Wiki Posts
Search

QF award help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:08 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by JDiver
Do I recall correctly the SPs seemed to love flying at considerable altitudes - or at least a bit higher than some of the 744s seem to? (Certaily more than the 747-123 - the 100's started out underpowered. At least -123 is flying for NASA, carrying the Space Shuttle piggyback. No piano.)
I don't know that the SP's "loved" the higher altitude any more than any other similar sized aircraft. But with the same power and less weight than the -100 and -200's of the day, they could get to the prefered altitude quicker. They didn't need to burn off as much fuel before being able to get above FL350. QF operated their 747-SP's with RB211-524D4 (53,100lb) engines, the same as the -200 and -300 models they operated.

But you are correct in that the 747-SP had the highest operational ceiling out of all the 747 series. The SP was rated to 45,100 ft, while all others are "only" rated to 45,000 ft. Perhaps just a rounding error from 13,700m?
Old Jan 21, 2005, 8:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
It may just be that they scrambled for some altitude that flight due to the mets - it certainly didn't loiter as we departed PPT.

Could be the rounding error due to metric conversion; we have some boffins who are even less accurate than that, and sent a probe crashing down because of it. Maybe they were working for Boeing at one time?

Originally Posted by NM
I don't know that the SP's "loved" the higher altitude any more than any other similar sized aircraft. But with the same power and less weight than the -100 and -200's of the day, they could get to the prefered altitude quicker. They didn't need to burn off as much fuel before being able to get above FL350. QF operated their 747-SP's with RB211-524D4 (53,100lb) engines, the same as the -200 and -300 models they operated.

But you are correct in that the 747-SP had the highest operational ceiling out of all the 747 series. The SP was rated to 45,100 ft, while all others are "only" rated to 45,000 ft. Perhaps just a rounding error from 13,700m?
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:52 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by JDiver
It may just be that they scrambled for some altitude that flight due to the mets - it certainly didn't loiter as we departed PPT.
Out of PPT, unless carrying a lot of freight, the -SP was unlikely to be operating at max takeoff weight. So it would be unlikely to be altitude constrained even immediately after takeoff. Under those conditions they could climb at an incredible rate to FL400+. Generally, the higher alts are preferable on east-bound flights to get max benefit from the jetstreams. Lower alts generally have less impact on headwinds on west-bound flights. But of course it depends on the met conditions of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.