Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas blocking QR awards? Assistance needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat

I have found availability for 2x BNE-DOH-DUB seats with QR available to BA, AA etc. but for some reason I just can't find a way to get them to show on QF website. QF is showing economy awards on the same flights but nothing in J. I am 100% that the availability is there but it appears Qantas might be blocking it. Is this a thing? And if so, is there anyway to get around it without having to try call them and end up waiting 7 hours and then being disconnected?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:10 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
It is acknowledged that QR release several seats to BA and AA for redemption, but only one to QFF.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
It is acknowledged that QR release several seats to BA and AA for redemption, but only one to QFF.
Is this QR sticking it to QF for partnering with EK? Seems a bit odd. Same seats are available to JL, AY etc so seems to be QF specific.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Can you provide a link to the evidence for this assertion?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by pogonation
Is this QR sticking it to QF for partnering with EK? Seems a bit odd. Same seats are available to JL, AY etc so seems to be QF specific.
I would try phoning and seeing whether this is just a Qantas website issue
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:20 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Can you provide a link to the evidence for this assertion?
There is no Qantas source, but it’s the widely reported on AFF and HFC.

I too have found it true when I have looked.

I only use AA miles for QR, not QF.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

I would try phoning and seeing whether this is just a Qantas website issue
This was my initial thought but the problem with phoning is that the average wait time is about 7 hours currently. I called yesterday and the call dropped after 3 hours on hold. Almost impossible to speak to someone annoyingly. Overall the QF award booking platform is awful!!.. Also have availability for HEL-HND-SYD (AY/JL.. 4hr connection) and QF just won't show it but will show the individual sectors as being available.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

There is no Qantas source, but it’s the widely reported on AFF and HFC.

I too have found it true when I have looked.

I only use AA miles for QR, not QF.
Yeah just been reading some threads over there that seem to back up your point. Here is one for example.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by pogonation
Yeah just been reading some threads over there that seem to back up your point. Here is one for example.
I wouldn't count that as a source any more than the post here saying it. Doesn't show that QR is blocking access
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:58 pm

The situation as described by the first 2 posters is as I understand it .
Why- don't know.
Maybe
  1. QF disliked by QR because it code shares with Emirates.
  2. Australian government kicked up a stink when pax on a flight there were removed from a flight at Doha in 2020 and had forced gynaecological examinations in an Ambulance on the tarmac .
  3. Differential costs of a QR award vs a QFF one.
It would be great to see the situation resolved and QFF offer more than 1 J award seat per flight.

Getting back from Europe to Australia going eastwards is getting problematic - Japan very strict , HKG almost closed , SIN still causing issues for transits.
Qatar (and Emirates ) offer the best transit countries at the moment .
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:32 pm

What is the problem with transitting in Japan at the moment? from what I can tell, it seems to be ok and have made a booking via Tokyo. Is there something that I have missed?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
What is the problem with transitting in Japan at the moment? from what I can tell, it seems to be ok and have made a booking via Tokyo. Is there something that I have missed?
Provided you're transiting at the same airport and on the same calendar day, I don't think there's a problem.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by danger
Provided you're transiting at the same airport and on the same calendar day, I don't think there's a problem.
I actually believe that it is 72 hours at Haneda
If I am reading it correctly , it seems that there is no pre-deperutre Covid test needed to transit Japan either - so I am hoping that my analysis that nothing needed to leave AU, nothing needed to transit JP and nothing needed to enter UK is correct
If so, to me, Japan seems one of the easy transit points
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I actually believe that it is 72 hours at Haneda
If I am reading it correctly , it seems that there is no pre-deperutre Covid test needed to transit Japan either - so I am hoping that my analysis that nothing needed to leave AU, nothing needed to transit JP and nothing needed to enter UK is correct
If so, to me, Japan seems one of the easy transit points
Yes, you may well be right on the 72 hour point.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:59 pm

Dave, My concern is the inability to land transit HND - HRT and VV.
In the current pandemic , I want to have as many alternate transit options as possible .
Just having an abundance of caution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.