Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

TBIT or not TBIT, that is the question.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TBIT or not TBIT, that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2005, 6:04 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I would take LAX T4 FlagShip Lounge anyday over any lounge offered at TBIT. But if you are not OneWorld Emerald status, then I would be taking the most convenient flight option.

In my opinion, the problem with the TBIT lounges are the lack of showers and needing to go outside the loung for the toilets. Other than that, I would be happy with TBIT over the T4 AC (not FL). But if you have arrived from LHR on BA, you will lilely want some sort of shower facilities before embarking on another 14 hour flight sector.

Given that you will also have a long layover (from the 3pm BA arrival to a 10pm or later QF departure), how about a slight variation. Take BA285 LHR-SFO (arrives 1:15pm) and then a AA domestic SFO-LAX, arriving into T4. Use the showers at the T4 AC along with your complementary drink vouchers, before heading over to TBIT for the MEL flight.

You might as well be earning some extra SC's between SFO and LAX instead of just sitting around in a lounge. And you also get the use of some decent shower facilities.

Then its personal preference if you take QF26 or QF94.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by NM
I would take LAX T4 FlagShip Lounge anyday over any lounge offered at TBIT. But if you are not OneWorld Emerald status, then I would be taking the most convenient flight option. ...
I am (as of this weekend) oneWORLD Emerald ^ . As such I believe I would have access to the FL.

Originally Posted by NM
In my opinion, the problem with the TBIT lounges are the lack of showers and needing to go outside the loung for the toilets. Other than that, I would be happy with TBIT over the T4 AC (not FL). But if you have arrived from LHR on BA, you will lilely want some sort of shower facilities before embarking on another 14 hour flight sector.
Absolutely!

Originally Posted by NM
Given that you will also have a long layover (from the 3pm BA arrival to a 10pm or later QF departure), how about a slight variation. Take BA285 LHR-SFO (arrives 1:15pm) and then a AA domestic SFO-LAX, arriving into T4. Use the showers at the T4 AC along with your complementary drink vouchers, before heading over to TBIT for the MEL flight. ...
You might as well be earning some extra SC's between SFO and LAX instead of just sitting around in a lounge. And you also get the use of some decent shower facilities.

Then it's personal preference if you take QF26 or QF94.
Thanks NM, but as the LHR-LAX is part of a ticketed (and underway) DONE 4 with segments already maxed at 20, such a change would require a US$125 reticketing fee (LHR-SFO rather than LHR-LAX) as well as the purchase of a SFO-LAX fare. Also, given FL access in T4, the AC does not come into my calculations.

Last edited by serfty; Oct 30, 2005 at 7:13 pm
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:01 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Better still, find a cheap hotel near LAX with a shuttle. Spend 6 hrs horizontal in or on a real bed, shower at leisure, then go back to get your home bound flight of choice. Costs $, but may well be worth it.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og
Better still, find a cheap hotel near LAX with a shuttle. Spend 6 hrs horizontal in or on a real bed, shower at leisure, then go back to get your home bound flight of choice. Costs $, but may well be worth it.
Fully agree with this recommendation

That is what I did with the same connection requirements; swarmed off to the Hilton, went to pool, had meal, rested n showered and then went back to TBIT in time to hop on the plane

Dave
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:03 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by serfty
I am (as of this weekend) oneWORLD Emerald ^ . As such I believe I would have access to the FL.
Yes, you will! Congratulations on returning to the Emerald City. Now that is more of an incentive to go through T4.
Originally Posted by serfty
Thanks NM, but as the LHR-LAX is part of a ticketed (and underway) DONE 4 with segments already maxed at 20, such a change would require a US$125 reticketing fee (LHR-SFO rather than LHR-LAX) as well as the purchase of a SFO-LAX fare. Also, given FL access in T4, the AC does not come into my calculations.
Ahh, for some reason I had the impression you were doing this in WHY! Much better chance of survival in J. Now, just how did you manage to max out the 20 sectors without using your 6 north American sectors? I always look to use all 6 of these as they post a F class SCs .

So I would saving the change fee and taking og's suggestion of a hotel room. Since its going to be afternoon/evening, look for a hotel that will provide some tangible benefits as well as a shower and bed. Not sure of your hotel alliances, but Embassy Suites (there are two near LAX and part of Hilton chain) have a Managers Reception each night (5:30-7:30pm I think) with free drinks and snacks (usually just corn chips and salsa and popcorn).

And if you are just in transit you will still need to clear customs, but can immediately re-check you bags so you only need your carry-on with you, so saves something on the shuttle driver tipping process .
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:35 pm

Programs: QFF
Yes, the TBIT lounges are old and cramped as I got to experience again last month. As mentioned before there are no showers and no computers either.

Another strange thing about TBIT is that there is a First Class lounge exclusively for First Class passengers, and then a separate "First Class" lounge for OW Emeralds that are not flying F that day.

I don't know what the "First Class" - First Class lounge look like. But I don't think they have shower facilities either. Has anyone else experienced it?
Old Nov 1, 2005, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NM
Yes, you will! Congratulations on returning to the Emerald City. Now that is more of an incentive to go through T4.
Thanks

Originally Posted by NM
Ahh, for some reason I had the impression you were doing this in WHY! Much better chance of survival in J. Now, just how did you manage to max out the 20 sectors without using your 6 north American sectors? I always look to use all 6 of these as they post a F class SCs .
Actaully, I have used the 6 NA sectors, all booked in A class :

-LAX-DFW-SEA-DFW-ANC-DFW-JFK-

A total of 12,130 miles; with cabin and status bonus: 30325 points (Not to mention the 780 SC's. ^).

Originally Posted by NM
So I would saving the change fee and taking og's suggestion of a hotel room. Since its going to be afternoon/evening, look for a hotel that will provide some tangible benefits as well as a shower and bed. Not sure of your hotel alliances, but Embassy Suites (there are two near LAX and part of Hilton chain) have a Managers Reception each night (5:30-7:30pm I think) with free drinks and snacks (usually just corn chips and salsa and popcorn).

And if you are just in transit you will still need to clear customs, but can immediately re-check you bags so you only need your carry-on with you, so saves something on the shuttle driver tipping process .
og & NM, That sounds like a terrific idea; I am a HHonors Gold (thanx FT ^ ) so I will investigate the best option(s).

Last edited by serfty; Nov 1, 2005 at 4:18 pm
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:58 pm

Or you could do as I did a month ago, use the T4 lounge for showers, a couple of drinks and comfortable seats for a couple af hours, then stroll across to TBIT. If the security cues are short, then you have time for another drink at TBIT QP (not the nicest place, and a full house when I was there, but there is booze and nibbles, so easily bearable for half an hour). Saves the extra flights.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sequel
Or you could do as I did a month ago, use the T4 lounge for showers, a couple of drinks and comfortable seats for a couple af hours, then stroll across to TBIT. If the security cues are short, then you have time for another drink at TBIT QP (not the nicest place, and a full house when I was there, but there is booze and nibbles, so easily bearable for half an hour). Saves the extra flights.
I'm arriving at TBIT from LHR on BA so if I depart from TBIT, no T4 (i.e. FL/AC) access will be available.

In fact, I have now decided. I will book LAX-SYD-MEL and investigate costs for 5 hr snooze option.

Last edited by serfty; Nov 3, 2005 at 4:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.