Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF meal option now to be enhanced to nil choice on shorter domestics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold

Looks.like QF will now not offer meal selection on flights under 3.5 hours. Not fully sure how they market this but no doubt will.come up with some magical way to say it's in the interests of the pax! Not sure when it comes into force.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:41 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by nivsy
Looks.like QF will now not offer meal selection on flights under 3.5 hours. Not fully sure how they market this but no doubt will.come up with some magical way to say it's in the interests of the pax! Not sure when it comes into force.
In Y for SYD-MEL-SYD, I cannot recall the last time there was a meal selection. The only choice being what was offered or not having it at all. The choice was red or white wine, beer or softies.
Princess fiona likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
There will be a Sydney University study proving it's better this way
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
There will be a Sydney University study proving it's better this way
Bet though we will see sometime on this forum "then the CC member said...sorry your choice of meal is no longer available..oh wait a minute no can't use that one.actually .we did not load appropriate amount" then with grease lightening run off to be secure behind the curtain!🫣🤪
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by og
In Y for SYD-MEL-SYD, I cannot recall the last time there was a meal selection. The only choice being what was offered or not having it at all. The choice was red or white wine, beer or softies.
yes indeed. Another viral tweet by someone who isn’t really a frequent flyer picked up by lazy journalists and made into news.

Can’t recall the last time I was offered anything substantial in Y never mind a choice.
Even Domestic J is a sad relic of what was served in Y back in the noughties.
og, m0hamed and Cedar Jet like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

From an article in The Australian, it seems that the change is to remove special meal selection on short domestic flights ; long domestric plus international still have the choices

Doesn't seem that strange a change to me. The other change, which is one I really don't agree with, is extending the times when it serves free alcohol
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:42 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Lazy news outlets reporting on VA’s Tweet

Except, they fail to mention it’s only BOB

What’s ironic is that whatever food they do offer on BOB is likely Halal certified from cookies to chips to hot items except Pork and items with gelatine.
Princess fiona likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:36 pm

According to article in the australian, Qantas is reversing the no vegetarian option change. Does seem strange approach since surely it could simply offer a single offering that is vegetarian anyway.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
From an article in The Australian, it seems that the change is to remove special meal selection on short domestic flights ; long domestric plus international still have the choices

Doesn't seem that strange a change to me. The other change, which is one I really don't agree with, is extending the times when it serves free alcohol
Why dont you agree with extending the time of the alcohol provision?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

According to article in the australian, Qantas is reversing the no vegetarian option change. Does seem strange approach since surely it could simply offer a single offering that is vegetarian anyway.
Another PR mitigation exercise then. No, why should any single offering be vegetarian? Penalise others...now that's not very democratic I would suggest!
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:13 pm

Why dont you agree with extending the time of the alcohol provision?
Because I do not see any reason to be promoting alcohol

Another PR mitigation exercise then. No, why should any single offering be vegetarian? Penalise others...now that's not very democratic I would suggest!
Why does democracy need to come into it? if done correctly, should be able to address several dietary considerations with the one offerig. May not be able to handle all, but should be able to address most requirements; there is no need for there to be meat & gluten in the offering
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Because I do not see any reason to be promoting alcohol

Why does democracy need to come into it? if done correctly, should be able to address several dietary considerations with the one offerig. May not be able to handle all, but should be able to address most requirements; there is no need for there to be meat & gluten in the offering
You had suggested one veg option for everyone David. Also it's not promoting alcohol...you don't have to drink it. Everyone can make up their own minds. Personally I think the noon (now you can drink) in the Qantas lounges is laughable. Looking forward to my champers at Heathrow at 6am.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:41 pm

You had suggested one veg option for everyone David. Also it's not promoting alcohol...you don't have to drink it. Everyone can make up their own minds. Personally I think the noon (now you can drink) in the Qantas lounges is laughable. Looking forward to my champers at Heathrow at 6am.
Why not a vegetarian option to serve all on flights on < 3.5 hours duration. Why not also that this be something that is free of gluten as well? may not to able to address every concern, but there is no reason that there needs to be a meat offering

Qamtas's offerings in lounges and on board seem to be focussed on the binge drinkers with little thought of decent offerings for non alcoholic drinks - post mix machines hardly impressive.

The refernece to champagne drinking at 6am - esp with the term 'champers' really sums it up
Cedar Jet likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Why not a vegetarian option to serve all on flights on < 3.5 hours duration. Why not also that this be something that is free of gluten as well? may not to able to address every concern, but there is no reason that there needs to be a meat offering

Qamtas's offerings in lounges and on board seem to be focussed on the binge drinkers with little thought of decent offerings for non alcoholic drinks - post mix machines hardly impressive.

The refernece to champagne drinking at 6am - esp with the term 'champers' really sums it up
Cheers David...."champers"...lovely..and it's morning!!
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:02 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Not everyone’s body clock is stuck on that at Sydney. Someone may well be transferring at SYD T1 in the morning and be ready for a nice champagne aided snooze knowing their body clock is saying “it’s now sleep time”.
nivsy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.