Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

789 business class seat for solo- seat 11A??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:30 am
Original Poster

I wes fortunate enough to snag a business class award on Alaska airline a couple of days ago for LAX to MEL on the 789. Only seat available is 11A.
Is this a good seat? Right behind row 12 is the premium economy. Would there be lots of traffic from the premium economy folks coming into biz class bathroom?
I was told all seats are taken except for the restricted 2k which I can possibly exchange at the airport if available.

Should I ask for seat 2k or leave it as 11 A.?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Best seats for a solo IMHO are the ones where the seat is next to window rather than the aisle (11A is a window, where as 2K is an aisle). A site like aerolopa is a great source, and lays it out well.

The pax in PE should be going backwards to the bathroom and not walking through business. Some of course may decide to...

One of my pet peeves of QF's PE is that there is no dedicated bathroom.

I would stick where you are.

KF
Old Oct 19, 2023, 5:40 am

2K is much better been up the front and it’s also a window seat. You are also a good distance from the toilet which is nearer to 2A.

You maybe able to select the seat on the Qantas website 80 hours before the flight departure. That is typically when the restricted seats start to open.

Pic below I have circled 2K.

Old Oct 19, 2023, 6:42 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Aidan
2K is much better been up the front and it’s also a window seat.
Aiden, I would disagree, yes it is next to the window, but the seat is very much in the aisle as the large shelf to the side of the seat is next to the window and you seat is quite close to the aisle. Whereas, the true window seats have the large shelf on the aisle side so your seat is very close to the window and not as open as the other seats.

You can see it clearly n the aerolopa map that 11A is right next to the window whereas 2K is quite exposed to the aisle. A good example is to compare row 2 and row 3. Take a look at the online pics and you will see that shelf area is about the width of an economy class seat.

Each to their own, but I would select any true window seat over a aisle that is next to a window behind a shelf.

Cheers,

KF
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:43 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The real danger is getting the missing window about 2/3 of the way between door 1 and 2. Its about rows 4 or 5 but can’t remember off hand. Its where there is a critical fuselage join between the wing section and the front section. Not that it matters except that a window is sacrificed for the aircraft structure.

edited, its 5K and 6A that are most affected - based on the QF web published seat diagram for the 789.
Koru Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Aiden, I would disagree, yes it is next to the window, but the seat is very much in the aisle as the large shelf to the side of the seat is next to the window and you seat is quite close to the aisle. Whereas, the true window seats have the large shelf on the aisle side so your seat is very close to the window and not as open as the other seats.

You can see it clearly n the aerolopa map that 11A is right next to the window whereas 2K is quite exposed to the aisle. A good example is to compare row 2 and row 3. Take a look at the online pics and you will see that shelf area is about the width of an economy class seat.

Each to their own, but I would select any true window seat over a aisle that is next to a window behind a shelf.

Cheers,

KF
I like a true window seat but am concern about folks from economy class using the bathrooms in front of row 10 . If too many people are waiting in line it will certainly spill over to row 11.
Otherwise I would rather be at row 2 for less traffic lining up for the bathroom
Old Oct 19, 2023, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by metoometoo
I like a true window seat but am concern about folks from economy class using the bathrooms in front of row 10 . If too many people are waiting in line it will certainly spill over to row 11.
Otherwise I would rather be at row 2 for less traffic lining up for the bathroom
Yes besides the two toilets near and premium economy noise in row 11 you also have to contend with 3 potential babies as the bassinets are near. High chance that 1K is still blocked as well. You can see if that opens up 80 hours before departure.

Last edited by Aidan; Oct 19, 2023 at 5:59 pm
Old Oct 20, 2023, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

sorry , please delete , already replied

Last edited by metoometoo; Oct 20, 2023 at 5:30 pm
Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aidan
Yes besides the two toilets near and premium economy noise in row 11 you also have to contend with 3 potential babies as the bassinets are near. High chance that 1K is still blocked as well. You can see if that opens up 80 hours before departure.
IK just became available ..Last checked 2 hours ago it was not

So now there is 11A, 2K and 1K.

I chose 1K...Hope I chose the best one....
Aidan likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 8:56 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

I think you’ll be happy in 1K. Nobody can escape a noisy baby. The impact zone will, most probably be the whole cabin. But “do you feel lucky?”
Old Oct 20, 2023, 10:58 pm

1K also has extra foot room. Great choice 🙂
Old Oct 21, 2023, 8:29 am

I have been in 1K and found it a great seat.

incidentally, is there an actual issue with people from Prem Y using the J bathrooms. One or two I could see slipping through but is it actually a thing or just speculation?

a value add for Prem or a deval for J. I have often balked at paying paying for Premium due to that lack of a bathroom.

KF
Old Oct 21, 2023, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
The concern about PE using the WCs and walking through the mini cabin is somewhat moot.

When sitting in 1A or 1K you have a lot of pax walking past you to get to the WC at the front. In the mini cabin you have fewer biz class pax walking past you, but some from premium.

I have never had an issue with foot traffic in either spot. Six of one, half dozen of the other! (And yes, on almost all flights premium eco pax are invited to use the biz class facilities, it’s not a case of them sneaking in!)

1A/K are great because you get served first during the initial meal service, but you get served last for the second. If that second service is breakfast you can find yourself with as little as 15 minutes to eat before they start to prepare for landing. That’s fine for short overnight flights, but on the long hauls it can mean you are awake and kind of waiting with nothing to do.
Aidan likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:29 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
I had 1K to YVR and it was awesome. Crew were super considerate noise and galley lighting wise. Enjoy.
Aidan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.