Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Classic rewards business upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Classic rewards business upgrade

I found a business classic rewards fare to Tokyo but waited a day to confirm travel details and it was taken. So I booked a Premium Economy classic rewards seat and have requested an upgrade to business.
I’ve read about how Gold and Platinum upgrade requests get filled first then it works down to someone who is in economy with bronze.

Would a classic rewards ticket be at bottom of the upgrade hierarchy? Would I be below someone who has paid a cash fare like discount economy? Or am I above all economy requests because I’m in Premium?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Congrats on getting a PE fare to Tokyo
Many of the cheaper discount economy tickets are not eligible for upgrade
Upgrade windows are done strictly in order of status
So yes you would be behind QFWP or Gold in economy (with an eligible fare)

There is a sale on at the moment - depending on prices you may wish to change what you are doing. And many airlines (not sure on QF) use the sale to whittle out demand, and then "may" open up FF seats immediately post sale. So always worth checking often (expert flyer could help here).
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Congrats on getting a PE fare to Tokyo
Many of the cheaper discount economy tickets are not eligible for upgrade
Upgrade windows are done strictly in order of status
So yes you would be behind QFWP or Gold in economy (with an eligible fare)

There is a sale on at the moment - depending on prices you may wish to change what you are doing. And many airlines (not sure on QF) use the sale to whittle out demand, and then "may" open up FF seats immediately post sale. So always worth checking often (expert flyer could help here).
Thanks for reply, I’ve seen on Expertflyer that business is half empty, so that would explain the sale fares. I’ve been checking each day for a business reward seat to pop up again.

So you think classic rewards ticket are behind all eligible paid tickets for an upgrade? Like a Bronze FF in economy?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Tonyyy
So you think classic rewards ticket are behind all eligible paid tickets for an upgrade? Like a Bronze FF in economy?
No, upgrades are processed in order of status.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 11:46 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I didn’t think you could upgrade a points ticket with another points upgrade or have i misunderstood all along?
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:04 am

Yes. Scroll down to the table in the FAQ
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen...itions%20apply.

they would be quite expensive points wise I think…maybe getting into the points plus pay range, once you take in account taxes, excises etc.

KF
Old Jan 30, 2024, 1:11 am

Best thing todo is if you find business availability book it. You can then cancel your PE award ticket, you will get a refund for your fees however will get a 10,000 points deducted for the cancellation.
Koru Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aidan
Best thing todo is if you find business availability book it. You can then cancel your PE award ticket, you will get a refund for your fees however will get a 10,000 points deducted for the cancellation.
I hope to do that and keep checking daily.

The Business classic rewards I missed out on was going to be 82k, Premium cost me 62k.

It gave me an error when I tried to request an upgrade so rang Qantas and they did it over the phone. They said it would be 43k for the upgrade. I’d be still ahead with the cancelation points fee.
Aidan and Koru Flyer like this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 1:33 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
A unique feature of classic flight awards with Qantas is the possibility of instant point upgrades to business or first class, when classic availability becomes available. So if you are booked into a Premium Economy classic award and then notice later that a Business classic award is available, you can upgrade instantly by calling Qantas and simply telling them that you want to be rebooked into business now that it's available. I'm unsure whether Qantas charges a change fee for this service (if they do it's 5,000 points) but something to consider.

-RooFlyer88
Aidan likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
A unique feature of classic flight awards with Qantas is the possibility of instant point upgrades to business or first class, when classic availability becomes available. So if you are booked into a Premium Economy classic award and then notice later that a Business classic award is available, you can upgrade instantly by calling Qantas and simply telling them that you want to be rebooked into business now that it's available. I'm unsure whether Qantas charges a change fee for this service (if they do it's 5,000 points) but something to consider.

-RooFlyer88
I didn’t know this, thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 4:38 am
Original Poster

I got lucky and a classic rewards business fare became available. Thanks for the replies.

It was only an extra 32k points which was an upgrade from premium to business on the Syd to Tokyo leg, plus economy to business on 2 domestic legs.
Aidan and Thai-Kiwi like this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Tonyyy
I got lucky and a classic rewards business fare became available. Thanks for the replies.

It was only an extra 32k points which was an upgrade from premium to business on the Syd to Tokyo leg, plus economy to business on 2 domestic legs.
Glad it worked out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.