Wiki Posts
Search

CHC Same Aircraft Turnaround

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2023, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

CHC Same Aircraft Turnaround

Hi All,

Not sure familiar with connecting at CHC - trying to maximise SC during the current promotion. Thinking of booking MEL-CHC-BNE-MEL as its a same aircraft running MEL-CHC-BNE, but obviously with only 60min connection, QF will not sell me a single ticket, so will need to book separate tickets.

1) is there an international connection transit flow so I can avoid entering NZ?
2) Would QF in MEL issue my CHC-BNE-MEL BP in MEL?

Cheers!
Old Mar 24, 2023, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by globalwanderer84
Not sure familiar with connecting at CHC - trying to maximise SC during the current promotion. Thinking of booking MEL-CHC-BNE-MEL as its a same aircraft running MEL-CHC-BNE, but obviously with only 60min connection, QF will not sell me a single ticket, so will need to book separate tickets.

1) is there an international connection transit flow so I can avoid entering NZ?
2) Would QF in MEL issue my CHC-BNE-MEL BP in MEL?
CHC is my home airport. [As is MEL for other times] For the DSC offer also looked at the CHC-BNE-MEL flights, but did not book.

Would expect very few people to do international to international CHC transfers.
Link--> https://www.christchurchairport.co.nz/
Link-->https://www.christchurchairport.co.n...t-connections/ [ I to I not listed ]

Are you 110% sure its the same aircraft? The usually NZ based crew tend to do NZ-AU-NZ [QF NZ Jetconnect crew cheaper then AU crew]

CHC does not have transit door/security flow like at AKL, SYD, MEL. Exiting the jet bridge have not noticed a "transit" sign, but no idea what it really points to. Certainly no transit security. On a single ticket they may have staff expecting some pax, and then direct them to some corridor/door.

With a NZ to AU ticket the airline (in NZ) needs to physically check you are admissible to AU. Can't see that being done in AU on separate tickets. Your risk.

For NZ, depending on your passport, may need a NZeTA even if doing an airside transit.
FT thread--> NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand

With carry on and using the e-gate kiosk can be air side in a reasonable time. Then to the right to QF check in desks (~2 minute walk). Up 1 level to international departure security & egate emigration controls. International departure security can be slow:- 1 or sometimes 2 lines/machines. Look at what other flights are departing about the same time.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 24, 2023 at 4:37 pm
Old Mar 24, 2023, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
CHC is my home airport. [As is MEL for other times] For the DSC offer also looked at the CHC-BNE-MEL flights, but did not book.

Are you 110% sure its the same aircraft? The usually NZ based crew tend to do NZ-AU-NZ [QF NZ Jetconnect crew cheaper then AU crew

With a NZ to AU ticket the airline (in NZ) needs to physically check you are admissible to AU. Can't see that being done in AU on separate tickets. Your risk.

For NZ, depending on your passport, may need a NZeTA even if doing an airside transit.
FT thread--> NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand

With carry on and using the e-gate kiosk can be air side in a reasonable time. Then to the right to QF check in desks (~2 minute walk). Up 1 level to international departure security & egate emigration controls. International departure security can be slow:- 1 or sometimes 2 lines/machines. Look at what other flights are departing about the same time.
Thanks for the response - I can never be 100% sure, but using FR24, thats the rotation the aircraft follows. Most likely different crew though, like you said.

Appreciate the guidance about your home airport. I've only travelled domestically from CHC, so that info is very helpful. AU citizen here, so no need to NZeta (I believe), and I thought that might be the case that I need to have my confirmation that I can travel AU done in NZ.

I like to live dangerously, a small airport should be doable. Worst case I travel the next day!
Old Mar 24, 2023, 5:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
While in theory it could be done it is risky.

Need to be able to olci otherwise won't make it to checkin at chc before it closes. Sometimes olci is not available for trans-tasman.

Need to have few other flights arriving or departing at the same time to quickly get through immigration, customs and security.

Need to not be pulled up for questioning by immigration or customs.

Your worst case of flying next day assumes daily flights and they aren't completely full. Neither of which may be true.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Your worst case of flying next day assumes daily flights and they aren't completely full. Neither of which may be true.
TT is kinda full at the moment. I would not assume that you would be able to get a flight the next day unless you have already booked a fully refundable ticket.
Kiwi Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
TT is kinda full at the moment. I would not assume that you would be able to get a flight the next day unless you have already booked a fully refundable ticket.
Good point!

I think I have found another option over AKL in Jan '24 now for the same price but with a 3hr connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.