Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Upgrade question how to apply to segments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2024, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum

Hi all
i am booking a one way flight on QF metal routing CHC-SYD-CDG The SYD-CDG stops in Perth but is one flight number and shows as one flight QF33.

My question is, I want to try to points upgrade just the QF33 flight SYD-CDG, can i upgrade just this segment if its all booked as one flight or do I need to book it as multi city:
i.e: leg 1 CHC-SYD
Leg 2 SYD-CDG
thank you!

it does not seem to change the fare if I search multi city versus one booking, so i am thinking to just do this?

Last edited by oranjemakker; May 5, 2024 at 11:02 pm
Old May 5, 2024, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are booked on SYD-CDG as a single segment, this will be a single segment upgrade and will upgrade the whole journey since this is a direct flight

If you were to book as SYD-PER and PER-CDG as separate segments ( if the booking tool allows it ) then this would be 2 separate upgrades

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 5, 2024 at 11:29 pm
Old May 5, 2024, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You need to upgrade the whole way as a single segment if booked as a single segment

Will the system actually allow you to purchase the ticket using QF33 for CHC-SYD and then connecting on same QF33 to Paris? if so, then it will work ok
The system allows you to book CHC all the way to CDG but CHC-SYD is a different flight number, SYD-CDG is one flight number. I think its best for me to book multistop.
Old May 5, 2024, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
The system allows you to book CHC all the way to CDG but CHC-SYD is a different flight number, SYD-CDG is one flight number. I think its best for me to book multistop.
No reason to book as multi city - this is a simple one way journey
Old May 5, 2024, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

No reason to book as multi city - this is a simple one way journey
OK so its by segment, got it. Defintely easier to book as one! thanks
Old May 5, 2024, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi all
I am booking a one way flight on QF metal routing CHC-SYD-CDG The SYD-CDG stops in Perth but is one flight number and shows as one flight QF33.

My question is, I want to try to points upgrade just the QF33 flight SYD-CDG, can I upgrade just this segment if its all booked as one flight or do I need to book it as multi city:
i.e: leg 1 CHC-SYD
Leg 2 SYD-CDG
thank you!

It does not seem to change the fare if I search multi city versus one booking, so I am thinking to just do this?
Is CHC-SYD the QF flight or the later QF codeshare EK operated flight?

Far better to book as 1 PNR, as that gives you protection if the CHC flight is late (as you are planning)
Multi city or from the first screen makes no difference IMHO to best pricing or ticketing. Will be 1 PNR. Multi city can let book an early first flight or later second flight, but will expect will be no choice for CHC-CDG with QF

Unless you have high status the chances of a QF upgrade are low. Y to PE or Y to J.
Have you looked at EK CHC-SYD-DXB-CDG? But no upgrade opportunity with QF points.
As you probably know SQ also flys from CHC.
Old May 6, 2024, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Upgrade chances to Y+ or J?

booked! I am wondering if sny of you can see the loading whether I am more likely to get Economy to Premium economy or Economy to Business on QF33 departing Wed 17 July.

Or can they tell me on the calling centre?

Plat status points upgrade from a flexi economy

thanks!
Old May 6, 2024, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

I saw when selecting an upgrade if you choose Y-J you can tick a box and opt for Y+ as a fallback, so did that.

That is awesome, Air New Zealand does not allow that, they dont offer a "soft landing" option if you try a two class upgrade, if you miss out on J they dont put you in Y+ even if available!

Will advise how I go!
Old May 6, 2024, 10:58 pm

Have you looked at the price of Premium Economy outright on other carriers? I have booked PE from Sydney on Vietnam Airlines to Paris for less than Qantas wanted for economy and no gambling points
Old May 7, 2024, 2:57 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Days before the Paris Olympics?…

Yeah nah.
Old May 7, 2024, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller

Yeah nah.
fare was surprisingly cheap so you never know
Old May 7, 2024, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Have you looked at the price of Premium Economy outright on other carriers? I have booked PE from Sydney on Vietnam Airlines to Paris for less than Qantas wanted for economy and no gambling points
Big thank you!!!
I just played around with google flights and bizarely was able to book a discount premium economy fare on QF website for only NZ$480 more!!!:
Multi leg
CHC-SYD (assigned J seating)
overnight stop
SYD-CDG (premium economy on one booking)
ORY-MAD in Y (three day stopover in paris)

and have put in a request for upgrade to J on the SYD-CDG leg
Mwenenzi and pythonisman like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 1:13 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Big thank you!!!
I just played around with google flights and bizarely was able to book a discount premium economy fare on QF website for only NZ$480 more!!!:
Multi leg
CHC-SYD (assigned J seating)
overnight stop
SYD-CDG (premium economy on one booking)
ORY-MAD in Y (three day stopover in paris)

and have put in a request for upgrade to J on the SYD-CDG leg
Good stuff. Obviously the Olympics will play a part (as it could be people start paying any money they can to get there), but being in PE and QF Platinum you should hopefully have a decent shot at an upgrade for long flights if there are J seats available. J on the 787 is a great place to be.

If you're able to select a bulkhead seat in PE it's not too bad, with no-one reclining into you it is possible to find a position to sleep in (I found recently anyway).
Old May 8, 2024, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pythonisman
Good stuff. Obviously the Olympics will play a part (as it could be people start paying any money they can to get there), but being in PE and QF Platinum you should hopefully have a decent shot at an upgrade for long flights if there are J seats available. J on the 787 is a great place to be.

If you're able to select a bulkhead seat in PE it's not too bad, with no-one reclining into you it is possible to find a position to sleep in (I found recently anyway).
thank you! yes all the advice here has as always been super helpful, and now at least I know I will travel on some comfort on this marathon flight.

Y was looking pretty brutal!!!
Koru Flyer and pythonisman like this.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller

Yeah nah.
yeah. confirmed and J wide open still two days out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.