Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF127 Cancelled due to Engine Problem [2023-08-27]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2023, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold, HX FWC

QF127 SYD-HKG cancelled just now due to engine failure. New flight departing at 6:45am tmr. Not sure what it is happening right now, they’re saying they’ll arrange accommodation for us. Will update here.

Note: flying as a group, making the situation super complicated.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 4:49 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Sorry to hear. Surprised they didn't sub the equipment given it happened at SYD. Any update?
Old Aug 27, 2023, 5:07 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Sad.

Pro tip, if you have the means never wait for them to arrange accommodation, it’s always a s**tshow. Just go your own way.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
In my experience they tend to repay quickly but limit hotel costs at $200? Which at this time is very difficult to find decent accommodation, esp. as they a
so seem to limit Uber/taxis to around $40. I have no idea what impact status or class of travel has, as I was able to have the difference reimbursed.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Edited thread title to add date [/mod hat]

This was VH-QPH now departing on the 28th.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shillard
Sad.

Pro tip, if you have the means never wait for them to arrange accommodation,
Would not suggest that if part of a group booking unless prepared to pay for the hotel or are the group coordinator- the airline will book the whole group and will have no reason to reimburse another hotel

On an individual booking, then it is a good option
starvelk likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 5:22 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Would not suggest that if part of a group booking unless prepared to pay for the hotel or are the group coordinator- the airline will book the whole group and will have no reason to reimburse another hotel

On an individual booking, then it is a good option
Hence the caveat, “if you have the means…”
Old Aug 28, 2023, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Sorry to hear. Surprised they didn't sub the equipment given it happened at SYD. Any update?
I know right, there are lots of A330s sitting empty at SYD.

Update: we got the accommodation, we stayed at Novotel SYD airport and they sent a bus to pick us back up at 4am.
The flight left at 7:15 am in the end & from the cockpit visit, the second officer said the engine was leaking and they had to fix it.
I just returned to Hong Kong after all that saga, nearly 24 hours late. But being safe better than sorry I guess
Princess fiona likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
In my experience they tend to repay quickly but limit hotel costs at $200? Which at this time is very difficult to find decent accommodation, esp. as they a
so seem to limit Uber/taxis to around $40. I have no idea what impact status or class of travel has, as I was able to have the difference reimbursed.
It took them a while to get accommodation actually, cause the whole flight was filled with Hong Kongers getting back to Hong Kong (hence no locals for them to return home).
They sent us buses instead (our whole group with 1 bus, other passengers with another bus)
Old Aug 28, 2023, 6:10 am
Original Poster

To share more, Qantas delayed the flight by a day. We all had to get through customs and then get our bags. We then proceeded to the check-in areas and waited for sorting out of the hotels. Easier said than done though, as the immigration process was super chaotic for re-entering Australia and there were no staff.

We were separated into 2 hotels (our school group as one, the other passengers in another) and we got back to check-in at designated counters this morning. There was a slight further delay to the departure time, but I'm already happy that they managed to get the flight out. (I guess the 4% on-time rate for QF128 is real and this is defo their worst delay in history)

When we had to rescan our cabin bags today though, Qantas didn't remind us that some of the items we bought from duty-free are forbidden to be in our hand-carry luggage. My group co-ordinator got her expensive Manuka honey and an entire jar of vegemite thrown out by the security staff.

I think Qantas didn't do too terrible of a job when handling this delay imo, just that it was pretty messy.

Btw, QF128 for 28/8 (today) is delayed for 2.5 hours again as of right now Qantas really needs to get their on-time rates up since I'm never taking them again until they become more reliable!
Old Aug 28, 2023, 6:21 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by starvelk
(I guess the 4% on-time rate for QF128 is real and this is defo their worst delay in history)
Post pandemic, 24 hour delays on the A388s have not been uncommon as only one needs to go Mx to throw the whole schedule out.
shillard likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Post pandemic, 24 hour delays on the A388s have not been uncommon as only one needs to go Mx to throw the whole schedule out.
Ah 🥲guess Qantas is really having trouble with planes then...
Old Aug 28, 2023, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by starvelk
Ah 🥲guess Qantas is really having trouble with planes then...
I would say no more than previously. Just with less planes, less crew, etc things snowball faster and more obvious.

And after all the aviation restart issues the media is much faster to report on the issue.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Did you happen to hear whether people travelling beyond HKG were re-accommodated on other flights departing the 27th or were they, too, on the rescheduled 127?

Regards,

BD
Old Aug 31, 2023, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nzkarit
I would say no more than previously. Just with less planes, less crew, etc things snowball faster and more obvious.
And after all the aviation restart issues the media is much faster to report on the issue.
If you are not in Australia, you may have missed that QF is allegedly not being totally transparent with cancelled flights. QF have had a curiously but deserved difficult week...

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...31-p5e100.html
SNA_Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.