Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Platinum Members *NOT WELCOME* In Qantas Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Members *NOT WELCOME* In Qantas Club

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal

One issue I don't think has been properly covered is the allegation that upsetting language was used against QF staff.

From what I read (I wasn't there so can't comment fully) other non-FT guests were also removed if they weren't flying.

Is it possible that one or more of them let off a barrage of abuse when advised that they were being removed? I'm sure some people would be very offended if they were being removed from a place they thought they had full access to ...
Actually I do think it as been rather well covered.

If you read all 165 posts in this thread, you will find several of those who were there have clearly stated they neither heard, nor were aware at the time, nor even heard discussed afterwards, any instance of any in-appropriate language used by any FlyerTalker.

We went to supper at Darling Harbour after this incident at 6pm, and then most of us went on to a 4 hour Harbour cruise after that at 7.30pm. This matter was discussed of course most heavily among us at both events. I feel sure if one of our number had let fly a verbal barrage others would have heard it, or discussed it later among ourselves. I am aware of absolutely nothing of this type being said by FT'ers.

I agree the comments here are largely one-sided, as Qantas as yet have chosen to say nothing officially, other than their very welcome "unofficial" contact with willyroo. where allegations were made by QF staff, and passed upstairs to willyroo's contact. They now appear more and more likely (to me) to be completely unsubstantiated.

Many very honest and decent and very conservative folks have posted here that ARE Qantas Elites, and not one has alleged or even hinted here that any of the following took place from Flyertalkers:

1. Anyone was drunk or even remotely intoxicated

2. Anyone used, or was seen to use, or known to use use both entrances to enter.

3. Anyone at tables used any language even remotely abusive to any QF staff.

I was not at every table, and can only report what I saw and heard, but I know if any of the above occurred it would have been discussed seeing 50 FT'ers were involved. Some clearly would have heard it, and some might have even owned up to it. None has.

I more and more get the feeling senior management have been told an army of drunken, foul mouthed yobs had stormed the Club by both doors, with no QC entitlements whatever, stole all the computers, raped and pillaged, drunk it dry, and beat up the staff on the way out. Or words to that general effect.

I do know as mentioned very early on that I passed a noisy table of about a dozen young male football yob types, dressed like they were all heading to the beach. They were there when I left, and I'll bet my house Mr Hxxx and his 2 uniformed security guards did not visit them at any time.

I do also know of the very threatening QFF threat [name removed by willyroo] the duty manager is alleged to have made to one Elite member as he left the door to catch his plane home, (on QF) based on an email received from that person. Again I was not there, and have no idea if it is correct, but if it is true, huge shame on Qantas. Willyroo has passed it on to his contact, omitting the FT'ers handle or name of course. Possibly there are two sides to every story.

Bottom line, not one Flyertalker in the lounge was there other than in strict accordance with the printed entry rules. There were no scams, no drunks, or no abusive language from FT'ers - to my knowledge. And as many have pointed out, had their been you can BET the on-hand security would have gleefully removed that person(s) in a heartbeat.

The fact Qantas chose to cancel the usual printed rules on that day, and not pre-advise the organisers of this visit is of course their call, but is the direct cause of the current unfortunate situation. As is their complete and inexplicable failure to police entry at one door, or record those entering in any way at either door. If they had concerns in advance, that was the obvious and logical course to take. None of these 165 posts would then have been made. @:-)

The way Qantas later handled it - ordering over the PA ALL persons in their largest Club in Australia not travelling that day to leave immediately, or be physically ejected by security, clearly did affect others in the club who had nothing to do with FT, as alluded to in Aus_Mal's post.

As host of OzFest, where all the many first-time foreign visitors constantly gushed just how very friendly and wonderful and charming everyone at Hotels, and restaurants and functions had been to that point, I am very embarassed that they were treated in this heavy-handed way by our national carrier, when they all had 100% legitimate entry sponsors. Taking the shine off their day, and possibly their entire visit. Not something Qantas should be very proud of. And these folks are ALL top level flyers on major world carriers, to make the Qantas bob-boo even dumber.

"Qantas - The Spirit Of Australia" it says on your website. I think NOT.

