Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Jetstar carries two millionth passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

For those interested:

Qantas Airways’ low-cost domestic subsidiary Jetstar has hit the two millionth passenger milestone after less than seven months of operations.

Well done Jet :-:
Old Dec 16, 2004, 4:33 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Hmmm, 2 millionth customer ....

That means either:
  • 10% of the Australian population has flown JetStar
  • Lots of overseas visitors are flying JetStar
  • They actually have repeat customers
Old Dec 16, 2004, 4:58 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Plat No 0010XXX, AA Plat 2 MM, Sinbad Blue, HHonors Dia., Marriott Titanium, IHG Amb
NM ...you crack me up. I have just spluttered Suntory Whisky all over my keyboard after reading your repeat customer comment.
CU Soon . John.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 6:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Jet :-: has succeeded in the Australian market purely on the basis that there is no Ansett Australia.

However, all credits to the QF management for not duplicating Jetstar routes to that of Qantas' full service airline. The strategy has worked in Australia but the success cannot be guaranteed in Asia with their new Jet :-: Asia brand.

Competing in Asia with cash-rich airlines such as Cathay and Singapore can be difficult. Let's hope for the best with Jet :-: Asia and to their Chairman, Geoff Dixon!
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:29 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NM
Hmmm, 2 millionth customer ....

That means either:
  • 10% of the Australian population has flown JetStar
  • Lots of overseas visitors are flying JetStar
  • They actually have repeat customers
or someone put an extra nought to make the figures look good
Old Dec 16, 2004, 1:42 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I wonder just how much the Tasmanian tourist industry or business environment has suffered in this time?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:01 pm
NM

Originally Posted by JohnWayland
Jet :-: has succeeded in the Australian market purely on the basis that there is no Ansett Australia.
That is not the only factor contributing to the success of Jestar. They were handed successful "leisure" routes (ie. the routes that struggle to produce high yeild fares) on a platter and with minimal competition. No need to try to build all their customer base from scratch.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:49 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Jetstar has sparked a summer airfare war by launching 300,000 cut-price tickets with advertised one-way Sydney-to-Melbourne online fares as low as $19...

NM is spot on - don't forget that there are three airlines in Australia again, well supported by the travelling public (unlike the days of QF, AN and Compass I or II). There are two LCC's and one full service and it appears this model is working better than 2 full service and 1 LCC (albeit in different market conditions).

Thankfully, I haven't needed to fly to any of the popular leisure cities that Jetstar frequent. I shudder to think of the time I have to (even for work)...
Old Dec 16, 2004, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Jestar (as in you've got to be joking)

Some numbers in relation to this article (2MPAX)
  • 2,000,000 PAX
  • 205 Days (From 25th May to 16th December)
  • 9,756 avg PAX per day
  • 68,292 avg PAX per week
  • 880 Weekly services
  • 77 avg PAX per flight
  • 717 has PAX cap of 125 (A320 has 177)
  • 62.1% avg load
  • 47.4 avg empty seats per flight.
  • 760,000 total empty seats
Are they making a Profit?

Notes: 1) 880 is the current level of flights per week. Obviously they averaged less than this during the period so this reduces the empty seat calculation. 2) A320 in service for a month, currently 4 in service but this increases the empty seat calculation.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 4:51 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by QF WP
Jetstar has sparked a summer airfare war by launching 300,000 cut-price tickets with advertised one-way Sydney-to-Melbourne online fares as low as $19...
QF WP I can't believe you're falling for it as well. The media certainly is. There are NO FARES available for $19. The cheapest is $49 on any airline anywhere.

The link state:
He said Jetstar's decision to advertise "base fares plus taxes and charges" was to remain competitive, ensure air travel was accessible to all passengers and to encourage first-time flyers
Surely the true fact is that a $19 fare is much more likely to receive media attention and free publicity than $49.

Interesting that they are heaping the blame on airports (cost which have been traditionally absorbed in ticket prices, and sort of dodge the fuel surcharge - which in any other business just also gets included in the price of goods/service, which if necessary must increase. What next? During the next drought Woolworths advertising beef as $15/kg plus a $12/kg drought surcharge? Newspapers selling for $2 plus a 40c "ink surcharge". We are all, especially people using points for flight awards being taken for suckers. And buying it.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 8:21 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
What am I meant to be falling for, lokijuh???? I'm just posting the news article for all to read. There may have been some small number of seats available at that price, but they would have been snapped up probably within minutes of the announcement (long before you probably looked at availability). That's always the marketing spin on "sales"... come on, I'm a consultant, I discount the hype and look at the small print.

You don't think I actually fly with Jetstar - I have a perfect record (zero) and want to keep it that way ^ . My record with Virgin is the same (sorry Brett...even if I do know him) .

Even back to the old days, I flew with AN for only 2 sectors (because a supplier booked my tickets, not me!!) .

Now to bring it back on topic...

Last edited by QF WP; Dec 16, 2004 at 10:11 pm Reason: change comments
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:14 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by QF WP
What am I meant to be falling for, lokijuh???? I'm just posting the news article for all to read.
Sorry QF WP , on re-reading it was obvious that you were posting a link, but on first glance it didn't look like it ( if it was in the news thread I wouldn't have even blinked).

BTW - didn't think you'd fallen for the actual sale (or that you'd be running out buying the fares .. think over time you've probably like most of us made your views on JQ obvious), but rather you just copied their press release headline in verbatim which of course is what they're after - ie $19 headlines.

You are luckier than some of us in avoiding the early check-in, leg cramps and seat scramble on DeathStar. Without carefully planning, my meetings in HBA require DJ or JQ - or long waits either before or after one of the two QF flights (which isn't too bad after the self serve bar in the QP HBA opens, but before then....)

Last edited by lokijuh; Dec 16, 2004 at 11:26 pm
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:54 am

Programs: QF Platinum & LT Silver
Jetstar Asia

Slightly OT, but today while taxing to take off at HKG, I spied a Jetstar Asia plane at one of the outermost gates there is at HKG. Where it belonged, really.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 3:19 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
ohhh!! same colour scheme as jetstar au?? pics??

will jetstar compete with australian airlines?
Old Dec 17, 2004, 4:38 am
NM

Originally Posted by d00t
ohhh!! same colour scheme as jetstar au?? pics??
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/731788/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/731787/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/729285/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/718325/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/710029/L/

Originally Posted by d00t
will jetstar compete with australian airlines?
I don't believe there are any current plans for JetStar Asia to operate to.from Australia, so no cometition with Australian Airlines. JetStar Asia is planning routes withing 5 hours of Singapore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.