Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Changing FFP from BA to QF, questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2023, 10:26 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold

Hello,
I am looking to change my partner his FFP from BA to QF. He is generally OW sapphire.
  • This is mainly given as we are based in Singapore and there are more options to do 4 (affordable) QF sectors including Jetstar from here instead of BA.
  • QF as a benefit also has an achievable lifetime gold. (and a challenging level for platinum) and status works on Emirates (on QF code).

from the T&Cs, I see two important definitions:

"'Anniversary Month' is the month during which a Member joined Qantas Frequent Flyer, irrespective of the year"
"'Membership Year' commences on the first day of the month following a Member's Anniversary Month and concludes on the last day of the Member's Anniversary Month the following year"
  1. If I join the program on the 1st of December does that make my membership year commence on the 1st of January?
  2. If so, what happens to flights taken in December?
Globalist
Old Nov 30, 2023, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Globalist
  1. If I join the program on the 1st of December does that make my membership year commence on the 1st of January?
  2. If so, what happens to flights taken in December?
1. Yes, and your membership year will end on 31 Dec.
2. Status credits from these flights will post as normal (per their scheduled date of departure in Dec) and when the calendar ticks over to 1 Jan your status credit balance will reset to zero.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 12:43 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by eminere
1. Yes, and your membership year will end on 31 Dec.
2. Status credits from these flights will post as normal (per their scheduled date of departure in Dec) and when the calendar ticks over to 1 Jan your status credit balance will reset to zero.
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
I need to clarify as my question did not have the detail,

If I join the program On December 1st 2023, and take flights around the 25th of December 2023 I will lose those those qualifying metal flights already on January 1st 2024? I was hoping that year 1 qualifying would be 1 December 2023 to end December 2024 with all flights counting during that time, and year 2 from January 1st 2025 to end December 2026. It doesn't make sense to have a reset in points and qualifying flights in the first 30 days after joining the program? On the other hand also not the end of the world..

Globalist
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Globalist
If I join the program On December 1st 2023, and take flights around the 25th of December 2023 I will lose those those qualifying metal flights already on January 1st 2024?
Correct. Those flights will post and the status credits earned from them will reset to zero on 1 Jan. Should there be a delay in the flights posting until Jan you will see the status credits appear on your activity statement and then immediately get deducted, as they relate to your previous membership year.

It wouldn't make sense for your year to run from 1 Dec 2023 to 31 Dec 2024 as that would mean there would be 13 months in your membership year.

Not ideal I know but if it's any consolation these expired status credits do still get added to your lifetime total.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have family members who joined 4 Aug some years ago. SC's earned in that Aug did not expire 31 Aug
On 1 Sept the following year (~1 year 1 month) in activity statement states "EXPIRED STATUS CREDITS‡" (=effective 31 Aug)
Old Nov 30, 2023, 7:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Just to add some thoughts, are you sure that you want to join QF - versus say AA, QR (where you can transfer avios from BA). While not highlighting the ins and outs, QF will actively penalise people who fly on OW routes which QF believe are in competition through 50% less status credits, and the situation with MH is difficult with most business fares only attracting economy SCs and miles. And Jetstar is only if you trade up the mileage earning fares.

Just highlighting those two as many people miss those.

Many threads on ins and outs of QF program vs AA and others.

KF
eminere and DiamondMile like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:17 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
I may be incorrect, but this is what happens if you join on 1 Dec 2023 and take a qualifying flight on 25 Dec 2023.
Scenario 1, your current membership year will end 30 Nov 2024, so the flight taken on 25 Dec 2023 will count towards the status credits of the current membership year.
Scenario 2, you current membership year will end 31 Dec 2024, again the flight taken on 25 Dec 2023 will count towards the status credits of the current membership year.
Of course under Scenario 2, flights taken in Dec 2024 will also count towards the current membership year.

It is quite likely that Scenario 2 will happen, if not then Scenario 1.

I am certain that Scenario 3, as described below, will not happen.
Scenario 3, join 1 Dec 2023, credit flight on 25 Dec 2023, status credit for this flight expires on 1 Jan 2024, start status credit count all over again.
I think part of eminere's reply is not correct.
Cheers, Gerald
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
All I can add in my QF Gold renewal is 31 Dec. Darned inconvenient as my year-end travel to Asia usually spans Dec-Jan. If my travel pattern was annual no issues of course, but it isn’t…..

QF have been quietly laughing at me for 25+ years…..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.