more than a few people in J don't seem to know how to take full advantage all their features. Yes I think they should come with a manual! I often find myself tutoring the person next to me about how to use it!

I particularly enjoy the massage feature.

JOBU
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:22 am

Programs: Gloria Jeans
On a RWT trip last year I flew QF from SYD-SIN, and a week later with CX from SIN-HKG and then HKG-LHR after a two-day stopover.

I liked the QF Skybed although I had a few problems. I am just over 6'2" and found that when fully extended in length, there is more of a downward tilt as the footrest has to fit under the seat in front. If I retracted the footrest a little then I could get the bed flatter but then could not straighten my legs.

I also felt a little hot in the Skybed - maybe that was b/c the aircon was not low enough on the aircraft, but I wondered if it was because I was inside the Skybed shell and was therefore feeling a bit stuffy.

While the CX seat is a different beast altogether, I found it very comfortable and easy to sleep in. It seems wider, probably because it does not have a shell. As others have noted, CX service is top notch and the IFE system leaves the QF system for dead.

On the same RTW trip I flew from LAX-SYD with the old style J seat - by comparison, Skybeds rule!

On the issue of upstairs/downstairs, I always go for upstairs because there are fewer people, it seems quieter, and window seats have a roomy compartment between the seat and the window where you can put your carry-on bags, store pillows/blankets, rest drinks, laptops, etc etc.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 3:29 am

Programs: QF WP
I would have to agree that the Qantas bed is better, but the whole experience is generally superior on CX. Better food (usually) and better service. You usually get French wine as well which makes a nice change of pace. CX first class BTW blows everyone out of the water.

That said, I will say that when I have had good service on Qantas, it has been truly excellent. Occasionally you just get stellar service from a particular Qantas crew member and usually, I must say this service comes from a bloke (yes, yes cue gay joke). When they get it right they get it very right, but more often than not they just get it mediocre. Fortunately, unlike BA, service rarely descends to the level of hostile, at least in the pointy end of the plane.

So in summary, CX is probably more reliable as a business class experience (particularly for day flights when the bed issue is not so acute) and their bed is really not that bad (unless you want to eat and put your feet up at the same time in which case it is woeful - can't be done as far as I can tell).

In relation to upper deck versus lower deck, upper deck = quieter = better for me. Row 86 on the upper deck of a CX 747 is the best business class seat in the sky IMO. I have not flown downstairs on a Qantas 747 for some time, but on CX you also run the risk of a center seat, even in J. Not sure what the QF configuration is. Last time I flew downstairs it was a 747-300 from Mumbai so it was maximum of 2 side by side (and no Skybeds).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.