Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new routes for A330-300

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by SYDguy
Beijing is going to be a 330 from 09Jan, and isn't Mumbai going to switch to a 330?
ZRH-BOM is on A330-200 on Swissair.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:57 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by merrygp
ZRH-BOM is on A330-200 on Swissair.
That's nice - and it is relevant because?

Dave
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:36 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Emerald One World, Starwood Platinum
QF NB,
Thanks for the welcome!!! I will be travelling business both ways. I assume that the flight over won't have the new sky beds installed in the 747-300?? I thought that this is a direct flight, I noticed that a previous post had this route vis Darwin??
Thanks
Russella
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Russella
QF NB,
Thanks for the welcome!!! I will be travelling business both ways. I assume that the flight over won't have the new sky beds installed in the 747-300?? I thought that this is a direct flight, I noticed that a previous post had this route vis Darwin??
The 743 will not be getting Skybeds. The Mumbai flights will be changing to A330, which do not have the legs to do the trip non-stop, hence the stopover in DRW (PER would be better, by marketting wise would seem like a backwad step) - once converted to A330, the flights will be Skybed equipped.

(Seems to me that the Mumbai flights would be better suited to the 332, since they have longer legs, would need the floor strengthening issues to be resolved though).

Dave
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:27 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by thadocta
(Seems to me that the Mumbai flights would be better suited to the 332, since they have longer legs, would need the floor strengthening issues to be resolved though).

Dave
But with it being a two-sector route now, there is the opportunity to charge two Fuel Surcharges if they use the A330 and stop in Darwin .

I heard the floor strengthening process would cost $20M - but not sure if that is for one aircraft or all 4 of them? Probably no point in paying the costs now and just move them to JQ or AO when they shiny new aircraft arrive next decade . A much as the A332's are not ideally suited to domestic services, there is not a lot of options in the current fleet. Though A332 with Dreamtimes is probably a better option for some of the medium international services than 763 or 743 with Dreamtimes (thinking BOM, NRT, MNL) and start to make use of the A332's range capability.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:07 pm

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
Speaking of fuel surcharges - this interesting bit in the SMH today:

Airline fuel surcharges have been labelled everything from a necessity to "money for jam".

But some fancy abacus work from Credit Suisse analysts confirms that Qantas passengers have indeed been picking up more than their fair share of the cost of aviation fuel.

As the table (right) shows, while some fuel surcharges on Qantas tickets have risen fourfold since their introduction in May last year, the price of Singapore jet aviation fuel in comparison has risen significantly less, up 70 per cent in US dollars and 56 per cent in Aussie dollars.

The analysts who crunched the numbers admitted "there is a significant disparity between the quantum of the increase and the increase in Singjet".

They explained the difference as "due to the reduction in hedging cover by Qantas through the period and the further reduction in hedging through the second half of 2006".

But CSFB thinks Qantas is still going to suffer from rising oil prices despite the surcharges. It has downgraded forecasts for Qantas net profit in 2006 by 8 per cent, 2007 by 12 per cent and 2008 by 9 per cent.

This is only a partial regurgitation. The full comment is here:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/xchange/f...191717804.html
Old Oct 5, 2005, 1:08 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Emerald One World, Starwood Platinum
[QUOTE=thadocta]The 743 will not be getting Skybeds. The Mumbai flights will be changing to A330, which do not have the legs to do the trip non-stop, hence the stopover in DRW (PER would be better, by marketting wise would seem like a backwad step) - once converted to A330, the flights will be Skybed equipped.

Dave[/QUOTE
Thadocta,
I checked my booking on the Qantas web site. QF123 on the 747-300 shows non-stop, 12.05mins as does QF124 on the A330-300, 12.05 on the return??? I hope they both have the legs!!!
Regards
Russella
Old Oct 5, 2005, 1:58 am

Going "north" headwinds may be a factor, coming back tailwinds help. e.g. AC was able to fly their 340 (not a 330 I know) non-stop SYD-YVR but had to refuel in HNL on the way out. Myabe there is a genuine DWN-BOM market!
Old Oct 5, 2005, 3:17 am
NM

Originally Posted by Russella
I checked my booking on the Qantas web site. QF123 on the 747-300 shows non-stop, 12.05mins as does QF124 on the A330-300, 12.05 on the return??? I hope they both have the legs!!!
Regards
Russella
The QF124 BOM-SYD operated by A330-300 will be non-stop. Its only the outbound QF123 that will stop in Darwin when it is operated by A330-300.

Last edited by NM; Oct 5, 2005 at 6:58 pm Reason: Get the flight number right
Old Oct 5, 2005, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by infoworks
But some fancy abacus work from Credit Suisse analysts confirms that Qantas passengers have indeed been picking up more than their fair share of the cost of aviation fuel.

As the table (right) shows, while some fuel surcharges on Qantas tickets have risen fourfold since their introduction in May last year, the price of Singapore jet aviation fuel in comparison has risen significantly less, up 70 per cent in US dollars and 56 per cent in Aussie dollars.

The analysts who crunched the numbers admitted "there is a significant disparity between the quantum of the increase and the increase in Singjet".
Another demonstration by journalists of how to display numbers to innumerate people in a way which makes a wholly fallacious "point".

Where's the bucket?
Old Oct 5, 2005, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Where's the bucket?
Probably being used to catch any drips for filling other fuel tanks
Old Oct 5, 2005, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by NM
The QF123 BOM-SYD operated by A330-300 will be non-stop. Its only the outbound QF123 that stops in Darwin.
Interesting, all web sites I have checked show the SYD-BOM as non stop even though it may indeed stop in DRW.

More to the point; it seems impossible to book it ex DRW to BOM.

In fact, on the QF site, I requested a timetable DRW-BOM for 23rd December and it gave me:
QF829 / QF123 Darwin - Sydney - Mumbai 00:30, 23 Dec 16:30, 23 Dec ...
Old Oct 5, 2005, 5:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
isnt that normally the case for tech stop? keeps the time on the ground to a minimum
Old Oct 5, 2005, 6:08 pm
NM

Originally Posted by serfty
Interesting, all web sites I have checked show the SYD-BOM as non stop even though it may indeed stop in DRW.

More to the point; it seems impossible to book it ex DRW to BOM.

In fact, on the QF site, I requested a timetable DRW-BOM for 23rd December and it gave me:
Maybe that is because on 23rd December, QF123 is being operated by a 743 and hence is non-stop .
Originally Posted by QF NB
First Sydney-Mumbai flight with A330 begins SUN 8th JAN 2006.
Even on a metric calender, 23rd December 2005 is before 8th Jan 2006 .
Old Oct 5, 2005, 6:10 pm
NM

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
isnt that normally the case for tech stop? keeps the time on the ground to a minimum
From 8th Jan 2006, QF123 is being sold as DRW-BOM. But to get back to Darwin will require routing via SYD since the return A330-300 operated QF124 does not require the stop in DRW and hence is non-stop to SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.