Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Oneworld Award Bookings - Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld Award Bookings - Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2004, 5:27 pm

I too am loking for CX F

I too am looking for CX F. I can get it no problem on the overnight from SYD to HKG leaving at 11 something and arriving at 5am.
Dont think I am to interested in that!
The whole reason for going CX is to experience the fab service and champagnes.

Then try to get f out of HKG to ANYWHERE.
absolutely no availability from aug to oct to LHR<PAR>FCO>FRA

I really dont want to go to LHR to go back to FCO.
then Qantas want 5K penalty to ADD aa to the booking in when it becomes available as AA have not loaded their F inventry after 20th sept yet.
Then I loose the other sectors as someone else will book them.

Cant win!.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 2:01 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by number_6
a routing like SYD-LHR-FRA-LHR-AMS-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-SYD would be legal provided exactly one stopover at LHR and LAX and would be only 25K miles (so you could add another 10K, but limited by the 5 stopovers).
Not sure I follow you number_6. I get the point about the stopovers but as all award bookings are calculated on the basis of return mileage (irrespective of whether you choose to fly both ways), this one adds up to 49,744 miles - almost 15K miles above the max allowed mileage for a OW awards (35K).
Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by Chalkie
Indeed, it seems like CX is being quite .....rdly with any F inventory (one seat available here and there, but not 2 and not on the dates or routes at which I am looking). I have read over at the CX board that this seems to be the CX policy (ie, they aren't particularly generous with releasing F award inventory to other Oneworld members), but what luck if any have QF folks had with getting CX F award inventory?

Cheers
Chalkie
The use of this word could be offensive to many people here on FT, I am surprised that the moderators allow the use of such offensive words. I have reported this to Randy.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:47 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
Not sure I follow you number_6. I get the point about the stopovers but as all award bookings are calculated on the basis of return mileage (irrespective of whether you choose to fly both ways), this one adds up to 49,744 miles - almost 15K miles above the max allowed mileage for a OW awards (35K).
This is a return trip, not OW, with SYD-...-SYD (the stopovers don't count, the oneway/return is origin/destination and both are SYD in this case ... and the trip is 25K miles for that routing. There is no requirement to fly return between stopovers!
Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by SethLevy
The use of this word could be offensive to many people here on FT, I am surprised that the moderators allow the use of such offensive words. I have reported this to Randy.
How? "American Heritage Dictionary" - Unwilling to give, spend or share; stingy. Scanty; meager.

Context of term was in perfect keeping with the intent of the post.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:11 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by afrugal1
How? "American Heritage Dictionary" - Unwilling to give, spend or share; stingy. Scanty; meager.
Am aware of that meaning. Are you checking from the pre-Civil Rights movement edition, copies available from good Southern state libraries.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 4:50 pm

Location: Home of the 2001 & 2004 Rugby Super 12 Champions - the Brumbies (Canberra, ACT) and Australia's best ski resort (Thredbo, NSW)
Programs: QF SG (LT PS, 54% LT SG), Priority Club Gold
Chalkie is an Australian, where the meaning of the word has not been corrupted by politically correct nancy boys. You PC people are too stupid to know the actual meaning of the word .....rdly (given by other posters)- you just get indignant because it sounds like a bad word. How about you take a visit to Toowoomba, where the name of the local football ground will be guaranteed to give you a case of the vapours.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 5:00 pm

So does the fact that he's Australian (which let's face it, is a land which has embraced its indigenous people) make it any less offensive, or for that matter your use of the term nancy boy. I look forward to taking the vapours at Toowoomba, though I fear they may be unsanitary.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 5:04 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Cool

How about you take a visit to Toowoomba, where the name of the local football ground will be guaranteed to give you a case of the vapours.
You can't say that here! ---- OOPS, you just did!
Old Oct 30, 2004, 5:23 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Virtualtroy & sethlevy, since you choose to parade your ignorance, here is a quick lesson in etymology for you:

- the word ".....rd" (hence .....rdly) dates back to at least the 14th C and is of Scandinavian origin.
- the offensive slang word "......" dates back only to the 18th C and is a corruption of the French "negre".

The resemblance between the two is completely coincidental. End of discussion.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 7:15 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
[moderator hat]
I am surprised that the moderators allow the use of such offensive words. I have reported this to Randy.
The first port of call here is the moderator - and he's not up at 12:00 midnight to check every post. But he does respond when asked.

If you had reported it, I would have looked up my Oxford Dictionary, which clearly points out to me there is no racial or other connotation in the word ".....rdly".

Finally, some of the statements in this thread are getting close to personal, and regular posters here know I have a very low threshold in such instances. Cool off, consider editing your posts, and let the discussion about OneWorld awards continue.

[/moderator hat]
Old Oct 31, 2004, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by whughes3
Virtualtroy & sethlevy, since you choose to parade your ignorance, here is a quick lesson in etymology for you...
Had you read my earlier post you would have seen that I was not taking issue with the word itself - other than through humour - but I did object to terminology used in a subsequent follow-up.

However, as willyroo has rightly pointed out, we're getting off-track here so I shall refrain from further comment unless it relates to the original topic.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by willyroo
[moderator hat]

The first port of call here is the moderator - and he's not up at 12:00 midnight to check every post. But he does respond when asked.

If you had reported it, I would have looked up my Oxford Dictionary, which clearly points out to me there is no racial or other connotation in the word ".....rdly".

Finally, some of the statements in this thread are getting close to personal, and regular posters here know I have a very low threshold in such instances. Cool off, consider editing your posts, and let the discussion about OneWorld awards continue.

[/moderator hat]
It seems to me that if you, as the moderator, do not understand how this word could be viewed by some as offensive, you really should not be a moderator. I can only hope that the teachers of our children exhibit a bit more understanding and sensibility with respect to the use of clearly offensive words, regardless of whether they are contained in a dictionary.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It seems to me that if you, as the moderator, do not understand how this word could be viewed by some as offensive, you really should not be a moderator. I can only hope that the teachers of our children exhibit a bit more understanding and sensibility with respect to the use of clearly offensive words, regardless of whether they are contained in a dictionary.
If you are so unlearned that you cannot understand english language and will get upset when words which are similar to words which may be used offensively, then I hope that you never become a school teacher

.....rdly, as has been pointed out is different in meaning, spelling and entymology to negro and its slang derivative ...... which is from the spanish for black, which in itself has its roots from the latin for black (niger).

I remember the case a few years ago where an American politician was castigated by the media which was either (a) ignorant or (b) deliberately out to get him for the quite correct use of the word. I found that risible , as , iirc, did the UK press

If this word had been by used here in spoken conversation, then I could understand how an ignorant person could misunderstand it, but given that this was in written text, there is no reason for anyone to be offended, especially if they have access to a dictionary

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 1, 2004 at 1:19 pm
Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:57 pm

Thanks Dave, almost feel guilty for making light of it before.

Back OT, does anyone have experience of booking a multi-leg OW award in Z class only to find that Z isn't available for some legs? What's the procedure? Book it as is and amend later (presumably for some sort of points-based fine?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.