Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF1 SYD-SIN J-F Upgrade at airport with cash?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Hey all,

In a few days I'm flying SYD-SIN on QF1 ticketed in D with a 001 ticket.

Does anyone know if Qantas will be able to process an upgrade with cash at the airport? If so, any idea of cost for the upgrade to F?

Additionally, I'm coming from MEL-SYD beforehand on the same ticket to connect to QF1. Should I ask at MEL check-in, SYD check-in, or SYD First Lounge?

Thanks a lot
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newEUer
In a few days I'm flying SYD-SIN on QF1 ticketed in D with a 001 ticket.

Does anyone know if Qantas will be able to process an upgrade with cash at the airport? If so, any idea of cost for the upgrade to F?

Additionally, I'm coming from MEL-SYD beforehand on the same ticket to connect to QF1. Should I ask at MEL check-in, SYD check-in, or SYD First Lounge?

Thanks a lot
001 = AA issued Cash booking?
On QF "manage booking" does it have a red upgrade button?
Hoping for a cost less than the retail fare difference? {A *big* hope from AU}
Most QF airport staff will not touch cash- credit cards. Need a service desk, that handles ticketing.
QF F lounge is operated by Accor IIRC. Few, if any, direct Qantas employees.
https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/manage-...g/upgrade.html

QF will fly with occupied F & J seats. Even when upgrades are requested.

At MEL T1 domestic check in with the manual check-in desks on the right. International flights (connection) often require a document check.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 8, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
001 = AA issued Cash booking?
On QF "manage booking" does it have a red upgrade button?
Hoping for a cost less than the retail fare difference? {A *big* hope from AU}
Most QF airport staff will not touch cash- credit cards. Need a service desk, that handles ticketing.
QF F lounge is operated by Accor IIRC. Few, if any, direct Qantas employees.
https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/manage-...g/upgrade.html

QF will fly with occupied F & J seats. Even when upgrades are requested.

At MEL check in with the manual check-in desks on the right. International flights often require a document check.
Hello Mwenenzi fancy seeing you here

Indeed it is a cash ticket, a DONE5 in fact after you suggested me to buy one last year. Finally in the midst of it and loving it!

No red button in MMB unfortunately, I'm not too fussed about being cheaper but would like to treat the soon to be wife to F on the first big flight of our honeymoon.

Will check in at MEL and see what happens then, will let you know what transpires.

Thanks again
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Enjoy your QF business class flight SYD-SIN
unityofsaints and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 8, 2024 at 5:46 pm Reason: Not QF1 to LHR
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Enjoy your QF business class flight SYD-SIN-LHR.
No QF LHR this time SIN-CMB-MLE-DOH-SEZ-DOH-LHR - trip of a lifetime!
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newEUer
No QF LHR this time SIN-CMB-MLE-DOH-SEZ-DOH-LHR - trip of a lifetime!
Hitting some good destinations!
If you have QR J suites, you a have product which many consider better than QF F.
newEUer and Guvner067 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

For the data points:

No can do at MEL check-in
QF F Lounge in Sydney said no can do unless I buy a whole new one way ticket

Also F is entirely full! Oh well, still plenty of J to enjoy
​​
shuuy and QF WP like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:39 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Hitting some good destinations!
If you have QR J suites, you a have product which many consider better than QF F.
I would say food is much better with QR J, especially you can eat as much as you want, at any time you want. Qantas only serves one meal SYD-SIN, plus a joking sandwich before landing.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:17 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I would say food is much better with QR J, especially you can eat as much as you want, at any time you want. Qantas only serves one meal SYD-SIN, plus a joking sandwich before landing.
Compare the QF joking sandwich with what SQ offers (no real difference). And then compare the QF breakfast with the SQ non existent breakfast on their respective SIN-SYD overnight flights.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:43 am

Programs: QF Plat, NZ Silver, EY, EK, SQ & UA
Just on this - I am also doing SIN to SYD in J on QF. At Changi when you check in, do they ever offer cash deals to upgrade into F? I remember years and years ago I paid some £ to upgrade Y to J at LHR on the flight when it was via DXB.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by tm84
Just on this - I am also doing SIN to SYD in J on QF. At Changi when you check in, do they ever offer cash deals to upgrade into F? I remember years and years ago I paid some £ to upgrade Y to J at LHR on the flight when it was via DXB.
In general, QF does not offer paid upgrades at the airport. Their flights tend to be full of points upgrade requests (which have higher priority than cash upgrades) but all of it needs to be done online and the system will assign upgrades. Very common to see J inventory wiped to 1 at around check in time as points upgrades clear.
fakecd, tm84 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 7:23 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Elanshin
In general, QF does not offer paid upgrades at the airport. Their flights tend to be full of points upgrade requests (which have higher priority than cash upgrades) but all of it needs to be done online and the system will assign upgrades. Very common to see J inventory wiped to 1 at around check in time as points upgrades clear.
It’s a crappy flight and not really worth the effort to try to upgrade. The departure meal service is likely to take up to 2 hours, the arrival breakfast is likely to run for an hour or so, then there’s the approach / clean up. Not much time for sleep in between those events. And the crew may be winding down on the homebound flight - or partying in the galley with their friends (seriously).
Koru Flyer and tm84 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
I just flew QF1 with family. I was on a classic rewards ticket in Y and couldn't be bothered checking in on the app as I didnt have passports to hand for APIS. At the SYD check in in the first class section I was offered a cash upgrade for the first time ever - 1850 Y to Premium Economy per head.

I'm WP1 and this is the first time I've ever had an upsell like this. I was at the airport at T-4.5 because of bad planning on my part. In order to process I had to move from the F check in desk to the service desk then come back to finish checking bags.
Mwenenzi, fakecd, tm84 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 3:14 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by sydtogla
I just flew QF1 with family. I was on a classic rewards ticket in Y and couldn't be bothered checking in on the app as I didnt have passports to hand for APIS. At the SYD check in in the first class section I was offered a cash upgrade for the first time ever - 1850 Y to Premium Economy per head.

I'm WP1 and this is the first time I've ever had an upsell like this. I was at the airport at T-4.5 because of bad planning on my part. In order to process I had to move from the F check in desk to the service desk then come back to finish checking bags.
AUD 1850 doesn't sound like a fantastic deal. Just checking a couple of days later in the year and this is roughly the price difference between Y and PE. But of course coming from a Y award things look a bit different.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 3:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Just one more thing to say on this - at T-12 (i.e in the night) I got a bid now email. They had obviously cleared a bunch of upgrades and it triggered something in the system to send me a last gasp. When I didn't engage with that they got me at the airport. I don't think this will ever happen again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.