Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why don't they assign seats?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:09 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I'll add my voice to the chorus of those that's happy with the way Qantas organises their domestic bookings at the moment as well. I've been well looked after with the system as it stands, especially in light of reasonably last minute bookings, still getting a decent seat near the front of the plane.

As mentioned before, having seen the number of aircraft type changes that get rotated through the schedule between when a booking's made and when you actually fly with Qantas, especially on a SYD-MEL or SYD-BNE route, I wouldn't hold much hope of retaining a decent seat with pre-booking anyway. And you can always change seats when you check-in anyway if you don't like what they've given you.

Also keep in mind on international routes they limit the pre-allocation of seats as well - so that plenty of seats are kept open for those with Elite status too. For a majority of INT travellers, they won't get their seats assigned till the day of the flight either.

Last edited by GibSpmuh; Nov 22, 2005 at 12:11 am
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:10 am

Just wondering, how do I ensure that my ow sapphire status gets recorded in my booking? The QF agents on the phone seem to have no idea what I'm talking about and insists that it is something they have no control over.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:14 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Having had the benefit of both the AA and QF systems, there are advantages to both. yes I usually got a good seat with QF. not always. On AA i get to choose the exact seat I want (invariably an exit row or other seat with more leg room). There is the obvious scenario on AA where you would be disadvantaged - eg buying a ticket last minute (or late) and there being other elites booked already who have taken all the good seats. It hasn't happened to me - although I am not sure how often it happens overall. And my guess is that if you buy a late ticket it will be Y or B and you will be upgraded anyway.

Obviously this doesn't speak to change of a/c.

The other obvious point to make is that as an EXP on AA you are unlikely to end up travelling even in the exit row seat you pre-selected - X all the way ^
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alect
The other obvious point to make is that as an EXP on AA you are unlikely to end up travelling even in the exit row seat you pre-selected - X all the way ^
Yes, well... at least Qantas doesn't give away its premium cabin like candy and does provide a pretty decent service in economy.. what meals and drinks do AA provide on, say, HNL-ORD in economy?

Dave
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:26 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Yes, well... at least Qantas doesn't give away its premium cabin like candy and does provide a pretty decent service in economy.. what meals and drinks do AA provide on, say, HNL-ORD in economy?

Dave

No argument there. "Premium" is difficult to define in terms of AA . And I don't know the answer (although could probably guess) to the HNL-ORD question - and hope never to find out

Actually I am an EXP AA must love - earn it almost exlcusively in F/J international segments. Very rarely fly domestically (and then in WHY). So I rarely partake in the EXP upgrade benefit - but recently did on LAX-MCO-LAX and cannot complain.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Dave
Two wrongs don't make a right....AA should serve drinks/meals HNL-ORD and Qantas should offer preassigned seats for their AKl-LAX/CHC-AKL/etc. all flights like eveyrone else does.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by AAaLot
Two wrongs don't make a right....AA should serve drinks/meals HNL-ORD and Qantas should offer preassigned seats for their AKl-LAX/CHC-AKL/etc. all flights like eveyrone else does.
But QF *do* offer flights on AKL-LAX ; it is only on domestic flights where they do not offer it. I would dispute that everyone else does, AA does, but that is not everyone. BA for example does not offer pre-allocation on Euro Traveller ( with a cpl of exceptions )

Dave
Old Nov 22, 2005, 1:11 am

With a bit of tweaking for res to acknowledge oneworld status better and a tweak to quickcheck to ensure Mr and Mrs Flyonceinayear don't plonk themselves into the middle's between 2 WPs in the first few row's QFs domestic allocation system would be perfect

If Flyertalk had a poll function we could even check the "public's" opinion on the matter :-:
Old Nov 22, 2005, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by QF009
Just wondering, how do I ensure that my ow sapphire status gets recorded in my booking? The QF agents on the phone seem to have no idea what I'm talking about and insists that it is something they have no control over.
Anyone?
Old Nov 22, 2005, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by QF009
Anyone?
Go to www.checkmytrip.com and enter your locator

when the flight details load, under your name it should say
Qantas Airways - AAxxxxxx

If it is missing or has another format a popular problem being it showing
American Airlines - AAxxxxxx

then call back, get the number removed and re entered. When it is in properly then your sapphire status will be in there although do not be surprised if it doesnt appear on boarding pass and dont risk asking them to reenter it at check in just to massage ya ego; they'll likely end up messing it up

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 22, 2005 at 1:33 am
Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:25 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
But QF *do* offer flights on AKL-LAX ; it is only on domestic flights where they do not offer it. I would dispute that everyone else does, AA does, but that is not everyone. BA for example does not offer pre-allocation on Euro Traveller ( with a cpl of exceptions )

Dave
I think most european airlines DONT pre allocate in Y for Euro routes.

I like the QF way.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:35 am

Thumbs up

Go to www.checkmytrip.com and enter your locator

when the flight details load, under your name it should say
Qantas Airways - AAxxxxxx

If it is missing or has another format a popular problem being it showing
American Airlines - AAxxxxxx

then call back, get the number removed and re entered. When it is in properly then your sapphire status will be in there although do not be surprised if it doesnt appear on boarding pass and dont risk asking them to reenter it at check in just to massage ya ego; they'll likely end up messing it up

Dave
Thanks for the tip! For my three itineraries it shows up correctly! ^
Old Nov 22, 2005, 4:03 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
QF please note: Don't change the current process. It works like a treat and like it the way it is. I always get a good seat and definitely a better seat than I would hope to achieve if pre-allocations were permitted. Most of my domestic flights are booked the day before travel and by that time all the forward aisle seats would have been pre-allocated by rif-raf semi-elite flyers. With QF's system I can arrive at the airport with confidence that I will get a forward aisle seat, and I don't have to call the airline or go on-line to try and grab a good seat as soon as my booking has been made.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 4:43 am

Programs: Gloria Jeans
Originally Posted by bravoecho
The reason they do this is to reward their loyal frequent flyers.

It stops Mr and Mrs Flyonceinayear from booking premium seats (eg. forward aisle, window etc) a year out and allowing their frequent flyers to be able to book a ticket a day in advance and still get a decent seat allocated.

I like it
Hmmm... doesn't work for me. I am a Gold FF and while I get my aisle seat preference, I am always at the back. Can there be that many Platinum and longer-flying Golds ahead of me on every flight?
Old Nov 22, 2005, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
About 18 months ago I had an interesting seat allocation issue with AA flights on a LONEX ticket.

I'm QF SG (OW Sapphire) and had pre-allocated seats on all my AA flights, however each time I checked-in for a flight I'd be allocated a different seat, and each time, further down the back!

Having gone to the trouble of calling AA, requesting and having specific seats confirmed it was a bit of a surprise, however at the time I didn't worry too much about it. But based on some of the posts in this thread, I'm wondering if there is a glitch in AA's supposedly 'ideal' system, or maybe I was just trumped by higher status flyers.

Personally, I'm quite happy with QF's current policy. Nearly all of my travel is Australian domestic, nearly all of it discount economy fares, and I always get a window seat (preference) and I'd say 95% of the time it's in the front few rows of the Y cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.