Wiki Posts
Search

via KGI for extra fuel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
via KGI for extra fuel

Last night I arrived on a flight to Perth, and had a glance at the arrivals boards and noticed that flights QF719 (CBR-PER) and QF767 (BNE-PER) both had via KGI for extra fuel noted next to them.

Anyone have any insight as to how or why this could happen? I thought of the wind, but I arrived on another flight and there was no mention of strong headwinds or anything (only that we were delayed in MEL while they de-iced the wings)
Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:55 pm

There seems to have been a few re-routes to Perth yest.

QF565 Sydney Routed via Adelaide
QF1923 Ayers Rock (Uluru) Routed via Kalgoorlie
QF719 Canberra Routed via Kalgoorlie
QF767 Brisbane Routed via Kalgoorlie

As for why - I'm unsure.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 1:05 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Could they possibly be 734s and near their safe range (with reserves), or possibly PER JetA1 supplies may be stretched (ie that they have a fair amount of fuel on arrival so return demand is less)?
Old Jun 18, 2005, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by og
Could they possibly be 734s and near their safe range (with reserves), or possibly PER JetA1 supplies may be stretched (ie that they have a fair amount of fuel on arrival so return demand is less)?
Don't know what operated those flights yesterday but they are normally 73H (except Ayers Rock which is normally a 146)
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:22 am

Thoughts that come to mind:

- If all diverts were same type of aircraft, was there an issue with the refuelling truck's equipment in PER

- Shortage of fuel in PER

- Overdelivery of fuel or an abundance of old fuel in KGI

- Too many PER refuelling staff absent or had an OHS issue occur

- Dodge tourism drive to encourage more people to consider KGI as a tourist destination when next they fly.

- KGI is making a play to become the new capital of WA, bribing QF being their first step.

-Puchu (not paranoid, just overly concious about people...hey...you...stop filming me through my monitor)
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:04 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by perthite
Anyone have any insight as to how or why this could happen? I thought of the wind, but I arrived on another flight and there was no mention of strong headwinds or anything (only that we were delayed in MEL while they de-iced the wings)
If it is the wind, the problem is light headwinds for westbound ... and light tailwinds for eastbound, eliminating the customary free ride. It sounds like a runway restriction maybe combined with light winds that caused these flights to be short on fuel.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
One Word: Headwinds
Code:
QF565 	 SYD PER SYD-ADL VXQ (73H)
                 ADL-PER VXJ (73H)

QF1923 	 AYQ PER AYQ-KGI NJC (141)
                 KGI-PER  " 

QF719 	 CBR PER CBR-KGI VXB (73H)
                 KGI-PER  "

QF767 	 BNE-PER BNE-KGI VXF (73H)
                 KGI-PER  "
In all four cases, the flight had departed before the reroute was assessed for an "Additional Stop".

Last edited by serfty; Jun 19, 2005 at 7:41 pm Reason: BNE???
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
So 767 didnt make it to PER? What about the pax (going to PER or returning from PER)?
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
So 767 didnt make it to PER? What about the pax (going to PER or returning from PER)?
Sorry K/F, that was a typo

Thanx for the heads-up, 'tis now fixed. ^
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:29 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I flew MEL-SYD-MEL on the afternoon/evening of Saturday (18th June) and the winds were pretty strong - we had a 0:49 flight time eastbound (normally it's around 1:00) and a 1:16 westbound (!)...

Almost certainly the winds got in the way of those dinky 737's trying to ply all the way out west...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.