Search

Seating assignment in Y for non-FF

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2005, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Seating assignment in Y for non-FF

Hello

I do not hold any status on QF nor on any OW airline. I am mainly a SkyTeam traveller, but as luck would have it I was required to travel to MEL. On the way out (MNL-SYD) I was at the airport at the time they opened the check in and scored row 35 seat on 763 (excellent exit row seat). I would like to repeat that experience

Now my return portion is coming up, for which I am assigned 28D (middle seat, ouch). Since I am quite a big guy (198 cm) a legroom is an issue for me. Now to my questions.

- I heard that the exit row seats are assigned exclusively at check in. Is that true? In other words, are QF or OW FFs able to get exit row assigned on a flight (hope for a "no" answer here)?
- How can I get my seat assignment changed to any aisle seat? Should I call QF and beg?

I tried to search the board, but I come up with conflicting information. Apprectiate any help on the matter
Old Dec 9, 2005, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by miro

- I heard that the exit row seats are assigned exclusively at check in. Is that true? In other words, are QF or OW FFs able to get exit row assigned on a flight (hope for a "no" answer here)?
- How can I get my seat assignment changed to any aisle seat? Should I call QF and beg?
Hi miro and welcome to the QF forum.

What QF means is 'any unassigned exit row seats will be given out at check-in'.

Qantas elites can request exit rows in advance, and I know for certain that for Plats (top tier under the 'invitation only' Chairman's Louge membership level) you can get the exit seat preassigned as soon as the booking is made.

They also have a note in my booking FWIW that I am 6'3, but as I have been lucky with the exits that hasn't been a problem.

Can't hurt to give them a call and ask for an aisle based on your height... otherwise, try at check-in. It is possible that QF FFers that have requested upgrades will have them cleared, freeing up some aisle seats (or even an exit).

Edited to add - and I just thought of this - my sister + 1 did a trip last year MEL-LAX and has a friend who does seating at QF. Her QF friend secured two exit seats and when my sister checked in she was challenged by the agent who asked 'how did you get these seats, they are normally reserved for Platinums, or else for tall people and you're not one of them'. My sister just smiled and said she didn't know how she got the seats and was allowed to stay in them, but she said she felt uncomfortable by the experience. So I guess QF might just take into account requests for seats with more leg room for tall people.

Regards

L/M/E FF

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Dec 9, 2005 at 8:10 pm
Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... Now my return portion is coming up, for which I am assigned 28D (middle seat, ouch). Since I am quite a big guy (198 cm) a legroom is an issue for me. Now to my questions.

I tried to search the board, but I come up with conflicting information. Apprectiate any help on the matter
As posted, generally only CL & WP can get exit rows preassigned . You can ring & try to plead "big".

There is a very recent thread here on 763 seating; my favorite (24F) is probably out of bounds for you as it's in an area reserved for elite/premium preallocation.

I would suggest you check in as early as possible and request that exit row.

Last edited by serfty; Dec 9, 2005 at 11:06 pm
Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:19 pm

back in 2002 I successfully managed to get an Exit row on a MEL-LAX flight by calling. I am 6'4" and stressed the fact I needed the extra legroom. I was only a NB back then (allbeit with QP) and after around 30-40 minutes of being on hold, they managed to do it.

I'm sure in my case my height managed to get the seat for me too. These days, I have not taken a long haul flight to worry about it (the next one to the US is in seat 1A, so no real concern there! )

Drew
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Called QF, but they would not preallocate exit row for me. The agent was happy to move me to an aisle seat, so I am less scared now

I tried to do the old DL trick: "if you don't get what you want, finish the conversation politely and call back", but it did not work for me. Second agent was as adamant as the first one ("sorry, we don't preallocate exit row seats").

Does anyone know when the check-in opens? Is it 3 hours prior the flight?

Thanks everyone Appreciate the help.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:07 am

miro,
I'd call and really be quite 'terse' with them, making a point of your height. If they can do it for me @ 193cm with only QP NB, I'm sure they can help you.

The height card is powerful if you can push it up far enough, just be polite and a little pushy. Always a possibility

Drew
Old Dec 11, 2005, 8:37 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Now my return portion is coming up, for which I am assigned 28D (middle seat, ouch). Since I am quite a big guy (198 cm) a legroom is an issue for me. Now to my questions.
28D is not a middle seat. On QF's 763's the seating is 2x3x2 as AB-DEF-JK. So 28D is an inside aisle seat. These are actually my preference since there is a reasonable chance that 28E (the middle seat) will not be allocated to anyone, leaving you a spare seat next to you, or possibly even 28F free as well for the best lie-flat bed in economy class on a 763.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.