Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Melbourne / MEL Qantas First Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Melbourne / MEL Qantas First Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2024, 4:11 pm

Went through it just t'other month – it's the same feature set as its Sydney sibling (a la carte dining, spa, meeting rooms), just on a much smaller and less grand scale.
lsquare and pandaperth like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
Has anyone been to this lounge recently? I'm reading that it's about the same as the Sydney International First Lounge. Looking forward to reading about your experiences with this lounge.
Here now (delayed flight to Singapore).

Plenty of info here:

https://www.australianfrequentflyer....5/post-2630123
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 12:16 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] I have adjusted the thread title and will merge some new post about the lounge into this thread. Thanks Mwenenzi for the suggestion [/mod hat]
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Excellent F lounge, same menu etc and SYD, and while smaller I prefer it to SYD, as usually service is better, less mistakes and less rushed.
lsquare, whughes3 and jrfsp320 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: Tribe 54 Sweat Lodge 12
Hi knowledgeable people. If I fly, as an Emerald,:
1. Domestic QF Y from BNE to MEL, then
2. Int'l UA J--so *A instead of OW--from MEL to SFO on same day

think they'll let me in int'l F in MEL "on domestic arrival", since I can obv access int'l departure area?
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beamerbenzbentli
Hi knowledgeable people. If I fly, as an Emerald,:
1. Domestic QF Y from BNE to MEL, then
2. Int'l UA J--so *A instead of OW--from MEL to SFO on same day

think they'll let me in int'l F in MEL "on domestic arrival", since I can obv access int'l departure area?
Not a hope. Not even worth trying.
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...igibility.html
Find out about access eligibility across Qantas lounges. Lounge access eligibility is based on the class of travel for your next onward flight, the Frequent Flyer Membership tier or your Qantas Club membership status.
<snip>

Important information

Disclaimer: *The flight can be operated by a non-Qantas carrier.

Disclaimer: # The flight number must be operated and marketed by a oneworld® carrier. A oneworld® marketed flight refers to a flight with a oneworld® flight number, eg QF1 or AA222. A oneworld® operated flight refers to the actual aircraft or 'metal' on which you fly, eg Finnair aircraft. Excludes oneworld connect partner flights.

Disclaimer: ** Valid in Qantas operated lounges branded as the Qantas Club or Qantas Lounge. It is not accepted in associated and partner lounges and the lounges in Los Angeles.

Disclaimer: ^^ Flight may or may not be operated by a Qantas flight number, please refer to specific lounge location for access information.

Disclaimer: + Jetstar refers to Jetstar Airlines (JQ), Jetstar Asia (3K), Jetstar Japan (GK) and Jetstar Pacific (BL). Must be travelling onwards on a Jetstar Airways operated and marketed flight in the business cabin on a business max fare. Lounge access is only permitted from Gold Coast Airport, Sydney International, Melbourne International, Denpasar International, Singapore Changi International, Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International, Phuket International Airports and Honolulu International.

Disclaimer: ^ China Eastern refers to a flight operated by China Eastern with a QF or MU flight number travelling between Australia and mainland China. When travelling between Brisbane and mainland China, Platinum Eastern Miles Members are invited to use the Qantas Brisbane International Lounge.

Disclaimer: ~ Qantas Club members travelling to New York or Dallas Fort Worth are eligible for American Airlines Admiral lounge only. Emirates business class lounge for Qantas Club members is only available in Dubai. Qantas Club members travelling on Emirates are entitled to lounge access on flights departing from Australia only.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 19, 2024 at 4:12 pm Reason: added text after QF link
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: Tribe 54 Sweat Lodge 12
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
This does not explicitly say that lounge access is solely for departure, only that you need a QF or OW flight the same day. Some posts online are saying yes to using arriving flight credentials if domestic J lounge, but not international lounge. In any case, I would be using the domestic BNE-MEL flight + my OWE status as credentials, in case that wasn't clear. Obviously I'm not trying to use the *A departure flight as access.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
This does not explicitly say that lounge access is solely for departure, only that you need a QF or OW flight the same day. Some posts online are saying yes to using arriving flight credentials if domestic J lounge, but not international lounge. In any case, I would be using the domestic BNE-MEL flight + my OWE status as credentials, in case that wasn't clear. Obviously I'm not trying to use the *A departure flight as access.

Update: for anyone else who's curious, I found this FAQ from Qantas directly: https://help.qantas.com/support/s/ar...-Flyer-members
​​​​​​​When travelling domestically within Australia you can access Qantas Clubs and Domestic Business lounges when you are travelling on any flight the same day with a Qantas, Emirates or Jetstar (QF, EK or JQ) flight number. For Qantas owned and operated International Business lounges, your next onward flight that day must be either a Qantas, Emirates or Jetstar (QF, EK or JQ) flight number or a oneworld operated flight number.

Last edited by beamerbenzbentli; Mar 19, 2024 at 5:24 pm
Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Flying on Qantas from BNE-MEL, you will get lounge access in BNE due to OW Emerald status
You will not get access to QF lounges at MEL with a departure on UA
Old Mar 20, 2024, 6:00 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Please feel free to try, and report back on the SQ or NZ lounges ;-)
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 4:57 am

As a OWE (BA Gold), will they let me bring my wife and 4 year old in with me as guests? I read the child access policy which seems favorable, but it mentions Qantas Club and QFF only. The three of us will be traveling on QF MEL-NRT in economy.
Old May 3, 2024, 8:08 pm

In my experience as a BA OWE, 99/100 you will be fine. And the 1/100 is I have never ever had an issue, but someone will point out an outlier. The exceptions are when it is say a CX or QR flight as they will not pay for additional guests in QF lounges.

However, the rule implies that this is a QF FF benefit and that it does not apply to OW card holders. So while I have never experienced anything other than a warm welcome, there is no recourse if you are politely suggested that you cannot have two guests.

just rock up, hand over the BPs, do not ask unless asked. There are paid lounges (the house) and an Amex lounge which are reasonable if you find yourself in a negative.

KF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.