Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Sydney / SYD Qantas First Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2023, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at SYD T1 just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight.
  2. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight.
  3. Passengers on an itinerary which includes First Class travel on a oneworld marketed and operated flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from a domestic oneworld Marketed and Operated flight or an international short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight.
  4. Emirates or Qantas Platinum departing on a Qantas or Emirates Marketed and Operated flight not travelling to North America.
  5. Qantas Platinum departing on a Qantas Marketed flight or a Jetstar Flight.
§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day.

Print Wikipost

Sydney / SYD Qantas First Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:34 pm

From posts on the first page of this thread, it sounds like if flying QF F from LAX to SYD and then connecting to AKL on a separate ticket I will be allowed into the QF SYD F lounge. I haven't bought the connecting ticket to New Zealand yet - should I choose a OW carrier just to be safe? And if so does cabin class matter on that ticket? Or am I good to go just by arriving on a QF F ticket?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rapishorrid
From posts on the first page of this thread, it sounds like if flying QF F from LAX to SYD and then connecting to AKL on a separate ticket I will be allowed into the QF SYD F lounge. I haven't bought the connecting ticket to New Zealand yet - should I choose a OW carrier just to be safe? And if so does cabin class matter on that ticket? Or am I good to go just by arriving on a QF F ticket?
If you book a non-OW carrier, you will not be entitled to access
Class of service on an OW carrier doesn't matter
Princess fiona likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you book a non-OW carrier, you will not be entitled to access
Class of service on an OW carrier doesn't matter
Thanks. I'll book QF to New Zealand then. Looking forward to experiencing LAX and SYD F lounges in the same direction of travel.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 9:11 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by rapishorrid
I’m no expert but I’ve been flying in out of Sydney for over 25 years.
If not an Emerald in One World 🌎 I would think there might be a concern on a separately booked ticket
Also there is only business class to New Zealand so if they look at that alone it doesn’t qualify
The only chance then if they allow it would be as a First Class arrival for lounge access
Any experts out there?
Otherwise call the lounge directly to be sure.I know in the past I could set up a massage in the past by calling etc
Again ignore all my thoughts if emerald as a connecting ticket internationally even in coach gets you in
Cheers
Old Mar 4, 2023, 10:05 pm

An Emerald member departing on a OW flight in any cabin will get access regardless - connecting or orginating in Sydney
For a non Emerald member : With a connection from a 1st class OW flight to a shorthaul OW flight ( 5 hours or shorter ) in any cabin will be entitled to access the 1st class lounge

With separate tickets, I believe that Qantas still gives access as if it was a through ticket
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
An Emerald member departing on a OW flight in any cabin will get access regardless - connecting or orginating in Sydney
For a non Emerald member : With a connection from a 1st class OW flight to a shorthaul OW flight ( 5 hours or shorter ) in any cabin will be entitled to access the 1st class lounge

With separate tickets, I believe that Qantas still gives access as if it was a through ticket
If anyone tests the water it would be great to hear if separate tickets work without emerald status
Thanks
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:24 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have found in the grey areas, that being positive, such as turning up and saying, "arriving on F from LAX and connecting to AKL" and showing both BPs with the F one on top is enough. When it is QF cost centre I find them relatively flexible. When the cost centre is another airline, then it goes by the book.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
If anyone tests the water it would be great to hear if separate tickets work without emerald status
Thanks
I have seen anecdotes regarding such access involving separate tickets for over a decade. Generally they indicate success. As Koru Flyer posted, confidently fronting up with both boarding passes is the way to go.

To be clear, there are no caveats on the published oneworld lounge access page regarding any requirement for travel to be the same booking. There verbiage is specifically:
  • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
Some have even successfully used this rule in relation to obtaining lounge access prior to taking a short haul flight in economy which is connecting to a longhaul flight in business/first class based on the "Vice-Versa". (Otherwise the 'vice-versa' would seem to be be superfluous.)
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:09 pm

Suppose my skepticism is in other countries having been denied FC lounge access traveling in First initially on separate tickets and connecting in Business Class
I do know Qantas has been really good to me as a passenger most things considered.Even checking a bag through to my final destination on AA
Something AA would have refused in the reverse situation
Old Mar 17, 2023, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Flying AA F next month SYD-LAX.. Couple of questions.. What time does the spa open & can I book a treatment in advance? The flight is so early with the time change now so 915am not 115am so wasnt sure on the spa. Larger comment/curiosity... how come QF web site doesnt say anywhere that a OW F can access their F lounges? All the rules for allowing access are either for status or if you are on QF or EK or even Jetstar. Maybe I missed it but I dont see where it says any OW F can access. I cant speak for SYD having never been but I had a hec of time in the past with agents at LAX and remember when reaching out to discuss with QF they said its a QF lounge not a OW lounge. Really hoping to check this lounge out and get the free spa treatment.. Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:53 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Flying AA F next month SYD-LAX.. Couple of questions.. What time does the spa open & can I book a treatment in advance? The flight is so early with the time change now so 915am not 115am so wasnt sure on the spa. Larger comment/curiosity... how come QF web site doesnt say anywhere that a OW F can access their F lounges? All the rules for allowing access are either for status or if you are on QF or EK or even Jetstar. Maybe I missed it but I dont see where it says any OW F can access. I cant speak for SYD having never been but I had a hec of time in the past with agents at LAX and remember when reaching out to discuss with QF they said its a QF lounge not a OW lounge. Really hoping to check this lounge out and get the free spa treatment.. Thanks
It used to be 8AM. Unsure post Covid.

I doubt you would get a spa treatment over QF F pax with limited slots that early, but you can try.

OW website will clearly illustrate that you have access.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
SYD F lounge tends to not have the issues that people report at the LAX F lounge. And is a better lounge in many ways.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=SYD

KF
happiest_at_40000 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
It used to be 8AM. Unsure post Covid.

I doubt you would get a spa treatment over QF F pax with limited slots that early, but you can try.

OW website will clearly illustrate that you have access.
Shoot if its 8am it may not work out. I'd have to be able to get an 8am time no later and then haul to the gate.

I dont understand why does the LAX flights on both AA & QF leave so early. Its not like leaving any later would be make them land at a bad time in LA (middle of the night). And the plane doesnt turn around until very late so why does it need 16 hours on the ground. I would much prefer to leave at 9pm and arrive at 6pm thus having a whole day in Aus and then land jet lagged and tired in the evening not with a full day ahead.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 11:33 pm

Conversely, the morning departure from Sydney means that the flight is taking place during time when would be awake rather than being up all day and then up all night - early morning arrival is a lot better for onward connections eastbound from LAX than an evening arrival

an 18:00 arrival would mean that the earliest valid connection would be 20:00 - so not very good when heading east
Old Mar 18, 2023, 11:33 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Shoot if its 8am it may not work out. I'd have to be able to get an 8am time no later and then haul to the gate.

I dont understand why does the LAX flights on both AA & QF leave so early. Its not like leaving any later would be make them land at a bad time in LA (middle of the night). And the plane doesnt turn around until very late so why does it need 16 hours on the ground. I would much prefer to leave at 9pm and arrive at 6pm thus having a whole day in Aus and then land jet lagged and tired in the evening not with a full day ahead.
QF11 used to depart at 15:10 arriving at 09:45. QF made a business decision to move it to the AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.