Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas starts fuel surcharge

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2004, 12:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
It was my understanding that it was an order by the ACCC or fair trading that the airlines had to show the full price inc. taxes and charges - not a QF decision....
No, what they were directed to do by the ACCC (an order that travel.com.au still ignores to this day) is to quote inclusive fares. In other words, they can't say "$250 plus taxes" they have to say "$375" (or whatever).

There was no edict from the ACCC to say how that $375 was broken down into fares or taxes, although for BAS/IAS purposes the ATO has ruled that the amount of GST needs to shown, so that appropriate input credits can be claimed.

Qantas has chosen to do the right thing though by identifying exactly what the taxes are and how much they are.

Dave
Old May 12, 2004, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
NZ has followed QF on the surcharge. Details on this thread in the Air NZ forum. Seems fairly similar rate and set up. For NZ, the international surcharge is per sector so AKL-LHR is $30 - domestic connections to int'l have no surcharge, nor do regional connections to main trunk.
Old May 12, 2004, 5:59 pm

Programs: QF,AA
Yep it was brought in the ACCC, if memory serves me correctly when Virgin Blue first came about and were advertising the cheap fares but not mentioning it was one way only

As for the fule surcharge seems a bit on the steep side comapred to the likes of BA etc, and now for my JUL 01 SYD-LAX-SYD another $30 to add to the QANTAS profit
Old May 12, 2004, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"As for the fule surcharge seems a bit on the steep side comapred to the likes of BA etc, and now for my JUL 01 SYD-LAX-SYD another $30 to add to the QANTAS profit "

Why don't you buy the ticket before monday then and avoid the surcharge?

Dave
Old May 12, 2004, 6:40 pm

Being a student unfortunatly no way I can get the balance(AUD450) paid off prior to May 17th

Last edited by GBA1975; May 12, 2004 at 6:42 pm Reason: Put in currency code
Old May 12, 2004, 7:56 pm

Just been chatting to my TA, who says she has been over run by customers paying for future travel in the past two days. People are rushing to pay for tickets booked as far in advance as December.
Old May 13, 2004, 4:02 am

Programs: QF, IB
Hmmm, how will this surcharge affect OWE? Imagine the increase in cost for a 20 sector ticket.
Old May 13, 2004, 6:26 am

Very true Dani, I guess in the case of OWE assuming all is done on QANTAS $15 per sector, even using AA for any flights in the US still can't get around it..I guess a case of looking around for any one world partners that don't have the fuel surcharge where ever possible (Iberia,Aer Lingus??)
Old May 13, 2004, 6:39 am
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I wonder what happens with codeshares? Does QF charge AA $15 per ticket they sell as the AA codeshare for a QF flight? If not, then QF pax may have something to complain about if different charges are applied to different passengers of the same service.
Old May 13, 2004, 6:45 am
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
DJ has followed QF's lead

VIRGIN Blue today announced it will introduce a fuel surcharge on all bookings.

The surcharge of $6 per sector for Virgin Blue flights and $10 per sector for Pacific Blue flights will apply to all bookings made after midnight on May 17, the company said.
Old May 13, 2004, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by NM
I wonder what happens with codeshares? Does QF charge AA $15 per ticket they sell as the AA codeshare for a QF flight? If not, then QF pax may have something to complain about if different charges are applied to different passengers of the same service.
I would assume QF charges for the code share services operated by them (Syd-Lax etc) AA have there own pricing for AA operated flights (both dom&intl) IIRC
Old May 14, 2004, 3:28 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Not that they're a big player but Rex also introduces fuel surcharge . What is probably of the most interest that it won't apply to the lowest internet fares. "... fares ticketed from Monday 17th May 2004, with the exception of Rex’s lowest internet tickets, will incur a fuel surcharge of $5.00 per sector."
Old May 15, 2004, 6:54 pm
rdd

I wonder whether the reasoning for this fuel surcharge is not actually to make money, but rather signal to the stockmarket that something is being done about rising fuel prices (both Qf and Dj and had lowering share prices due to rising oil prices recently) - though making money is incidental.

The reason I say this is that Qantas could have simply unilaterally increased their prices across the board by $6 and noone would be the wiser and most people who do notice would consider this to be just part of the general rise in prices that happens every year or so. However, QF have come out and made a big song and dance about how they're having a seperate fuel surcharge - if anything signalling to their highly price sensitive customers about these rises.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.