Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

1 Hour International-International at SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2024, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Well I played the risky game of booking separate itineraries. The story goes, I found award availability on Qantas from LAX-SYD in business class for just 55k AS miles for a flight in April. About a month ago I purchases a cash flight to connect onwards to AKL which is also a QF flight, this time booked directly with QF for cash in economy.

The original flight was scheduled to arrive at 6:35am, and week or 2 ago it was changed to now arrive at 8:10am. The problem with this is my separate connecting flight is at 9:10am which gives me 1 hour to connect. For the record I fly with carry on only baggage, which should make connecting easier/quicker.

I am looking for those experienced with QF what you would do in this situation. Keep the 1 hour connect and hope everything goes perfectly, or pay the what appears to be ~$110 USD to change to the SYD-AKL flight at noon. Or is there any chance QF might work with me to allow the change with no fee since it is caused by their schedule change, even tho it is separate bookings (I highly doubt this - but ill ask). Or lastly, is there any sort of same-day standby option on QF to standby for a later SYD-AKL flight?
Old Feb 18, 2024, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1 hour is, i would say, cutting it too fine and would suggest paying the $110 to change to a later flight; it is possible to connect in an hour, but wouldn't suggest it on separate tickets

If you miss the flight, then you will likely be on your own

QF won't make a free change since there is no change to that flight

There is no concept of stand by

Since you have separate tickets, make sure that you do have appropriate visa / ETA for Australia , since you may not be permitted to board the flight to Australia if you are ineligible to enter the country
Old Feb 18, 2024, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by quitecryptic
Hi all,

Well I played the risky game of booking separate itineraries. The story goes, I found award availability on Qantas from LAX-SYD in business class for just 55k AS miles for a flight in April. About a month ago I purchases a cash flight to connect onwards to AKL which is also a QF flight, this time booked directly with QF for cash in economy.

The original flight was scheduled to arrive at 6:35am, and week or 2 ago it was changed to now arrive at 8:10am. The problem with this is my separate connecting flight is at 9:10am which gives me 1 hour to connect. For the record I fly with carry on only baggage, which should make connecting easier/quicker.

I am looking for those experienced with QF what you would do in this situation. Keep the 1 hour connect and hope everything goes perfectly, or pay the what appears to be ~$110 USD to change to the SYD-AKL flight at noon. Or is there any chance QF might work with me to allow the change with no fee since it is caused by their schedule change, even tho it is separate bookings (I highly doubt this - but ill ask). Or lastly, is there any sort of same-day standby option on QF to standby for a later SYD-AKL flight?

Them's the risks of gambling with buying separate tickets !! (I've done it too). You don't actually have a 'connection', just an unrelated flight that happens to be on the same airline. You'll need to achieve check-in for your SYD-AKL flight to ensure you are not a no-show. It is possible QF staff at LAX could check-thru any bags you have - regulars here will know best.

Personally, I'd pay for a change to a later flight. QF has no reason to help you out here.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I played the risky game of booking separate itineraries
Today's QF12 landed at 06:13 vs scheduled 06:35. But can be the other way.
QF12 recent history. Includes a cancellation and delays--> https://www.sydney-airport.net/syd-flight-arrival/QF12
Plus/minus 15 minutes of scheduled is considered "on time"

A lot of international flights arrive early morning
Link--> https://www.sydney-airport.net/syd-arrivals-terminal-1
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Sorry misread on my phone AKL for ADL, time for new glasses ;-)

I would still not recommend it.

KF

Last edited by Koru Flyer; Feb 18, 2024 at 4:32 pm
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
To make it clear, let’s just list what you need to do. And arriving at peak arrival time.
<snip>
catch bus from international to domestic
<snip>
OP is doing International-International at SYD.
And maybe hoping to do an airside transfer and get the SYD-AKL boarding pass at LAX, online or at the transfer desk/security area.
If OP needs to go landside to get a boarding pass a *lot* more time needed.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 18, 2024 at 7:59 pm Reason: added "at LAX"
Old Feb 18, 2024, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Ignoring the crazy wait times, I would just call QF and ask. Worst what can happen is them saying you need to fork out $110.
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 7:46 pm

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
QF will through check bags and issue boarding passes for both flights in LAX, even on different tickets. You'll find the QF-QF separate ticket scenario here.