Senior Qantas staff also instructed the bar staff not to serve drinks to "those people". (Who at this stage had ordered just one drink) How the bar staff were to know whose "those people" were, when management themselves had absolutely no clue, is another of life's little mysteries, as we were spread out all over the Club. Clearly all folks in the Club that day who had never heard of FT, had issues getting a drink after 2.30pm.

It is looking more and like Derryn Hinch and his Graeme Kennedy "AIDS": death allegation - Qantas just can't seem to say: "Terribly sorry, we were wrong - and acted on incorrect, third hand information".

And like Derryn, the PR damage will linger for a VERY long time in some memories. Just a couple of hours back Leumas, a current Qantas Platinum member, who was there Saturday, posted he will not make any further Qantas bookings until this matter is resolved by Qantas.

Now I am sure the forgone profit from just that one person is many, many, times greater than a few rounds of drinks would have cost Qantas on Saturday. And Leumas feeling seems to be held by others, reading these posts.

If Qantas thinks this matter is just a few Platinums whingeing quietly in a corner, they might go look at the page views of this thread. 8,500 page views in a few days is I believe an all-time record for this Forum. That is 8,500 people who, whilst they may not have posted, have read this thread. And more and more are reading it every day.

I do hope willyroo's senior contact conveys a message to those 8,500 folks very soon. ^

Last edited by willyroo; Jun 2, 2005 at 5:46 am
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:42 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I would just like to clarify comments I made far earlier regarding any instructions to the bar staff (as ozstamps has made mention of above - perhaps after my initial post on this as I've seen nothing else about it). I want to make it absolutely clear I did *NOT* hear a verbal instruction given to bar staff to not serve anyone - and indeed after the event had no problem collecting drinks from the bar.

What happened is that I went up to the bar to get a drink (my 2nd, incidently, after parhaps 30 minutes in the club) wherein I saw the Qantas uniformed manager who had earlier come around to the FT tables talking to the female barkeeper on duty. The impression I had - both from the way he looked at me as he was talking and the overall body language was very negative and I was surmising that it was something to do with what had transpired - but I have no proof of this. As it was I was served a drink without incident, but I'm not sure if that QF manager was aware I was part of the FT group or not, since in his initial rounds he did not approach the table I was sitting at with several others - he was in the next area over.

I just want to be clear in case someone wants to take exception to that part of the story since I did not hear any clear words or instructions (I wasn't really listening intently for such things).

I think the rest of the summation is correct though.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Richard - rest easy - it was not just your post, but that was allegedly said to another person I later spoke to Saturday night - staff had been instructed not to serve any drinks to the folks from "over there" - i.e. our general end of club. Which was so vague for bar staff to comply with, I am amazed Qantas were so petty.

Seeing wine and champagne are self-serve anyway, I am not sure what the barman was supposed to do if heaven forbid, someone poured a glass of vino.

Again it all boils down to Qantas own total failure to police ENTRY in any meaningful way. Had that been done, these childish and penny-pinching issues were never possible to occur.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:58 pm
DOZ
Suspended

I have never read such a load of crap in all my life. You openly posted on FT several times that last year you all enjoyed free food and drinks at the expense of Qantas. You then posted openly again on FT that you would use a loophole in the system to bring 50+ people for free food and drink this year.

Whether it is a perk or not this was openly abusing the system - end of story.

Qantas is a business not a charity and I would imagine that this benefit will be in serious jepordy now you lot have abused the goodwill of Qantas.

Its stupid to even think your rights have been infringed as I have never seen so much self - rightous indignation. You are a bunch of cheap skates having a party at Qantas's expense, no wonder they kicked you out.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:06 pm

Views are not the same as people

Originally Posted by ozstamps
If Qantas thinks this matter is just a few Platinums whingeing quietly in a corner, they might go look at the page views of this thread. 8,500 page views in a few days is I believe an all-time record for this Forum. That is 8,500 people who, whilst they may not have posted, have read this thread. And more and more are reading it every day. ^

8500 page views is NOT the same as 8500 different people viewing this soap opera. I am sure many of you have opened this thread dozens of times, some of you with nearly every new post.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:10 pm

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
Originally Posted by DOZ
I have never read such a load of crap in all my life. You openly posted on FT several times that last year you all enjoyed free food and drinks at the expense of Qantas. You then posted openly again on FT that you would use a loophole in the system to bring 50+ people for free food and drink this year.

