Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry On Allowances

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Carry On Allowances

I have a domestic connecting flight followed by an international flight all on the one ticket with Qantas.

The carry on allowance is much higher on a domestic flight (2 x bags total of 14kg max weight of 1 bag 10kg) than an international flight (1x bag total of 7kg).

I'm wanting to avoid checking a bag due to the current issues with checked baggage world wide - but there'll be no way in hell that I can keep within the international restrictions - but will be able to keep within the domestic limit. Wanting to bring a 40L backpack ~9-10kg (fits in the overhead) and a 20L daypack ~4-5kg (fits under the seat)

Does the higher limit apply to both flights because it's on the one ticket? Will they actually check?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No - carry o allowance for international flight will be the international allowance

The agents may check - if they do, you would be in a worse position

If you keep a couple of days of clothes in carry on , then if there is an issue with baggage delivery, then just go purchase items and claim off of insurance or against airline to no more than limit of Montreal Convention
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kcupp95
I'm wanting to avoid checking a bag due to the current issues with checked baggage world wide - but there'll be no way in hell that I can keep within the international restrictions -
What global baggage contagion are you referring to?

I have recently flown AKL-LAX-IAD-LAX-AKL, and AKL-SYD-BNE-TSV with checked bags and no issues. Indeed, I haven’t heard of a checked baggage issue from any friends/colleagues.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

I have recently flown AKL-LAX-IAD-LAX-AKL, and AKL-SYD-BNE-TSV with checked bags and no issues. Indeed, I haven’t heard of a checked baggage issue from any friends/colleagues.
I did SYD-LAX / LAX-ORD / ORD-LHR / LHR-AMS / AMS--SYD and bags were on carousel by the time I got to it at all of LAX , ORD and AMS. I had to wait at LHR since I didn't realise that Pelican cases would be delivered to a special reclaim at LHR - once I found that out I had the bags straight away - Cannot see any reason to worry about baggage delivery
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:58 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Baggage issues are amplified by poor quality journalists amplifying isolated instances of baggage problems. Yes, there are problems from time to time, but it’s not the normal situation - otherwise airports would be full of lost/ undelivered/ misdirected bags. But, I’m doing carry on bags for the time being (but I travel light).
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
The one where multiple airports are short staffed with high amounts of travel currently causing checked baggage delays especially with connecting flights and rescheduled flights. Multiple friends and acquaintances are travelling across the USA and Europe at the moment and all are reporting issues. General advice online is to not check a bag at the moment especially with connecting flights.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you keep a couple of days of clothes in carry on , then if there is an issue with baggage delivery, then just go purchase items and claim off of insurance or against airline to no more than limit of Montreal Convention
Not something I'm overly interested in - it's unlikely I'd be able to find adequate replacement items at the my destination and will be on the move constantly making it difficult for delayed baggage to be delivered.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I had no issues lugging a backpack, rollie, and duffle bag on this mornings SYD-MEL. I was coming from a tight INTL connection if that is any excuse for being knowingly over the piece and weight limits. And would have missed the flight if I had to wait for bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.