Not sure what the MCT is for international to international, but if your current itinerary is within this then you'll be fine in theory. QF may not protect you against a misconnect though.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:08 pm

On a through ticket, it would meet the MCT since 60 mins is the MCT for QF-QF International to International connection
On separate tickets, I wouldn't risk such a short time between flights though
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:17 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i be devils adcovate, 1hr is too tight but not impossible. you would probably clear transit security in 5min and get to ur Syd Akl gate within 10min of disembarking.

on QF-QF i just flrw HKG-SYD-OOL on a seperate ticket.At checkin at HK they were able to "link" the booking whatever that meant. well arriving flught was delayed by 1.5hr and QF actually rebooked my Syd-OOL to next flight and the attendent informed me midflight if new details. both were redemption seperately.

Long story short i landed 750pm. Dashed thru immigration and security to domestic connection (no checked luggage and biosecurity i was not stopped) and arrived at originaally intended SYD-OOL gate by 835am when boarding was about to commence. I asked the agent if they could.seat me on.this 9am departure and they helped me by re-issuIng boarding pass for origal flight.

So i have some faith QF will help if you have QF status (I am WP). if you dont have time critical matter at AKL (like catch a cruise or have investor presentation) and simply going for holiday risking is possible. worst case you are no-show for original flight and ask to be put on next flight with penalty
Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fakecd
i be devils advocate, 1hr is too tight but not impossible. you would probably clear transit security in 5min and get to ur Syd Akl gate within 10min of disembarking.

on QF-QF i just flrw HKG-SYD-OOL on a seperate ticket.At checkin at HK they were able to "link" the booking whatever that meant. well arriving flight was delayed by 1.5hr and QF actually rebooked my Syd-OOL to next flight and the attendant informed me midflight if new details. both were redemption seperately.
<snip>
OP has LAX-SYD as an AS award and a separate SYD-AKL cash ticket. Assume name, passport and AS ff number the same in both separate reservations.
While at HKG they "linked" your tickets, no guarantee QF LAX will do that for OP. Would hope QF do a little more for is own Platinum [Oneworld emerald] status members compared than other random OW passengers.

From link above for the last 10 days QF12
  • 1 cancellation
  • 1 long delay
  • 1 delay
  • 7 on time (plus/minus15 minutes)
Up to the OP if he/she wants to spend US$110 for insurance. Or risk a no show, with the possibly of a nil refund but maybe real taxes [~AU$140]
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
While at HKG they "linked" your tickets, no guarantee QF LAX will do that for OP.
This is part of the interlining process, which QF's site explicitly mentions they do for QF-QF even on separate PNR's.

https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hrough-checked
quitecryptic likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gravii
This is part of the interlining process, which QF's site explicitly mentions they do for QF-QF even on separate PNR's.
https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hrough-checked
QF link if for --> Interline and Through Checked Baggage
OP has stated will not have checked bags "For the record I fly with carry on only baggage".

Are posts on FT where QF have refused to interline bags on separate PNR's. Often at outstations and/or 1 flight an award.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:03 am

QF link if for --> Interline and Through Checked Baggage
OP has stated will not have checked bags "For the record I fly with carry on only baggage".
Which is why I mentioned that it's part of the same process. In any case the table mentions "Boarding Pass" as well as baggage.

Are posts on FT where QF have refused to interline bags on separate PNR's. Often at outstations and/or 1 flight an award.
These issues occur when you're doing a through check for a QF to oneworld or QF to any other airline and on separate PNR's. Qantas has always through checked when it's their own code for both flights.
The 'exception' for QF to OW is supposed to be if one flight is an award, but that's not relevant here.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:41 am

Whether baggage can be checked through or not is irrelevant given that the OP isn't checking luggage
That luggage can be checked through has no bearing on the fact that the OP is on his/her own in relation to protection if misconnected
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.