Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Wet Leasing AY A330’s with the new J seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF Wet Leasing AY A330’s with the new J seats

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: QF P1 LTG SQ PPS IHG Diamond Elite
Overall a great seat
However, there is a metal rod in the footwell which can make some seats difficult to sleep in especially if you are not a side sleeper
Be careful with your seat selection
Old May 21, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
So now QF flyers will realise what they have been sadly missing out on - better seats, better service, heard that food will unfortunately remain the same as the QF standard.

<snip>

KF
As I've outlined elsewhere, I'm one of that small minority who doesn't really rate the AirLounge product. Sure, lie-flat is spacious but I've had interesting results with the "sleep belt" whereby it either doesn't work (which surely renders the seat u/s in this mode) or it is very restrictive across the hips. As one who sleeps lightly on planes, this is enough to render this a 3/10 in sleep-mode. However, the biggest issue I would find with this seat would the the daytime SYD-SIN when I would be wishing to recline and take in a couple of movies .... no recline!! You're either bolt-upright or you are lay-flat. Sure, AY supposedly provide large cushions to enable you to use this seat like a home lounge - personally I've found this to be very mixed in reality and the AY forum suggests that the larger memory foam cushions were removed from service for a while, certainly not visible on my last two AY A350 sectors with AY last September/October.

Secondly, my understanding is that AY will providing crew from their SIN base. Personally, I prefer the Finnish-based crew finding their SIN colleagues far less engaging. I understand the vagaries for QF crew performance however those expecting "better service" compared with some of the better performing QF crews are - in my opinion - likely to be disappointed.

Regards,

BD
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the insights, I as well have been curious on how it is for a day flight.
BD1959 likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
This old chestnut!

I'm fine to live with the middle seat free when I am routinely paying under A$400 return for a DUB-LHR-DUB in Club Europe, with my proper three course meal. The seat is not worth A$1,400 extra for a flight of 90 minutes block time, but that's exactly what Qantas charge and then provide a weaker food offering.

The lack of competition in Australia makes it this way, unfortunately (though, that being said, BA has no competition on DUB-LHR-DUB either when it comes to a J cabin).
Yeah, the arguement that will never die

BA does have quite a lot of competition though on their other Euro routes, thus the better meal services across the board for consistency sake. However all of their competition, save a few widebodies doing local turns, use the same economy cabin configuration for "business" class. But to your point, LHR-DUB isn't so bad. But LHR-CAI... Come on!

Arguably, like the US, flights can be much longer in Australia, warranting a more comfortable J product.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 4:09 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Yeah, the arguement that will never die

BA does have quite a lot of competition though on their other Euro routes, thus the better meal services across the board for consistency sake. However all of their competition, save a few widebodies doing local turns, use the same economy cabin configuration for "business" class. But to your point, LHR-DUB isn't so bad. But LHR-CAI... Come on!
The pedant in me wants to point out that LHR-CAI isn't a Euro-J flight (though BA obviously beg to differ) but an AFRI-J route ...

Regards,

BD
Old May 11, 2024, 1:18 pm

QF292 SIN-SYD flown by AY ??

On the map of FR24 I saw an A330 flying from SIN to SYD. But it is an AY airframe and appears to be every day. And does not originate from HEL, the home hub of AY.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qf292

Does QF have not enough aircrafts ?
Old May 11, 2024, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

It is a wet lease iirc

More details here

QF Wet Leasing AY A330’s with the new J seats - FlyerTalk Forums

Regards

TBS
Old May 11, 2024, 7:06 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
In answer to your question, yes.
Koru Flyer likes this.
Old May 12, 2024, 12:20 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

It is a wet lease iirc

More details here

QF Wet Leasing AY A330’s with the new J seats - FlyerTalk Forums

Regards

TBS
[mod hat] Indeed, merging with this thread. [/mod hat]
Old May 21, 2024, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, QR Burgundy, A3 Blue, ALL Silver, Avis Preferred
I flew on Feb 9 SYD-SIN for Chinese New Year. I booked this on a BA ticket just to really make it amusing.

There was a somewhat hilarious moment where a passenger at the gate had a major freakout because they didn't see a Qantas aircraft and refused to board because it was a Finnair plane. Not sure if their objections were overcome, but it seemed like a fairly extreme response. The flight was delayed and a no-show was offloaded, but unsure if it was this particular pax.

My experience aboard Qantas, Spirit of Fingapore was great overall. The Finnair crew were quite friendly, and it was interesting to have the QF catering and blankets and pillows on an AY aircraft as per the pics below.

Note the Qantas can being loaded onto the aircraft.

Qantas cutlery with Finnair safety card.

Self explanatory.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:57 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Mr Enthused
I flew on Feb 9 SYD-SIN for Chinese New Year. I booked this on a BA ticket just to really make it amusing.

There was a somewhat hilarious moment where a passenger at the gate had a major freakout because they didn't see a Qantas aircraft and refused to board because it was a Finnair plane. Not sure if their objections were overcome, but it seemed like a fairly extreme response. The flight was delayed and a no-show was offloaded, but unsure if it was this particular pax.

My experience aboard Qantas, Spirit of Fingapore was great overall. The Finnair crew were quite friendly, and it was interesting to have the QF catering and blankets and pillows on an AY aircraft as per the pics below.

Note the Qantas can being loaded onto the aircraft.

Qantas cutlery with Finnair safety card.

Self explanatory.
QF have given out those “pizza in a box” things on MEL-SYD domestics but without cutlery. Almost impossible to get out of the box with fingers and difficult to eat after that. A single paper serviette failed to clean up the greasy mess afterwards.
Mr Enthused likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 10:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
8 hours and all you got was a slice of pizza?
(I hope it was the second meal?)
Old May 22, 2024, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
8 hours and all you got was a slice of pizza?
(I hope it was the second meal?)
Aye, it was the 2nd meal, I had the beef stew for the first meal, and while it was tasty, it didn't show much to reveal the QF-ness with the AY-ness.

Image attached anyway!

Old May 22, 2024, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by og
QF have given out those “pizza in a box” things on MEL-SYD domestics but without cutlery. Almost impossible to get out of the box with fingers and difficult to eat after that. A single paper serviette failed to clean up the greasy mess afterwards.
LOL! I had a similar "now what????" moment, and decided that I would creatively tear the box open so I could at least get a photo and make it somehow look photogenic. Was tasty though!

Old May 22, 2024, 6:49 pm

Thanks. The beef stew looked somewhat unfortunate….
Mr Enthused likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.