Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF Wet Leasing AY A330s with the new J seats

QF Wet Leasing AY A330s with the new J seats

Old May 21, 2023, 11:35 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PERTH
Programs: QF P1 LTG SQ PPS IHG Diamond Elite
Posts: 235
Overall a great seat
However, there is a metal rod in the footwell which can make some seats difficult to sleep in especially if you are not a side sleeper
Be careful with your seat selection
ianassum is offline  
Old May 21, 2023, 7:49 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: mostly MEL
Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Posts: 1,750
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
So now QF flyers will realise what they have been sadly missing out on - better seats, better service, heard that food will unfortunately remain the same as the QF standard.

<snip>

KF
As I've outlined elsewhere, I'm one of that small minority who doesn't really rate the AirLounge product. Sure, lie-flat is spacious but I've had interesting results with the "sleep belt" whereby it either doesn't work (which surely renders the seat u/s in this mode) or it is very restrictive across the hips. As one who sleeps lightly on planes, this is enough to render this a 3/10 in sleep-mode. However, the biggest issue I would find with this seat would the the daytime SYD-SIN when I would be wishing to recline and take in a couple of movies .... no recline!! You're either bolt-upright or you are lay-flat. Sure, AY supposedly provide large cushions to enable you to use this seat like a home lounge - personally I've found this to be very mixed in reality and the AY forum suggests that the larger memory foam cushions were removed from service for a while, certainly not visible on my last two AY A350 sectors with AY last September/October.

Secondly, my understanding is that AY will providing crew from their SIN base. Personally, I prefer the Finnish-based crew finding their SIN colleagues far less engaging. I understand the vagaries for QF crew performance however those expecting "better service" compared with some of the better performing QF crews are - in my opinion - likely to be disappointed.

Regards,

BD
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
BD1959 is offline  
Old May 21, 2023, 9:06 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: SYD, GOT
Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,798
Thanks for the insights, I as well have been curious on how it is for a day flight.
BD1959 likes this.
Koru Flyer is offline  
Old May 23, 2023, 12:11 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Posts: 3,538
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
This old chestnut!

I'm fine to live with the middle seat free when I am routinely paying under A$400 return for a DUB-LHR-DUB in Club Europe, with my proper three course meal. The seat is not worth A$1,400 extra for a flight of 90 minutes block time, but that's exactly what Qantas charge and then provide a weaker food offering.

The lack of competition in Australia makes it this way, unfortunately (though, that being said, BA has no competition on DUB-LHR-DUB either when it comes to a J cabin).
Yeah, the arguement that will never die

BA does have quite a lot of competition though on their other Euro routes, thus the better meal services across the board for consistency sake. However all of their competition, save a few widebodies doing local turns, use the same economy cabin configuration for "business" class. But to your point, LHR-DUB isn't so bad. But LHR-CAI... Come on!

Arguably, like the US, flights can be much longer in Australia, warranting a more comfortable J product.
FlightDetective likes this.
SNA_Flyer is offline  
Old May 23, 2023, 4:09 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: mostly MEL
Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Posts: 1,750
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Yeah, the arguement that will never die

BA does have quite a lot of competition though on their other Euro routes, thus the better meal services across the board for consistency sake. However all of their competition, save a few widebodies doing local turns, use the same economy cabin configuration for "business" class. But to your point, LHR-DUB isn't so bad. But LHR-CAI... Come on!
The pedant in me wants to point out that LHR-CAI isn't a Euro-J flight (though BA obviously beg to differ) but an AFRI-J route ...

Regards,

BD
BD1959 is offline  
Old May 11, 2024, 1:18 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 553
QF292 SIN-SYD flown by AY ??

