Search

Have Brett and Geoff been talking

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2005, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Have Brett and Geoff been talking

Protect US routes, urges Virgin

AIR routes between Australia and the US should be treated as a national asset and should not be "trashed" by opening them up to carriers such as Singapore Airlines and Emirates, Virgin Blue chief executive Brett Godfrey has warned.

Mr Godfrey confirmed yesterday that his airline remained interested in starting a trans-Pacific carrier but said Virgin was not prepared to go further until it received clear guidance about the federal Government's plans for the market.
"But we definitely do not want to see the situation turn out like the Tasman," Mr Godfrey said during the Virgin Blue National Small Business Summit in Sydney.

"The Tasman has been mucked up. It was an Australia-New Zealand asset which was conceded to fifth freedom, international, bankrupt, insolvent carriers and government-sponsored carriers.

"And as a consequence, the asset's been trashed."

<<...>>
Old May 18, 2005, 7:41 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I guess its just code for "we can't gouge as much if there is competition"
Old May 18, 2005, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: CX Gold MPO
Godfrey has absolutely NFI!
I donot want to see DJ cross any ocean!
Old May 18, 2005, 9:36 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
It is the Corrigan influence rather than the Branson influence.
Old May 18, 2005, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
His self interest is just to keep any and all other players until Virgin [something] can start their own service.

The routes are clearly not a national asset if they are being used to gouge consumers into paying high prices to a duopoly.
Old May 18, 2005, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

DJs new ' Competition is great unless we have to compete' attitude seems excellent. How rude if the Australian gov't was to allow other airlines to start up international services which might have more appeal to people than travel on DJ vs QF

Dave
Old May 18, 2005, 5:45 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
DJs new ' Competition is great unless we have to compete' attitude seems excellent. How rude if the Australian gov't was to allow other airlines to start up international services which might have more appeal to people than travel on DJ vs QF

Dave
There are still two other choices, UA and NZ .... oh, I see your point .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.