Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Rescue Flights from Tel Aviv - QF10 Delays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold

Qantas will use the QF9 arriving B787 into LHR today to launch a return trip down to Tel Aviv - approx 5 hours each way flight time - to bring Australians back to London. Subsequently the QF10 departure today will be delayed 10 hours. The Guardian reports that Qantas is funding the "operational costs".

Hopefully DFAT gets a good number of people on there.

ijkh likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 3:52 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The flight is currently underway as ASY1168 estimated arrival at 14:14 local TLV time (VH-ZNN).

The German government is also evacuating other nationalities. Currently two Lufthansa flights per day plus two Condor flights. They are also flying IDF Reserve fighters to Israel on those planes.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 5:20 am
Original Poster

ASY flight code would indicate the Qantas aircraft is in the control of the RAAF.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 5:43 am
MJA

Programs: QF Plat & Partner Gold, QF Life Gold, SPG Gold , Hilton Gold, CO, MH, VS Gold, Hyatt Plat
Qantas can get a hard time in this forum, but this is somewhere where they (and especially the operating crew) should get a pat on the back for getting Aussies in trouble home.

I was lucky enough to get on one of the repat flights they operated for the Gov to Howard Springs during Covid and will always be grateful to that crew, who had to endure quarantine themselves in both directions, for getting me home.
ijkh likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
QR flew substantially more Aussies home during covid and kept up regular flights. Rather than closing down ops. Just saying. ;-)

No question we need a national carrier, and no question about the personal commitment of many excellent staff. It is the ethics of how they have and continue to run their business

KF
DiamondMile and vantage03 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
QR flew substantially more Aussies home during covid and kept up regular flights. Rather than closing down ops. Just saying. ;-)

No question we need a national carrier, and no question about the personal commitment of many excellent staff. It is the ethics of how they have and continue to run their business

KF
Yes the Qatari government was happy to underwrite QR through covid to maintain some sort of RPT ops.

Likewise Qantas and Virgin & Rex (to an extent) operated on a subsided basis flights the Australian government wanted maintained as well. Domestic passenger RPT and freight. International passenger charters and dedicated freight.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 9:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikalee
Yes the Qatari government was happy to underwrite QR through covid to maintain some sort of RPT ops.
Not sure on the amount of QR subsidies, but QF did receive $2.7B and another $1B through IFAM during covid. And we could discuss the various cost savings they put into place that were later found to be illegal. I think pretty much we can say that most airlines were (rightly) subsidised. Some kept flying regular services in and out of Australia, and some chose not to.

I am sure the Australians on the flights are very grateful. And I am by no means suggesting anything about the absolute tragedy, trauma, stress and concern of people and families to get out.

However, given that I can buy flights today, tomorrow etc out of TLV to SYD and not overly expensive (given what is happening, and a walk up fare), I perceive a little bit of flag waving, reminding and lobbying by QF, and the same time as the Senate report and pages of bad press. A correlation does not mean causality, it is a bit of a coincidence though.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Would be interesting to see the "rescue" loads ....radio reports seem to indicate plenty of availability.....with what is it ten hour delay for LHR booked pax to Australia wonder how the EU261 will be applied....
​​
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:05 pm

My understanding was the QF flights were cancelled and now sensibly are a RAAF enterprise if required. The key challenge being that the issue is not so much getting people out of TLV, but getting people out of Gaza etc.
Happy to be corrected.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
My understanding was the QF flights were cancelled and now sensibly are a RAAF enterprise if required. The key challenge being that the issue is not so much getting people out of TLV, but getting people out of Gaza etc.
Happy to be corrected.
Thats correct. There is about 16 or so Australians in Gaza that wish to leave. The border to Israel is blockaded. Their only avenue will be via the Rafa crossing into Egypt if the Egyptians allow it. Egypt will be cautious about allowing this crossing to be open for fear of a flood of people out of Gaza.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
From what I am aware there was 787 flights to LHR from TLV in the past few days and also QF positioned a 380 to LHR to "assist". Now maybe been taken over by Airforce equipment and personnel?
​​​​​​
Old Oct 16, 2023, 9:25 pm

In the irony of ironies, QR is flying 222 Aussies home and then onwards with VA (This is a specific flight via Dubai (yes)). EK is also making specific flight from TLV to SYD for the AU government.
nivsy likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] I have deleted a lot of off topic posts. Please use this thread to discuss QF flights to repatriate people from TLV. [/mod hat]
Koru Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 3:48 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikalee
Thats correct. There is about 16 or so Australians in Gaza that wish to leave. The border to Israel is blockaded. Their only avenue will be via the Rafa crossing into Egypt if the Egyptians allow it. Egypt will be cautious about allowing this crossing to be open for fear of a flood of people out of Gaza.
I believe the number is 45 Australians in Gaza who are looking to be repatriated (and having difficulty doing so).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.