Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on missed connection

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2024, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Advice on missed connection

Hi all,

I have a revenue flight on QF127 from SYD - HKG (QF points) and an award flight (CX points) on AY100 from HKG - to HEL with c2.5hr early evening transit. I note that QF127 seems to run late regularly, including several 3+hr delays. Under QF policy they should interline bags and issue boarding pass. Appreciating that if the QF flight is delayed such that the connection is not possible, I will be on my own and need to book an alternative flight (relying on travel insurance), 2 questions I'm wrestling with:

1. How would I go about booking the alternative flight? eg, EK has a 00.30 departure. Could I book online with EK direct via Google Flights etc (seems cheaper) or at a Transfer desk or would I need to exit immigration and go to EK check in to do this? Other suggestions much appreciated

2. Assuming QF did interline bags, what would happen to them on arrival in HK with the AY connection no longer possible?

Many thanks for the insights
Old Apr 19, 2024, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I would check your travel insurance to see if it covers missed connections for a delayed inbound. Not many do, and those that do sometimes require you to have been scheduled to arrive at your connection point no later than the opening of check-in. Which in AY’s case is likely to be 3+ hours, rather than the 2.5 you have.

You may also need to call your insurance company before purchasing a new flight, as it might be that they want you to exhaust any points options rather than forking out for a new ticket.

In the event the flight is late your bags won’t make it, you’d need to check at the transit desk (airside) what’s going to happen with them. You may need to collect them and check in again. Both the QF and EK transit desks will be able to advise.
Take me home likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Thx LHR......I have written confirmation from the insurer that such an event would be covered.

Appreciate the advice re checking with the transfer desk. Fingers crossed its all moot!
Old Apr 20, 2024, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe after the trip you can share your insurer? It’s really rare to have such a benefit, which would be useful for many of us.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
There is no connection.
You have two separate trips.

Does your insurance missed connections, or does it cover the case of you failing to take your second trip because an unrelated trip was delayed? Because that's the situation you'd be in.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
There is no connection.
You have two separate trips.

Does your insurance missed connections, or does it cover the case of you failing to take your second trip because an unrelated trip was delayed? Because that's the situation you'd be in.
There are a few policies that cover the circumstances described by the OP, with the definition of ‘connection’ including separate tickets. Those policies are rare, but not unheard of. They are essentially covering against a delayed inbound, whether that’s by plane or another mode of transport.
AirborneLocksmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.