On the map of FR24 I saw an A330 flying from SIN to SYD. But it is an AY airframe and appears to be every day. And does not originate from HEL, the home hub of AY.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qf292

Does QF have not enough aircrafts ?
airsurfer is offline  
Old May 11, 2024, 2:19 pm
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 18,117
Hi,

It is a wet lease iirc

More details here

QF Wet Leasing AY A330’s with the new J seats - FlyerTalk Forums

Regards

TBS
The _Banking_Scot is online now  
Old May 11, 2024, 7:06 pm
  #23  
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Posts: 13,544
In answer to your question, yes.
Koru Flyer likes this.
og is offline  
Old May 12, 2024, 12:20 am
  #24  
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STR/SYD/SMF
Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 14,412
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

It is a wet lease iirc

More details here

QF Wet Leasing AY A330s with the new J seats - FlyerTalk Forums

Regards

TBS
[mod hat] Indeed, merging with this thread. [/mod hat]
DownUnderFlyer is offline  
Old May 21, 2024, 3:06 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: SYD
Programs: BA Bronze, QR Burgundy, A3 Blue, ALL Silver, Avis Preferred
Posts: 55
I flew on Feb 9 SYD-SIN for Chinese New Year. I booked this on a BA ticket just to really make it amusing.

There was a somewhat hilarious moment where a passenger at the gate had a major freakout because they didn't see a Qantas aircraft and refused to board because it was a Finnair plane. Not sure if their objections were overcome, but it seemed like a fairly extreme response. The flight was delayed and a no-show was offloaded, but unsure if it was this particular pax.

My experience aboard Qantas, Spirit of Fingapore was great overall. The Finnair crew were quite friendly, and it was interesting to have the QF catering and blankets and pillows on an AY aircraft as per the pics below.


Note the Qantas can being loaded onto the aircraft.

Qantas cutlery with Finnair safety card.

Self explanatory.
Mr Enthused is offline  
Old May 21, 2024, 4:57 pm
  #26  
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Posts: 13,544
Originally Posted by Mr Enthused
I flew on Feb 9 SYD-SIN for Chinese New Year. I booked this on a BA ticket just to really make it amusing.

There was a somewhat hilarious moment where a passenger at the gate had a major freakout because they didn't see a Qantas aircraft and refused to board because it was a Finnair plane. Not sure if their objections were overcome, but it seemed like a fairly extreme response. The flight was delayed and a no-show was offloaded, but unsure if it was this particular pax.

My experience aboard Qantas, Spirit of Fingapore was great overall. The Finnair crew were quite friendly, and it was interesting to have the QF catering and blankets and pillows on an AY aircraft as per the pics below.


Note the Qantas can being loaded onto the aircraft.

Qantas cutlery with Finnair safety card.

Self explanatory.
QF have given out those pizza in a box things on MEL-SYD domestics but without cutlery. Almost impossible to get out of the box with fingers and difficult to eat after that. A single paper serviette failed to clean up the greasy mess afterwards.
Mr Enthused likes this.
og is offline  
Old May 21, 2024, 10:23 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: SYD, GOT
Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,798
8 hours and all you got was a slice of pizza?
(I hope it was the second meal?)
Koru Flyer is offline  
Old May 22, 2024, 8:37 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: SYD
Programs: BA Bronze, QR Burgundy, A3 Blue, ALL Silver, Avis Preferred
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
8 hours and all you got was a slice of pizza?
(I hope it was the second meal?)
Aye, it was the 2nd meal, I had the beef stew for the first meal, and while it was tasty, it didn't show much to reveal the QF-ness with the AY-ness.

Image attached anyway!

Mr Enthused is offline  
Old May 22, 2024, 8:40 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: SYD
Programs: BA Bronze, QR Burgundy, A3 Blue, ALL Silver, Avis Preferred
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by og
QF have given out those pizza in a box things on MEL-SYD domestics but without cutlery. Almost impossible to get out of the box with fingers and difficult to eat after that. A single paper serviette failed to clean up the greasy mess afterwards.
LOL! I had a similar "now what????" moment, and decided that I would creatively tear the box open so I could at least get a photo and make it somehow look photogenic. Was tasty though!

Mr Enthused is offline  
Old May 22, 2024, 6:49 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: SYD, GOT
Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,798
Thanks. The beef stew looked somewhat unfortunate….
Mr Enthused likes this.
Koru Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.