Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF Staff travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by downunderexpress
Thanks for your thoughts folks
However it seems to be impossible to get a definitive answer to the original question which is : "Is it possible for a companion of a Qantas staff member to travel ID90 alone on another airline eg on a OneWorld airline ?" ...

I tried to contact Qantas staff travel but they just give vague or unclear answers over the phone .. I wonder if anyone out there knows the answer for sure .. thanks
Sorry.. did mean to get to this. My parents have travelled on CX on staff travel, QEB.

It depends on the airline and destination, if you have access to staff travel website it should be clearly set out on the interline agreements section. And staff travel would have been able to tell you, perhaps they need more specific information.

A point to note about the staff travel counter in SYD - they arent just there to serve staff travellers. All stand by passengers are usually sent there so their attitude should reflect that of any Qantas staff member working on any check in counter. Instead you are subject to their moods, their talking about their weekend just gone and coming up and one time I overheard them discussing matters of a sexual nature. Meanwhile someones flight has closed and they are told to come back in 3 hours as they arent taking anymore baggage for that flight but if they had just called him through instead of discussing their personal matters it may have saved 5 minutes.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 5:05 am

downunderexpress

Since it seems you have access to staff travel, the website has all the information you need regarding different polices and entitlements. It under the 2nd to last tab from memory, but as i've said I cannot log in until the 16th.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 5:44 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
QF staff travel

Its a perk but not much of a perk.

I think its fine when you get to be very senior in the airline, but I have travelled standby when I was in the industry and it was always a pain in the butt. You would ring, and check on a flight 3 days before, after checking the loads, then it would all change. You would sit in the standby lounge waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting to be told not this flight maybe the next one.

i know that staff do get some confirmed space tickets for anniversay dates, or their 10 year trip, anywhere on the network sometimes in J.

I had friends who took the kids to LA got Y going over and hated it, then managed to get J on the way home.

Its not that good a deal

Adam
Old Apr 8, 2008, 5:52 am

Thanks Workflyer & eoinnz for the very helpful info ^
I'll do a bit more exploring and try out various hypothetical reservations on the website, and if necessary I'll ask the staff travel people (nicely & politely - after all it costs nothing to be polite )
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Its a perk but not much of a perk.

I think its fine when you get to be very senior in the airline, but I have travelled standby when I was in the industry and it was always a pain in the butt. You would ring, and check on a flight 3 days before, after checking the loads, then it would all change. You would sit in the standby lounge waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting to be told not this flight maybe the next one.

i know that staff do get some confirmed space tickets for anniversay dates, or their 10 year trip, anywhere on the network sometimes in J.

I had friends who took the kids to LA got Y going over and hated it, then managed to get J on the way home.

Its not that good a deal

Adam
I don't know when you last used industry travel (and it's a different experience from doing it say as a travel agent to an actual employee) but I've always been able to get on, and staff look out for staff and most crew will give up crew rest seats to allow them to get on. Cabin Crew can even travel in the flight deck but this usually only happens on short flights using large aircraft like across the ditch. You can use the staff travel website to check loads so it's easy to plan, and make backup plans if the flights are looking full. And generally most staff won't travel during busy periods and the staff travel department regularly sends out memos on what flights are full and empty to help staff plan. No ringing up (though some airlines you do have to list, like BA but it's easily done online). Can change dates and refund tickets all online as well.

Seniority plays a very very small part, as I've said I've always got on. Also staff travel check-in is only an hour and it's usually straight from check-in to the plane - it's fantastic.

I saved over $1700 for my last ticket compared to buying a normal ticket - if that's not much of a perk then what is? I think it's a good deal and am certainly not complaining, nor have I heard any other staff complain either.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:47 am

Have to agree with eoinnz, I have had a couple of cancelled flights that have disrupted me but when it came down to it, it was either weather or engineering and all the passengers who wanted to travel were disrupted. Only difference is I had only paid a fraction of the price and due to planning had the extra time up my sleeve anyway.

With regards to seniority, I have a reasonable edge over some people, but it isnt a real issue. The best thing for me though is being able to grab a seat in any class on offer which can make a big difference, especially travelling to Europe or the US.

All the best for the next chapter eoinnz, just out of curiosity are they giving you immediate staff travel?
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:31 am

Can retain current QF/JQ staff travel benefits, have to wait 6 months for "all airlines" but I can use world interline if I really have to travel on another airline. No dramas though - I lose all my leave so won't be going anywhere until the end of the year in which I'll be able to use it by then.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:36 pm

Programs: QF Bronze
Originally Posted by workflyer
Have to agree with eoinnz, I have had a couple of cancelled flights that have disrupted me but when it came down to it, it was either weather or engineering and all the passengers who wanted to travel were disrupted. Only difference is I had only paid a fraction of the price and due to planning had the extra time up my sleeve anyway.

With regards to seniority, I have a reasonable edge over some people, but it isnt a real issue. The best thing for me though is being able to grab a seat in any class on offer which can make a big difference, especially travelling to Europe or the US.

All the best for the next chapter eoinnz, just out of curiosity are they giving you immediate staff travel?
I agree with workflyer. My category gives me a fairly significant boost especially when it comes to upgrades. Having said that I'm lucky if I use it once a year anyway and so far I have never yet missed out for an upgrade.
Here's hoping that next time will go just a well.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:15 pm

Programs: QF Gold MB Gold Elite
Originally Posted by downunderexpress
Thanks for your thoughts folks
However it seems to be impossible to get a definitive answer to the original question which is : "Is it possible for a companion of a Qantas staff member to travel ID90 alone on another airline eg on a OneWorld airline ?" ...

I tried to contact Qantas staff travel but they just give vague or unclear answers over the phone .. I wonder if anyone out there knows the answer for sure .. thanks
Certainly was the case for CX staff a number of years ago (still is I think).
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:03 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Back when I was QEB (and then QEA), I'm sure I travelled domestically without my then wife (now a long time ex ^). But this was back in 1992/93, so things could have changed then.

BTW, under the clocks, harking back to the original post - I think I know that family you mentioned in the OP (I was dating an Intl Long Haul FA whose father died around that time and her mother and sister used to use the travel entitlements). She was based ex-MEL back then, but had sister and mother in BNE and sister overseas (that they used to visit).
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:05 am

QEA/B on QF/JQ can travel with out the staff member. Other airlines may impose other restrictions.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:04 pm

A380 Grounded, staff travel embargo?

With the six A380s out of service is there currently a staff travel embargo?

Are the 747s chock-a-block on the A380 routes ?

They may not be full but LAX-SYD/MEL might be weight restricted leaving empty seats (and pax behind)
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:39 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Standby makes it self regulating

Staff know to avoid the LAX and LHR flights on QF as they have little chance right now, however there are 30 other airlines to pick from and something is always available. I've never used an IDxx fare but know lots who do, with no difficulty.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:44 am

There is currently a staff travel embargo for all flights to Europe, USA, SIN, HKG, BKK and NRT. This is for all leisure and non essential duty travel. At this stage it is in place until November 30.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by screech
There is currently a staff travel embargo for all flights to Europe, USA, SIN, HKG, BKK and NRT. This is for all leisure and non essential duty travel. At this stage it is in place until November 30.
I wonder if this is really necessary, considering that, a couple of days ago, I bought a class V SIN-MEL ticket 6 hours before departure, and had a spare seat next to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.