Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

SYD QF domestic->Intl connection [on separate tickets]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2024, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold

First trip down under.

Will be arriving SYD on QF from either MCY or BNE. Ticket not purchased yet. JQ has better flight times from MCY but won't check bags through.
Connecting to QF103 SYD-HNL, departing at 8:05pm. Ticket purchased.

With separate tickets, will QF check bags thru? Will I be able to check in for QF103 at MCY/BNE, or will I have to be back at SYD at 6pm?

Will have 6+ between flights. Hoping to hop on the Metro and do something fun during the day. We'll have been in Sydney for a few days earlier in the trip. Flying in J, so could go to the lounge instead.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF web site link--->https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...d-baggage.html
On separate PNR's QF will interline
  • QF to QF
  • QF to EK
  • QF to/from oneworld ^ ^ Exemptions apply for customers travelling on a oneworld separate PNRs when using a combination of award travel and revenue travel. Note: This is a Qantas exemption and may not be supported by all oneworld airlines.
At 6pm is a peak time for commuter traffic on the train network. Need to process AU emigration and security before getting airside/to the gate. Do not take too many risks for your 08:05pm flight to USA.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
On separate tickets, QF should (a) through check bags (dependent on storage time limits at airports, (b) issue all BPs - unless subject to local control and (c) link your bookings in their airport system. Note - despite all this you have separate tickets and a contract only as purchased.

train to/from Sydney and the airport is relatively painless, and you can use a CC as a ticket. It will be peak time, but to anyone who has traveled, that is nothing, just means you will not get a seat perhaps.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 10:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
Does the reward booking on another oneworld carrier have to have been made via Qantas?

I have an award booking on Qatar SYD-DOH-LHR made via British Airways. I'm looking to fly from MCY or BNE to get to SYD and would ideally through check the bag using this policy and don't want to overlook an obstacle to it.

And reading the clause, it must be a combination of award and revenue travel - so I need a cash fare from QLD to SYD - booking the domestic leg as a second award ticket would fail at check-in or do people have experience of this being done?

Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.