Wiki Posts
Search

Qf4

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS (G), BA (G)
Question Qf4

Next month (15th) I have the pleasure [no sarcasm intended] of taking my first flight with QF, from HNL to SYD. I understand that this flight is a 2-class configuration of the 747-300 (presumably this flight caters mainly for the leisure market which explains the lack of an F cabin?).

Upon browsing the seat maps on QF's website there seem to be 2 different versions of the 747-338, one of which (designation VH-EBV) details that it has a main video screen in J! Does this indicate lack of PTV?

Does anyone have any knowledge of this route with regard to service and comfort? If I am going to be threatened by one of QF's older planes I would like to know about it!

Thank you in advance, fellow flyers.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't think that there is any 743 flying to HNL without individual screens so you should be fine.

Dave
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:02 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Exclamation 743: 52J/398Y, PTVs, Mood Lighting, Dreamtime Seats

Hi Dave and David,

The only 747-338 without updated J and PTVs throughout is poor Nalanji Dreaming (VH-EBU) which is currently sitting at Avalon being used for spare parts. All other 747-338s have the 52J/398Y config.

And David, I can assure the 743s are nice. Mood lighting, comfy dreamtime seats etc - even economy is nice. The 743 is an amazing plane. As I have not flown this route before I cannot comment on service, but I have read a number of trip reports which have said service was good.

And with that in mind, I am yet to encounter a bad and unfriendly Qantas F/A. All have been top notch.

Enjoy your flight ^

Last edited by QF NB; Oct 10, 2005 at 12:05 am
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:56 am

Just thought I might post a few pictures...

This is the interior all 747-338s have (apart from Nalanji).

Business
Economy

The following are the interiors the 743s use to have and which Nalanji still has today. Note that the J seats are from 1979 (when QF introduced J - first in world I believe or was it AA?) and even have little PTVs . The seats are exactly the same as VH-EBQ ex QF 747-238 out at Longreach.

Business
Economy
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS (G), BA (G)
Thank you, gentlemen, for taking the time to address my rather mundane query. The pics of the J class cabin remind me somewhat of VS J cabin before the introduction of the new suites.

I have found this forum to be very informative.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Qantas was the company that introduced J class in 1979 ( the same year that they became an all 747 airline) , though I thought that originally J had the same seats as Y

Dave
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:29 am

Thank you, gentlemen, for taking the time to address my rather mundane query. The pics of the J class cabin remind me somewhat of VS J cabin before the introduction of the new suites.

I have found this forum to be very informative.
No problems. I like helping people out and answering their questions where possible. As Randy has said, there have been many good reports about the QF forum - keep up the good work everyone ^

Qantas was the company that introduced J class in 1979 ( the same year that they became an all 747 airline) , though I thought that originally J had the same seats as Y
You are probably right, but that interior (743) was the same that I saw while onboard EBQ ex QF 742 in FEB - so unless it has had an upgrade during the 80's or something?

EDIT: QF if you are reading this we need a QF employee to join and help us out with things like this ^

Last edited by QF NB; Oct 10, 2005 at 1:37 am
Old Nov 27, 2005, 6:09 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF Plat, UA 1k, SPG Gold, IC Ambassador
I have a fairly large concern!!

I am flying HNL to SYD in Business Class on Feb 5. According to the Qantas WWW, QF4 is NOT a 747, but a 767-300!!

Can anyone confirm this? This means a domestic style business class, no personal TVs etc for a 10 hour, 35 minute flight!!!

Please tell me I am wrong.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 6:35 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club
Originally Posted by thehaloboy

I am flying HNL to SYD in Business Class on Feb 5. According to the Qantas WWW, QF4 is NOT a 747, but a 767-300!!

Can anyone confirm this? This means a domestic style business class, no personal TVs etc for a 10 hour, 35 minute flight!!!

You are wrong.

International business class = dreamtime seat, personal TV.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 6:39 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club
Originally Posted by QF NB
You are probably right, but that interior (743) was the same that I saw while onboard EBQ ex QF 742 in FEB - so unless it has had an upgrade during the 80's or something?

EDIT: QF if you are reading this we need a QF employee to join and help us out with things like this ^
You are right.

In any case the 743 was introduced in 1985 and I can remember at least one other seat design before the one shown.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 6:40 am

Even on a 767-300? Thanks for the quick reply...
Old Nov 27, 2005, 6:47 am

Hello thehaloboy

No need to worry. Your flight will be operated by a Qantas 767-338 with Dreamtime Business seats and will have PTVs.

Only 3 767-338s are currently in the Domestic [Millennium] Business Class layout namely VH-OGD/E/F. Note the seat configuration for your plane will be 2 x 2 x 1, unlike 2 x 2 x 2 on found on the 763s with Millennium J seats.

Here is a photo of the Dreamtime configured 763.

and here is a photo of what the cabin of the 763 looks like with the Millennium Domestic Business product.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 8:08 am

Thank you soooo much! You have made my honeymoon!!! I really was worried, as when I last flew from Tokyo to BNE I upgraded myself to business on that flight, and was sooo bummed that I only had the Millennium seats.

Thank you!
Old Nov 27, 2005, 4:02 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
The only difference between the 763 and 743 Dreamtime seats is the size of the IFE screen. The 763's still have the old, smaller screen and the picture quality is a little disappointing. This is the same screen as the 747-400 used to have before they got the upgrade about 4-5 years ago at the same time as the 744 Y cabin got personal screens. So many of us have used these same screens on plenty of flights much longer than QF3/4.

But the programming is the same. And the rest of the seat is exactly the same as other Dreamtime seats.

The 767-338 is a nice aircraft in J.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver

I have checked the seat map for that flight.

It is showing 1x2x2, so, at this stage you are definitely in for "Dreamtime" seats with personal IFE.

Have you obtained seat preallocation yet? There appear to be plenty left with only 1K, 2A, 3K & 5E/F taken.

Enjoy your flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.