Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF to reopen HKG lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

QF to reopen HKG lounge

Just a quick heads-up on the rather unexpected but (well, to some no doubt) welcome news that Qantas is reopening its “permanently-closed" Hong Kong lounge.
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ng-kong-lounge
Old Feb 13, 2023, 1:11 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
thats a welcome change and wonder how much hk govt paid in background to give the perception of "china is open ans good" to recruit qantas back. Also AU trade minister meeting chinese counterpart for first time, feels a lot of powerplay in background.

especially considering only SYD flights on radar they must have a lot of OW contracting to make it worthwhile.

as an Emerald i used to go to CX Wing F but depending on how they revamp it, I would find it interesting
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 1:15 am

Great news! This is one of my favorite lounges because after a sting in SE Asia, I just need a slab of grilled meat, and these guys ever disappoint. Also, for whatever reason, they tend to have some really good desserts too.

I like to eat here and relax at the Pier F, which I assume is now open.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
I like to eat here and relax at the Pier F, which I assume is now open.
The Pier F remains closed for now, but not for too long...
og and Visconti like this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 1:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Just a quick heads-up on the rather unexpected but (well, to some no doubt) welcome news that Qantas is reopening its “permanently-closed" Hong Kong lounge.
surely that means that Qantas is opening a new lounge - or does it mean trhat the company needs to investy in a dictionary
Old Feb 13, 2023, 1:35 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I just wonder if QF is reconsidering flying HKG to UK and various Euro cities. May be on the agenda since it’s typically 800 miles shorter than using SIN. May work better for payload/ range optimisations.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
surely that means that Qantas is opening a new lounge - or does it mean trhat the company needs to investy in a dictionary
Although it's also the old lounge and in the same space... so maybe "HKG Lounge 2: Electric Boogaloo" ?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 2:54 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Wow. Thanks David. Good news, if random.

This can definitely be filed under ‘most unexpected airline news of the month’..!
Old Feb 13, 2023, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by fakecd
thats a welcome change and wonder how much hk govt paid in background to give the perception of "china is open ans good" to recruit qantas back. Also AU trade minister meeting chinese counterpart for first time, feels a lot of powerplay in background.

especially considering only SYD flights on radar they must have a lot of OW contracting to make it worthwhile.

as an Emerald i used to go to CX Wing F but depending on how they revamp it, I would find it interesting
I rather go to Wing F if it's as good as pre-COVID. I honestly think QF is overrated. I was there in early 2020 and I wasn't impressed. I think AMEX CL had better food than QF.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Traveling through HKG mid Sept and late Sept 2023… really hope it’s open by then as it looks great!
Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Will be open in the next few months,. but as to how it looks, let's wait and see. It's getting a refresh / redesign of sorts.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:52 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
A HK blogger (MrMiles) captured the recent as-is:

Will be open in the next few months,. but as to how it looks, let's wait and see. It's getting a refresh / redesign of sorts.
Official announcement still pending?
Old Feb 15, 2023, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
I was in HKG last week but he snapped better shots than I could.. and yes, you can see how the basics are still in place (walls, podium, light fixtures) - I believe the furniture was all shipped back to AU for use here, so will be interesting to see what the 'refresh' looks like.

Yes, Wednesday's event was postponed but I'd suggest we won't have to wait long now for this to be made official.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by djsflynn; Feb 16, 2023 at 1:21 am
Old Feb 16, 2023, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I was in HKG last week but he snapped better shorts than I could.. but yes, you can see how the basics are still in place (walls, podium, light fixtures) - I believe the furniture was all shipped back to AU for use here, so will be interesting to see what the 'refresh' looks like.

Yes, Wednesday's event was postponed but I'd suggest we won't have to wait long now for this to be made official.
No wonder as I haven't seen any official announcements and none of the US blogs covered it.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
No wonder as I haven't seen any official announcements and none of the US blogs covered it.
And now it's not only official, but we know the opening timeframe – it's April.

Princess fiona likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.