Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smartgate

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:43 pm

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P
Originally Posted by gaia
When to Melbourne airside this afternoon and asked for Smartgate and had it 5 minutes later.
Shouldn't type whilst talking on the phone. What I meant to say was:

I went to Melbourne airport this afternoon landside and asked for Smartgate and had it 5 minutes later.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by rdd
I have and it works very easily. Simply place your passport on the scanner and after about 3 seconds the gates open and let you through.

You do the obligatory customs questions at the entrance to the green line where they check your passport for the stamp they put in when you enrol that allows you to use smartgate.
Wow, didn't notice they'd stamped my passport when I signed up ... (maybe too many HP's on the way! )

Looked through my PP, and there it is. Hidden away, but still visible when you know what you're looking for.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 2:28 pm

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Only problem I have is the delay at Sydney customs where they check the form and let you thru where the green / red lines are.
The lines for X-rays seem to be getting worse and the last couple of times, they put me to one side to quickly check the declaration form.
By then about a half dozen people have gone thru. Picky I know, but after 24 hrs of flying .....

So I am still using my Apec card , usually at Sydney there isn't too much of a wait and the immigration office will sign the declaration form.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:13 am

Programs: QF LTS, AA 2MM, CO
Originally Posted by rdd
I have and it works very easily. Simply place your passport on the scanner and after about 3 seconds the gates open and let you through.

You do the obligatory customs questions at the entrance to the green line where they check your passport for the stamp they put in when you enrol that allows you to use smartgate.

This has been my experience with it - very easy and quick to use. If there are any hiccups, there is someone from Customs to help out (open the gate).

Is this available for non WP's? My brother wants to enrol, but he is SG !
Old Apr 24, 2005, 2:17 am

Numerous people (including myself!) who are not platinums have enrolled.

The criteria that customs use:

1) QF Plat or Chairmans Lounge member
2) Travelling on a F ticket (I think you also need to be a QF FF )

In actuality, it depends on who you speak to at Customs. "Hi I've heard about the Smartgate trial and I'm wondering if I can get on it" would work wonders in many cases. They'll then have to classify you into one of their categories (most likely F Customer)

I've got no idea if they are still accepting registrations. It is a wonderful trial to be on ... I'm coming through Syd Customs twice in the next 2 weeks so looking forward to skipping the queues once again!
Old Apr 24, 2005, 3:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I've got no idea if they are still accepting registrations. It is a wonderful trial to be on ... I'm coming through Syd Customs twice in the next 2 weeks so looking forward to skipping the queues once again!
I was at MEL recently and they were no longer accepting registrations for it

Dave
Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The last time I came thru MEL there was no signage for SmartGate. I went down to the machine and used anyway and it worked fine; saved me at least 10 mins.

I'm not sure it is fully supported by Customs Staff.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 5:29 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by serfty
The last time I came thru MEL there was no signage for SmartGate. I went down to the machine and used anyway and it worked fine; saved me at least 10 mins.

I'm not sure it is fully supported by Customs Staff.
Wanted to register when I last travelled to Oz after reading this Tread - after I went through customs I asked the Customs Officer at the Smartgate area how I could register, and she told me that the trial was over as they had "run out of funds", and that they had therefore suspended registration "for a while", so I, as a WP, could no longer register. I got the impression from her that they are preparing to make it available to all, though this may be some time off, and that when it is you will have to pay to register (as they are going to do when it is introduced here in the UK) ! So well done all who were able to do it ! This may not all prove to be the truth, but this is what I was told.

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Apr 24, 2005 at 5:32 am
Old Apr 24, 2005, 5:37 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Smartgate registration finished on Feb 28 (yours truly made the deadline with 30 mins to spare!). The main problem I have found with it is that you don't get anything scribbled on your arrival card by a desk agent, which tends to throw the customs people into confusion as to what to do with you.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:42 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
I have been scanned for the smatgate and use it. I think it's fantastic. been known to jump 3 747 loads at a single scan. Customs is still a right royal bain in the proverbial however.

As I understand it they are still trialling and it is only open to invitation. They had a period for QFP to join, but it was also restricted.

