Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas T3 lounge denied access [@LHR]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2023, 11:27 am
Original Poster

BA gold fly to Europe, we were denied to enter Qantas T3 lounge at 1730 due to capacity? However they allow people fly with Qantas going in. Is it fair?
Old Sep 22, 2023, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yongie
BA gold fly to Europe, we were denied to enter Qantas T3 lounge at 1730 due to capacity? However they allow people fly with Qantas going in. Is it fair?
What airport? What flight were you on?
To me a Qantas lounge giving preference to people flying Qantas is OK, and restricting others not flying Qantas.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 3:02 pm

I am guessing....LHR?
Old Sep 22, 2023, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Capacity is a valid reason for estricting access. It hardly seems unfair that the airline is prioritising its own passengers over those who are neither flying on a Qantas flight nor hold status with Qantas

BA has a lounge at T3 ( assuming LHR ) which I expect that would have no issue giving access to one of its Gold members
djsflynn and DiamondMile like this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sof_lance
I am guessing....LHR?
Yes LHR T3
Old Sep 22, 2023, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What airport? What flight were you on?
To me a Qantas lounge giving preference to people flying Qantas is OK, and restricting others not flying Qantas.
We are on BA metal, naturally they refused us to enter
Old Sep 22, 2023, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Capacity is a valid reason for estricting access. It hardly seems unfair that the airline is prioritising its own passengers over those who are neither flying on a Qantas flight nor hold status with Qantas

BA has a lounge at T3 ( assuming LHR ) which I expect that would have no issue giving access to one of its Gold members
It would be fair if we were told they have preferences so we are not allowed in. It seemed not fair they use capacity as excuse while they still allow others in after us
Old Sep 22, 2023, 5:17 pm

It would be fair if we were told they have preferences so we are not allowed in. It seemed not fair they use capacity as excuse while they still allow others in after us
How is it unfair that Qantas is restricting access if it wants to ensure that its passengers are able to access the lounge and be able to get a seat. It is better than letting non QF members/passengers in and then having to deny QF passengers in

Capacity issues is a valid reason for restricting access

There are 3 other OW lounges available to use in T3 - including the BA lounge - I assume that BA was happy to let a BA Gold member travelling on BA into the lounge?

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 22, 2023 at 5:24 pm
Old Sep 22, 2023, 5:19 pm

The capacity limit they were referring to was that of NON QF passengers.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:08 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Edited the thread title for clarity [/mod hat]

I am on the same page as the OP here. I can't find anything in the access rules which would allow an airline to refuse entry to one group of eligible customers while at the very same time admitting other groups of equally eligible customers. And how would they do this? BA Gold flying Qantas economy over a Qantas WP flying BA business? People without kids over people with kids unless the kid is a P1?
delpiero223, Yongie and mnhusker like this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
This is what BA does in all their North American lounges - BA pax only, other OW longhaul J pax get turned away due to "capacity."
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:33 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Some context here: LHR Lounges are very full, BA have been offering 30GBP vouchers to their own pax to reduce capacity in T5 lounges such as GF.

When you’re turning away your own OWE there are clearly capacity issues.

It’s likely QF knew they would be at or close to capacity with their own pax.

Last edited by m0hamed; Sep 22, 2023 at 8:51 pm
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
[mod hat] Edited the thread title for clarity [/mod hat]

I am on the same page as the OP here. I can't find anything in the access rules which would allow an airline to refuse entry to one group of eligible customers while at the very same time admitting other groups of equally eligible customers. And how would they do this? BA Gold flying Qantas economy over a Qantas WP flying BA business? People without kids over people with kids unless the kid is a P1?
It states at https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges "Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result."

Restricting access to the Qantas lounge to those departing on a Qantas flight when the lounge is busy, seems perfectly within reason. The straw man about other possibilities is irrelevent since there is nothing to say that this is the case. If it was to allow it Platinum or Platinum One members in , then so what , there is nothing to suggest that it shouldnt. There are probably not many Platinum members departing LHR T3 on other airlines at that time vs BA memvers departing on other flights
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Yes it is fair. Qantas should reserve the space for its pax first and foremost.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
IMHO, they were doing you a favour.

In my experience CX F and even AA F lounges are far better than the bourgeoisie QF with its limited offering (unless you know the secret handshake of CL/P1).
nivsy, shillard and relaxonbarton like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.