Qantas is a business not a charity and I would imagine that this benefit will be in serious jepordy now you lot have abused the goodwill of Qantas.

Its stupid to even think your rights have been infringed as I have never seen so much self - rightous indignation. You are a bunch of cheap skates having a party at Qantas's expense, no wonder they kicked you out.
Hi Doz, Welcome to FT !

Are you by any chance the official Qantas spokesperson ?
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:19 pm

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
It is alot of people who read this forum. I wonder what Randy thinks of this??? Is this worthy of a comment from Randy?
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DOZ
You openly posted on FT several times that last year you all enjoyed free food and drinks at the expense of Qantas.
That's exactly what QP members are paying for. Access to the free food and drink. Those who are platinum have, similarly, paid for it. Using what you've paid for is not a loophole ... and, given the cost of obtaining status on QF and the cost of club membership, it's not cheap either.

Originally Posted by Comicwoman
8500 page views is NOT the same as 8500 different people viewing this soap opera. I am sure many of you have opened this thread dozens of times, some of you with nearly every new post.
Quite true. However, another thing to consider is that search engines index FT. People in future googling for Qantas Platinum benefits will probably see this thread.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:23 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HeyAussie
Hi Doz, Welcome to FT !
Are you by any chance the official Qantas spokesperson ?
Can't be. The official Qantas folks duck for cover and refuse to say anything when they are wrong.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DOZ - I notice this is your first post ever outside the women's traveller Forum since you joined FT.

This one was a classy gem I must say. Welcome to the Qantas Forum.

And minutes later Comicwoman makes her first ever post here in 6½ years. ^

Comicwoman - the fact remains this thread has more page views than any thread ever on this board in a few days, AFAIK. Make of that what you will. But it is a fact. Clearly lots of folks are interested in this incident. It will soon be 10,000, and then 15,000 ... etc.

FWIW, I saved time by 'subscribing' to this thread from the onset, and thus never open it unless I post. Those emails do not add in any way to the page views.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
You should probably read the benefits guide for the Qantas club before you make patently false statements like the ones below.

I was not at this FlyertalkDoo, but after reading what platinum and club members get as part of their membership, it's very clear that it was Qantas that was wrong.

It sounds like you don't have status with any airline, hotel group, etc. Published benefits are published benefits. You may not like the fact that certain elite members are afforded things like free food and drinks, but they are entitled to them. I'm sure if you earn status some day, and your stated benefits are not provided, you will be upset as well.

Originally Posted by DOZ

Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I'm not sure what value there is in rehashing things. I'm inclined to wait and see what QF say (officially or unofficially) - the ball is in their court.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kremmen

People in future googling for Qantas Platinum benefits will probably see this thread.
It has already happened. This thread is too new to have been 'spidered' most likely, but it clearly will be in the next few days.

Google for "Qantas Club Platinums" and you right now get this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ms&btnG=Search

The OzFest thread is already match #1 on Google, and the match #2 right now does not reflect well at all on Qantas if you click on it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...86#post4128886

"evil crew at the Qantas Club. Evil Qantas Crew" from an foreign visitor (and top elite on 2 other large airlines) is not such a great advertisement for an intending Qantas Club or Platinum FF member, nor are the other negative comments just on that page alone. (None by me on that thread yet, I might add!)

Qantas cannot do a thing to remove those comments from Google search match. They CAN ensure if anyone reads further, they see positive news about them. Ball is in their court. @:-)

I have left off posting a formal summary of OzFest events to that thread, until this Qantas matter is resolved - one way or the other. I do hope that summary can be positive for both Qantas and those who might attend OzFest #3, wherever it may be held. ^

Last edited by ozstamps; Jun 1, 2005 at 11:56 pm Reason: HTML coding
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:04 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by willyroo
Appreciate your patience.
[moderator hat]
This discussion has run its course.
[/moderator hat]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.