Search

head phones

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: US SP, LH M&M
head phones

Hey,

just wondering if someone could help me out with a quick question...
what kind of headphones do they use on qantas planes? are they free or do u have to pay for them?
thanx
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:54 am

Programs: VA Silver, VA Lounge, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by sunniecloud
Hey,

what kind of headphones do they use on qantas planes? are they free or do u have to pay for them?
thanx
Qantas have free headphones which are available from a basket as you board the aerobridge, if they are not handed to you before boarding. They're also available on-board from the FAs. Hopefully there will be something good on for you to watch :P If you used your own though, i would imagine you'd only get sound through one ear, seeing as Qantas headphones have a double plug for audio, as opposed to the single plug of your own headphones. (Me fail english.. that's unpossible! it's late, cut me some slack :P)
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Liam0s is referring to domestic flights. For international flights headphones should be in the seat pocket in front.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Liam0s
If you used your own though, i would imagine you'd only get sound through one ear, seeing as Qantas headphones have a double plug for audio, as opposed to the single plug of your own headphones.
I have a set of Bose QuietComfort 2 Noise Cancelling Headphones, and have no problems on QF flights receiving sound through both ears.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by sunniecloud
Hey,

thanx
To add to the other answers; Qantas provide complimentary headphonse on a 'loan' basis; they are not to keep.

The quality of them varies from two basic models used in all classes domestically and international economy, to "quality noise cancelling headphones" in Business and First.

In economy on international flights, your headsets are generally distributed to you just before or after takeoff. They are then collected from you prior to landing.

In Business & First class, your headphone will be available when you arrive at your seat; either in the pocket in front of you or in a slot down beside you armrest.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:55 am

Location: Melbourne, Gold Coast [Alternates throughout the year)
Programs: QF FF, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Liam0s
Qantas have free headphones ....If you used your own though, i would imagine you'd only get sound through one ear, seeing as Qantas headphones have a double plug for audio, as opposed to the single plug of your own headphones.
I don't think that's the truth. I used my iPod supplied earphone (single plug) on QF 734 yesterday as opposed to the headset provided as it was much easier to sleep with it on. The music came out from both plugs without any interruptions as far as i was aware when using either outlet.

I presume that the twin plugs were used initially so that people wouldn't take them off planes and keep it themselves. However, most laptops now come with twin earphone outlets for 'enhanced quality' of sound...
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:00 am

Programs: UA GM, QF Bronze, Sugar and Spice buy 6 cups get one free offer card holder
Originally Posted by serfty
To add to the other answers; Qantas provide complimentary headphonse on a 'loan' basis; they are not to keep.
For some reason on domestic flights the headphones are not collected back, but International they are. (Not that they are worth collecting, thier quality can be a bit dodgy.)
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:30 am

Programs: VA Silver, VA Lounge, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by under the clocks
I have a set of Bose QuietComfort 2 Noise Cancelling Headphones, and have no problems on QF flights receiving sound through both ears.
Meh, I knew someone would correct me if I was wrong. It was only a guess, I've never actually tried
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:29 pm

AFAIK, YMMV for the double plug sockets. The 744's and 743's I believe you'll get away with standard headphones. The A33x's and 767x's and 73x's you will not be able to get away without an adaptor. It depends how the system is wired.

Drew
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:41 pm

Programs: QF LTS, AA 2MM, CO
Originally Posted by under the clocks
I also use the QC2's but have always put in the 2-1 adaptor. They actually work without the adaptor?

Seats with 3 holes for the headphones, the third hole is power for the noise cancelling. Again, I've never tried to use just the one plug, always had the 2-1 adaptor.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
When flying international Biz, what type of headphones are provided, LAX-MEL and SYD-LAX? I'm wondering if I should bother to bring my Bose QC2 ?
Old Jul 22, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
The headphones provided in international biz are not as good as a pair of Bose QC2's but they do exactly what they need to in the noise cancelling department. If I was taking the Bose just for the inflight entertainment and not to use inconjunction with a music player I would trade off the slightly lower levels of cancelling that you get with the inflight versions versus having to carry the QC2's around.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 7:34 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Dudemon
When flying international Biz, what type of headphones are provided, LAX-MEL and SYD-LAX? I'm wondering if I should bother to bring my Bose QC2 ?
Note that QF use a 3-pin connection for their NC headphones in international J and F. Two pins for audio and one for power for the NC circuitry. So to use you own headphones, you will need a 2-pin connector such as this one. I carry one of these in my Shure E3 case.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
Thanks NM & nonce, I'll take my QC2s because I will have my mp3 player with me.

BTW, I was thinking of charging my Zune using one of the hotel computers or something. Will this be okay or will the 220 power be problematic?
Old Jul 22, 2007, 8:45 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Dudemon
BTW, I was thinking of charging my Zune using one of the hotel computers or something. Will this be okay or will the 220 power be problematic?
Assuming your device charges via USB connection, the voltage at the mains is irrelevant. USB provides 5v.

The QF business class seats provide 110V AC power with a universal connector that will accept most country's plugs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.