Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to SYD QF vs. AA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2023, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

LAX to SYD QF vs. AA

Just curious to hear from anyone that flies this route. Usually when headed to Australia, I fly Qantas. Traveling on an economy award ticket on Qantas (via Alaska miles) and noticed an award ticket opened up for the day before on American. Getting in a day earlier fits my schedule, and it’s an extra day in Australia. But curious as to how Qantas compares to American on this route. Domestically, American is okay, but my trips to Europe have been okay. Just curious if anyone has flown both.
Thanks for any insight.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
In economy both fly modern planes with IFE, professional crews and some type of meal that is close to a microwave dinner. Qantas will have more Australians and American more Americans and obviously that flavour to the service. But it all about getting the self loading cargo there without fuss. If you want to get there earlier, then I would take whichever fits your schedule. Enjoy a great meal when you get here and the benefit of the exchange rate in your favour.

If price is the same and you want to go a day earlier, I cannot see anything that would make me cut my trip short to fly one over the other. Same would be for any cabin. I can buy a lot, but I cannot buy time.

KF
trooper and Fyfan like this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On AA (with AS status?) can you get a better seat selection - exit row or economy seat with more legroom?
AS status on QF will not get you that. Need to pay $ with QF.
If no or little cost another day in Oz a better out come.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I would never choose a 777 over an A380. The A380 is a much better ride and those AA 777s are longer in the tooth.
Supersonic Swinger likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DLATL777
I would never choose a 777 over an A380. The A380 is a much better ride and those AA 777s are longer in the tooth.
The AA 777W were first delivered in 2012 and QF received its first A380 in 2008. ;-)
trooper, nancypants and shillard like this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 1:55 am

I fly both routinely and would also say take the one that suits your schedule. I agree with the comment about seat selection. Depending what is important, also worth noting that AA has internet (poor and overpriced) whereas QF does not yet. I often mix them on the same ticket.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
The AA 777W were first delivered in 2012 and QF received its first A380 in 2008. ;-)
Sure on delivery date, but QF just refurbished their A380s though (at least most of them), correct? Updates to F, different J, etc.

Last edited by DLATL777; Sep 3, 2023 at 6:40 am
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Sure on delivery date, but QF just refurbished their A380s though (at least most of them), correct? Updates to F, different J, etc.
Yes, in my mind that was a catch up. QF moved in J from 2-2-2 to 1-2-1 the same as AA. While we could probably debate placement of tables and power sockets, end of the day both now offer (unless you get an old 380) lie flat rather than wobbly foot stool. and aisle access.

We are talking about Y, and I really cannot see an objective difference that would have me travel a day later than I would like for an AA plane vs QF in Y - or any cabin. Esp. as it is a night flight!

KF
Old Sep 4, 2023, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks. This was a no-brainer when I sat and thought about it. An extra day in Sydney is always welcome. I booked with AA for a day earlier departure. Thanks for listening.
Koru Flyer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 4:55 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
AA's MCE is much preferred to QF bog standard Y. If I had to fly Y, and I had status, I'd fly AA.
deeruck likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 5:59 am

Punish Qantas. The latest news is they had sold seats on 8,000 previously canceled flights. The ceo Alan Joyce moved up his retirement because of this breaking news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.