Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Does one get 100% points on IB's L class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does one get 100% points on IB's L class?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I fly well over 100,000 paid miles a year on Star and have done so for many years.

Can't remember a comp on any of the 10 Star carriers I've flown, on 6 continents.

Never fly in coach, and never pay for pointy end but DO need miles or certs each time.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:26 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Thanks for the reality check ozstamps, I'd missed the partners bit in Aisle Seat H's earlier post (in spite of it being in bold and underlined ) and maybe it figures. BMI Gold membership may equal a decent quota of op UGs on Virgin and SAA, particularly the latter given its ambition of joining *A. Are we right so far Aisle Seat H?

As for mainline *A carriers, your (ozstamps) observations are spot on, though I've often wondered about whether some airlines have a sophisticated enough piece of software which contains algorithms to determine a particular passenger's propensity to buy premium product in the future based on an occasional gesture of goodwill; similarly to sort the wheat from the chaff when it comes to those who only travel upfront by redeeming miles / rewards.

In all my years of flying I have to say that following simple rules apply for op UGs:

1. That the flight is busy and you move up the queue;
2. You have status with that particular airline and you move up the queue;
3. You have status with other carriers in the same alliance and you...
4. A check-in agent is particularly p**sed off with the person in front of you, or feels particulatly benevolent and you...

Now for the rules, generally speaking (and certain geographic exceptions here), should you ask for an UG:

1. No
2. No
3. Yes, sir, please see our ticket counter and pay the difference between your ticket fare class and the one you're asking to travel in

Ah yes, the final rule:

There are no rules. Fate / seating / the Madonna on your dashboard happen to be smiling on you that day, or (back to # 1) maybe it's just a busy flight.

Last edited by virtualtroy; Jan 12, 2005 at 1:26 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:28 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I know from my personal experience, the two overwhelming factors for Op-Up's I've received are being on busy routes, generally to tourist destinations and/or without many flyers of status onboard.

For CX it was BKK-SIN, for BA it was GRU-EZE (a double upgrade!), for LA it was SCL-IPC, for QF its been BNE-SIN and SYD-AYQ (though had plenty of 3 class sold as 2 joy on QF as well! ). Just a shame that pretty much anywhere that's a tourist destination these days is getting shipped off to Jetstar or Australian Airlines - not a whole lot of hope for Op-Up's on either of those!
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I've only had one Int upgrade; it was on QF2 from LHR to BKK and was an op-up due to fully sold flight: 34A to 11J. I was Emerald at the time.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Let's face it, everyone on a 747 would LIKE an op upgrade.

Heck with all those Flyertalk D!ckheads walking around with shirts saying THIS - that point is clear! :

http://www.webflyer.com/ft/cart/stor...dA&n=storetxt5

Bottom line, on a pretty full plane I do not believe ANY airline justs grabs anyone well dressed and offers them an upgrade on a long flight.

I came back from NYC a few weeks back and this is my detailed story getting my United upgrade out of LAX.

THIRTY FIVE folks on the DM list for upgrade at gate, and 2 seats. And I was "supporting" mine with a SWU Cert. All of those 35 were pledging SOMETHING to upgrade it, but just did not have UA status as high as mine.

Only got it as the doors closed. Another FT'er was with me in the bar in LAX, who is Star Gold on UA, but a tier below me. He was forlorn.

Read the thread - they just do not hand out upgrades like candy is my long held observation.

Not in 2005 anyway. Not Qantas, not UA, not Delta, not Air France.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379621

YES, gate agents have enormous power, and in the last few minutes before closing the doors miracles and op upgrades sometimes occur. But to assume they WILL occur is just being silly. IMHO. Whether you are well dressed, well spoken, or have a shiny FF card.

Last edited by ozstamps; Jan 12, 2005 at 7:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.