Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Does one get 100% points on IB's L class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

As per QF's website , I read that IB's flights booked in L class do earn 100% miles. Or am I blind and can't see the rules for nuts?

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/terms#9_3

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:49 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
No distinction between disc econ and full Y on an IB flight # (yet...)
Old Jul 26, 2004, 2:04 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Yes, that is correct. Only AA and BA deep discount fares get the bad deal on points and SC's. You will get discount economy SC's and 100% miles for points. No status bonus outside QF/AA/BA though.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:43 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
And of course Aer Lingus as well, where almost every Y fare class is ineligible for points these days (then again I don't think too many people are rushing to fly them longhaul anytime soon from the reviews people have put up ).
Old Jul 27, 2004, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by GibSpmuh
And of course Aer Lingus as well, where almost every Y fare class is ineligible for points these days
Yup - currently facing that awful dilemma - Should I book the EI code for null points but save £8.85 per person compared with booking the same flights on the BA code for 125 miles and 10 SCs each way? Neither of us needs SCs to requalify this year, so may go for the extra couple of pints of Guinness approach.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:27 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yup - currently facing that awful dilemma - Should I book the EI code for null points but save £8.85 per person compared with booking the same flights on the BA code for 125 miles and 10 SCs each way? Neither of us needs SCs to requalify this year, so may go for the extra couple of pints of Guinness approach.
Those are some cheap SCs towards lifetime status though...
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
Those are some cheap SCs towards lifetime status though...
Funnily enough, by the time I came round to booking it, the EI price had gone down and the BA price had gone up. So that tipped the scales firmly in the EI direction. This time.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by GibSpmuh
And of course Aer Lingus as well, where almost every Y fare class is ineligible for points these days (then again I don't think too many people are rushing to fly them longhaul anytime soon from the reviews people have put up ).
Bumping this topic to the top.

The way I read the QF FFP T&C's, the airline earning table (effective after the Nov 2004 changes) show that many EI coach fare class earn points. The V & N class earn 1 point. Not worried about SC's though it should be 25. Who is right?
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headinclouds
The way I read the QF FFP T&C's, the airline earning table (effective after the Nov 2004 changes) show that many EI coach fare class earn points. The V & N class earn 1 point. Not worried about SC's though it should be 25. Who is right?
If you can get a V or N class fare on EI, then it should earn 100% of flown miles. SCs will be for a discount economy fare. Which route are you thinking of?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:27 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Thumbs down

Speaking of the 'Airline Earning Table' in the new (post-May) conditions, Qantas have STILL put the wrong, misleading information for QF FF miles and SC earning rules on BA. It was wrong in the last published T&Cs, wrong in the previous one of a few years ago, and is still wrong now.

Firstly, despite it saying so, you do NOT get Full Economy SC's in B and H. They give you 100% miles for such flights not the Discount Economy 25% rate, but you get Discount Economy SCs.

Absolutely nowhere in the T&Cs, old or new, does it state there is such a Miles/SC distinction in these fare clases (or any other), and when I complained to Qantas about it they refused to give me the additional SCs. On the phone some months ago they told me that the full T&Cs that they have at their end do indeed make such a distinction, despite the official published ones not doing so. Yet they have not updated the terms and conditions.

Secondly, it does not state that miles are NOT earned on non-Oneworld codeshares (even with a BA flights number on the ticket) - as it does with all other airline partners where this is the case - despite the fact that they are not. Fly to Brussels from London for e.g. on a BA flight number on a flight flown by SN Brussels Airlines (as I did) and you get no miles or SCs. Again, when this affected me Qantas refused to give me the relevant miles and SCs.

Qantas again told me that the full T&Cs that they have state that codeshares on BA with non-Oneworld airlines do not apply for miles and SCs, though again the official published ones do not do so. Again, they have not updated the new terms and conditions accordingly.

I find this all to be not just slack but pretty outrageous, especially when they then refuse to give you the miles and SCs you thought you were getting. So much for "These Terms and Conditions... are intended to protect Members" (as the T&C intro states).
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:36 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
it does not state that miles are NOT earned on non-Oneworld codeshares (even with a BA flights number on the ticket) - as it does with all other airline partners where this is the case - despite the fact that they are not. Fly to Brussels from London for e.g. on a BA flight number on a flight flown by SN Brussels Airlines (as I did) and you get no miles or SCs. Again, when this affected me Qantas refused to give me the relevant miles and SCs.

Qantas again told me that the full T&Cs that they have state that codeshares on BA with non-Oneworld airlines do not apply for miles and SCs, though again the official published ones do not do so. Again, they have not updated the new terms and conditions accordingly.
That does sound worthy of a challenge. Do you still have the BPs from those flights? If they say BAXXX sold as Sabena flight # then I'd say not a hope. If it's the other way round, then you're entitled to the mileage.

Just ask for your case to be escalated or, better still, phone QF and ask to speak to a supervisor. I don't know whether the points / SCs involved are worth the hassle involved, but there's your solution (to this part of the rant at least )
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:48 am

Tried all that, and a letter on each occasion, but to no avail. I was a 'mere' Scum Gold at the time so, knowing Qantas, I was obviously not deemed by them worth their while trying to please !

And, as you reasoned, as on each occasion it was for a mere 10 SCs I didn't bother wasting more of my time on it.

What annoys me more is that they are still publishing the wrong info - indeed when it comes to the codeshare thing no info at all - despite it all having been brought to their attention by myself (and in writing), and maybe others too, some time ago.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:51 am

So if it's still bugging you and you think your newly-attained WP status will change things, take it up with QF again (sorry to state the blindingly...)
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by virtualtroy
So if it's still bugging you and you think your newly-attained WP status will change things, take it up with QF again (sorry to state the blindingly...)
Or, like so many others on this page, just move all my business to an airline that is not introducing such insulting FF terms, and that actually give you benefits for your Status like comp. upgrades, uniform benefits across the Alliance, etc... i.e. pretty much all the Star Alliance members !!! Decisions, decisions !
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:16 am

Sorry mate but you're deluding yourself if you think *A member airlines aren't 'enhancing' their FF schemes in the same way as BA or QF have done.

For example, BMI (which I see you're also a member of) has a habit of introducing unannounced changes which halve, quarter or zero out mileage or status mileage earning potential, even for pre-booked tickets.

You'll also find that the same carrier applies a strict ruling about flying codeshares on non-*A metal - ie no mileage earn. If it ends up in your account it's a happy accident.

FF programs are like families - dysfunctional for the end user. Move your business to *A by all means, I'm not defending the recent QF changes, a couple of which I complained to QF about.

But I'm also realistic enough to understand the basic principles of business: they'll take a mile (or several hundred), but will only re-consider once it's a problem / business priority: ie in QF's case your complaint multiplied by x% of WPs.

So far nobody posting on this board seems particularly fussed that non-QF OW award bookings now attract at 'service fee' simply by virtue of the fact that QF doesn't enable bookings on other OW carriers via its award booking engine. Bugs the hell out of me but clearly not many others, so sit back and accept the fact that things won't change til it does.

In conclusion, I don't see that many others 'moving' their business to other carriers / programs. The reality is that for global coverage, there are two networks of carriers; each has best-of-breed carriers and each also has a fair few almost-rans.

Make your decision based on your travel pattern and, on account of that, which carriers you're most likely to use. Or, like me (or perhaps you), hedge your bets and keep up top tier membership in both.

vt

Last edited by virtualtroy; Jan 10, 2005 at 11:19 am Reason: Excuse the grammar but at least I can sort the spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.