Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Priority/Business/First tags for FF's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:33 am
Original Poster

When will Qantas train their staff correctly about the various benefits for FF's?

Checked my bags in a domestic airport for International journey last week. CSA tagged them Business. I mentioned that Plats should have First tags. "Oh, we don't have any here". Funny that. I remember having my bags tagged "F" before from the same domestic airport. If it's a published benefit, then they should have the tags.

Another domestic airport a month or so ago. Bag was not tagged with Priority or Business. Ended up coming out near the end of the normal bags.

Not major issues in the scheme of things. Annoying though when you would have had a much shorter taxi queue if your bag came out on time / would have had cheaper parking etc etc etc.

I know for international flights that the barcode mostly determines the baggage handling rather than the tags. Is domestic the same??? Is the tagging really just a "stroke factor"?
Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:43 am

Programs: Qantas WP
Tags are worth while

I have also noticed that QF Check in staff do not know that Plats are allowed Business class tagging on domestic and First class tags on International. Probably 30-40% of the time I have to remind them.
In one case I was not believed and she actually rang a supervisor.

As for it is worth it?
Absolutely.

We went to Cairns in July, 4 cases, one for each of the LuckyDog family, all with the Business tags they came out very early in each direction.
Made Mrs Luckydog very happy.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Which international location were you going to? Unless the flight has 1st class then business class tags are correct

Dave
Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:47 am
Original Poster

3 class plane. So F tags were the right option.

Qantas should actually change their online guide to FF benefits. It says "...First class baggage tags on international flights"

Only reason I know it's Business for Domestic and First for international (except 2 class planes) is from hanging out here.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:59 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
[QUOTE=Aus_Mal]When will Qantas train their staff correctly about the various benefits for FF's?

Checked my bags in a domestic airport for International journey last week. CSA tagged them Business. I mentioned that Plats should have First tags. "Oh, we don't have any here". Funny that. I remember having my bags tagged "F" before from the same domestic airport. If it's a published benefit, then they should have the tags.

Another domestic airport a month or so ago. Bag was not tagged with Priority or Business. Ended up coming out near the end of the normal bags.

[QUOTE]

Which airport?

NTL, for example, has no business or first services departing from there - so you get "Priority" tags, regardless of your status or onward service.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Cairns Dom for the "no tags" incident.
Brisbane Dom for the "no first tags" incident.

As I said before, I have been given F tagging on another Intl flight from Bris Domestic...
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:21 am

What tags should a gold FF get?
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by MilesDependent
SG=Priority!
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:26 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by MilesDependent
The numbered metal type that hang around your neck, perhaps??

Just remove them when going through the metal detector .
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:44 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I of course fly into Cairns regularly and its usually sitting behind the first 4 rows! After a couple of years of finding that my bags tagged J often came out near the end of the process I now ask them NOT to tag the bags if I am flying Y to Cairns.
I do not know why that is the case but it would happen 3 out of 4 times. Travelling out of Cairns the J tag helps most of the time but not flying in , from my experience.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:29 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Twice now the SYD T1 F check-in staff have stated that they will not put a F tag on my bag for a SYD-CHC flight since there is no F class baggage container and that'll only confuse the baggage handlers.

That story sounded like cr@p to me.

In any case, the bags came out near to first with the orange tag that was applied. No issue really.

BUT checking in at BOS on Monday for BOS-(AA)-JFK-(QF)-SYD, I asked the BOS check-in lady if she could put a priority tag on the bags. She gladly added an AA "Premium" tag without any further comment. Unfortunately, the bags emerged at SYD about 15 min after the first lot of bags turned up. I suppose the container with our bags was way down the back of the hold and joining LAX bags came out first. At least there was no one in the taxi queue.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og
Twice now the SYD T1 F check-in staff have stated that they will not put a F tag on my bag for a SYD-CHC flight since there is no F class baggage container and that'll only confuse the baggage handlers.

Why does it sound like cr4p? If there is no 1st class on the aircraft then they don't put 1st class tags on since , as logically follows, there is no 1st class container to put the bags in

Dave
Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:46 am

Programs: QF Gold, PC Plat, HH Silver
Originally Posted by luckydog
I have also noticed that QF Check in staff do not know that Plats are allowed Business class tagging on domestic and First class tags on International.
Agree that QF check in staff do not know or care about Platinum privileges. As a very frequent domestic flyer, my checked in luggage has only been tagged Business on 2 occasions out of the 87 one way flights in the last 9 months. On all the other occasions, the luggage got a Priority tag.

BTW, the 87 one way domestic flights are mostly on red edeals as my employer want to keep costs down due to my frequency of travel. Have requalified WP until Dec 2006. Maybe the price of the ticket means you don't get the Business tags on the luggage. I've never bothered complaining.

However, I have been op upgraded (paged in the QP) to Business on flights, once from Adelaide to Sydney, and once from Sydney to Melbourne.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by og

In any case, the bags came out near to first with the orange tag that was applied. No issue really. ...
AFAIK, a WP is is oneWORLD Emerald; when travelling with QF you are eligible for priority tags equivalent to the highest available travel class for the flight regardless of your actual class of travel. i.e. First, Business or Priority.

I would have simply requested Business tags in those cases where first was not available.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 3:30 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why does it sound like cr4p? If there is no 1st class on the aircraft then they don't put 1st class tags on since , as logically follows, there is no 1st class container to put the bags in

Dave
I suggested it was cr4p because the emphasis of the story was that it was the baggage handlers who would be confused - as though they ran the whole process. Really, the issue is purely academic as in reality we all know that we are in the lap of the gods overseeing the unloading process and those unloaders just get the job done rather than specifically seeking out yellow, then purple then orange tags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.