Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Purchasing Int'l QF ticket on QF metal through AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2023, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite

It is $27 USD less expensive to purchase a QF Int'l ticket on QF medal through AA, instead of purchasing directly through QF. What are the pros and cons of buying a ticket through AA or QF.
Old May 17, 2023, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The pro is that it is $27 cheaper
The fare rules may be different - so penalties for chamges or cancellations may be different - check to see what the differences are and that may be a pro or a con or neutral
If there is a disruption to the service, then having to deal with AA in regards to a QF issue is likely to be more hassle than dealing directly with QF - but conversely if there is an issue, it may be able to just rebook onto an AA flight - likely benefit to booking on Qantas directly
FF earnings may vary - depending on what scheme you wish to credit to, check the earnings on the 2 options and see which is better

If all else is equal, I would not book on a codeshare since typically it is easier to deal with problems when you can deal directly with the affected carrier
Old May 17, 2023, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If there is a disruption to the service, then having to deal with AA in regards to a QF issue is likely to be more hassle than dealing directly with QF - but conversely if there is an issue, it may be able to just rebook onto an AA flight - likely benefit to booking on Qantas directly
This is a major con in my experience. Even in J or F and with OneWorld Emerald status, I find that QF has significant issues (or doesn't care about) dealing with codeshare passengers. I had several issues with trips last year that involved TPAC QF flights that were booked as codeshares. QF also told me on multiple occasions that there is something about their systems that don't sync with AA tickets. I almost missed a flight because three people at the F check-in desk in SYD couldn't figure out how to check me in for more than an hour. And when it comes to irrops you can't get through because QF doesn't have dedicated lines for premium passengers so if you're not a QF elite you just wait for them to rebook you when they get around to it...
Old May 17, 2023, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To be fair, I am not aware of AA having dedicated lines for passengers in premium cabins either - I would agree though - this is the main reason , with any airline, why I would always choose the operating carrier's flight number in preference to the codeshare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.