I wish they also had the gates in C terminalat Sydney and not just the Qantas side as I fly SQ a lot.

if an when you get the chance - don't do it as it may slow me down!
Old May 14, 2005, 12:40 am

The federal budget has some information regarding smartgate:

From http://www.ag.gov.au/agd/WWW/budgeth...border_control

"The initiative includes the introduction of biometric passports later this year for all new and replacement Australian Passport holders. The ePassports contain a microchip that will store an electronic image of the passport holder. The program will cost the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade $67.5 million over the first four years and will be offset by a $19 increase in the fee for an adult passport and a $9.50 increase in the fee for a child/senior passport."

"Customs will build on the success of the Smart Gate system currently trialling self processing using face recognition at Sydney and Melbourne International Airports, to gradually phase in automated border processing at major airports. The rollout will be linked to the anticipated uptake of Australian and foreign biometrically enabled ePassports."

So the way I read this, any new passport as of later this year will be "smartgate" compatible. Of course it could also mean they're about to scrap Smartgate in favour of a different type of biometrics.

Did a standard ever get created on what type of biometrics worldwide was going to be used for ePassports? I can't see customs building a machine that can check fingerprints/retina/face shape etc depending on what each country decided to use for Biometrics.

Last edited by Aus_Mal; May 14, 2005 at 12:42 am
Old May 14, 2005, 1:37 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Did a standard ever get created on what type of biometrics worldwide was going to be used for ePassports? I can't see customs building a machine that can check fingerprints/retina/face shape etc depending on what each country decided to use for Biometrics.
Yes there is an ICAO standard for this and it is meant to be implemented this year to continue to comply with the US I94-W program.

Smartgate v II (the new passports) will include a contactless smart card chip which will store the passport details and biometric data which is digitally signed by the issueing office using rotational keys (new keys every xx months).

This will mean under Smartgate v II you will not need to hold the passport up for scanning but it will be scanned in your bag/ pocket/ hand by the contactless prox sensor at the gate. Sadly this means that anyone with a handheld sensor will also be able to scan your ePassport as well unless the passport is shielded.

I look forward to installing a sensor at the departures and arrivals levels to build a private database of travellers information including name, DOB, place of birth, country of passport issue and departure and arrivals dates (last scanned by a sensor date). I can then use this information, along with other databases to target direct mail with special offers.

The flip side to this, is that the new ePassports should dramatically decrease arrival and departure times at US airports who are also implementing the ICAO standard.

Sources:
http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=17165
http://www.icao.int/mrtd/download/do...nts%202004.pdf
Old May 15, 2005, 12:53 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
I "got scanned" a while ago when they offered QFP's the chance to use it.

I would recommmend no one take it up, just in case you end up in line before me and I have to wait...

It's been fantastic. Zipped straight through many times. Now they need to put it in the (non-QF) terminal C side inbound SYD, ando outbound as well everywhere (why not?) to make it even better.

Now only if they could sort the customs lines out like that...at what point will they accept that we support the quarantine and fly so often we know the rules (I actually know they know it) and let us scan through there...that would be a breakthrough!!!
Old May 18, 2005, 6:33 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
After several successful uses, this morning at MEL the stupid @#$%^& thing didn't want to know about me, even after several attempts! The guy on the adjacent desk just shrugged and said "Who knows what on earth it's doing..".
Old May 18, 2005, 6:51 pm

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P
Arrived yesterday at Sydney on the Shanghai flight (after it being delayed 3 hours out of Shanghai) on the way to Melbourne.

From economy class, I managed to get from the plane to Smartgate (it always works for me in Sydney and never in Melbourne ...go figure) and my baggage was on the carousel and then down to X-Ray who said "Good to see you again, on the way to Melbourne again? And any food in the baggage?" " No, no food". And so bypass X-Ray queue and straight thru to the transfer desk. From leaving the plane to exiting customs 3 minutes 30 seconds ...my most recent OZ record. ( I've done better in Wellington.)

And I got my APEC card yesterday and today used it at Sydney and jumped a queue of around 200.

Now typing this from the Qantas first class lounge in Sydney.

All seems to be working!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.