Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty Free QF1

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Duty Free QF1

My parents are finally getting back down under next month and are keen to top up their Bundy supplies! Will they be able to purchase duty free at Sydney on their departure with the Darwin transfer or will the usual rules apply?

Don't worry, they aren't planning on getting 8 bottles in total, they just need to take over some UK alcohol in their check in luggage so won't be able to get their usual four bottles on the way in

Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:52 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
There's no additional security or bag check for the stop at Darwin - the 'transit area' is just staying at the gate. You do have to take everything off the plane.
juddles and ellielovesem like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 4:12 am

Programs: QF, LM
Originally Posted by ellielovesem
My parents are finally getting back down under next month and are keen to top up their Bundy supplies! Will they be able to purchase duty free at Sydney on their departure with the Darwin transfer or will the usual rules apply?

Don't worry, they aren't planning on getting 8 bottles in total, they just need to take over some UK alcohol in their check in luggage so won't be able to get their usual four bottles on the way in

Thanks!
Ellie, I am completely unable to answer your very specific questions about current duty-free allowances, although I was once an expert in such things. During Covid and the whole world of international travel taking such a beating, some of us "dropped the ball" in regard to such pre-Covid pleasures and knowledge. Sorry

Having said that though, your post raised in me Hope, hope that things are starting, slowly, to get back to the glorious pre-Covid travel times, where such things as duty-free managed to add delight and enjoyment to any international travel.

Hopefully LondonAussie has answered your question. But as an aside, I am somewhat ashamed in my Australian-ness that Bundy rates as a product worth transporting. I am a lover of all alcohol, except Bundy The times that I have in the past taken this product to friends overseas, they all had the same reaction - that it was a joke or maybe I was trying to kill them?

And I tend to agree with their take on Bundy. I HATE it, me who has drunk palm wine from felled trees in Ghana.... But I also get that UK citizens drink their beer warm..... enough said :P

Anyway, sorry to invade your thread without great advice. I just enjoyed the feeling that things are getting back to normal. I truly wish your parents have a great trip "down under". Truly so
ellielovesem likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by juddles
Ellie, I am completely unable to answer your very specific questions about current duty-free allowances, although I was once an expert in such things. During Covid and the whole world of international travel taking such a beating, some of us "dropped the ball" in regard to such pre-Covid pleasures and knowledge. Sorry

Having said that though, your post raised in me Hope, hope that things are starting, slowly, to get back to the glorious pre-Covid travel times, where such things as duty-free managed to add delight and enjoyment to any international travel.

Hopefully LondonAussie has answered your question. But as an aside, I am somewhat ashamed in my Australian-ness that Bundy rates as a product worth transporting. I am a lover of all alcohol, except Bundy The times that I have in the past taken this product to friends overseas, they all had the same reaction - that it was a joke or maybe I was trying to kill them?

And I tend to agree with their take on Bundy. I HATE it, me who has drunk palm wine from felled trees in Ghana.... But I also get that UK citizens drink their beer warm..... enough said :P

Anyway, sorry to invade your thread without great advice. I just enjoyed the feeling that things are getting back to normal. I truly wish your parents have a great trip "down under". Truly so
I am aware of the Aussie opinion on Bundy, I guess it's like Fosters (warm or chilled) being drunk here but not there I think it's a nostalgia thing for them and reminds them of their trips.

Thank you for your best wishes, it's been a long time coming. Four years since their last trip and almost three years since my sisters last visit to the UK. They're both in their 70's so keen to crack on and get over there with hopefully a Christmas visit later this year, making up for lost time.

Of course this is all tinged with sadness that my wait goes on, I follow the border thread and have seen your contributions over there. I keep my fingers crossed that there will be some positive news sooner rather than later.
juddles likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:17 am

.........Of course this is all tinged with sadness that my wait goes on, I follow the border thread and have seen your contributions over there. I keep my fingers crossed that there will be some positive news sooner rather than later.
As a mere citizen, not a person in authority, I eagerly await your, and and anyone's visit
ellielovesem likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by juddles
As a mere citizen, not a person in authority, I eagerly await your, and and anyone's visit
Thank you, I will be on the earliest flight possible when the announcement is made! It will be two years tomorrow since I last saw my sister, the reopening can't come soon enough for me and so many others.
juddles likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:47 am

Thank you, I will be on the earliest flight possible when the announcement is made! It will be two years tomorrow since I last saw my sister, the reopening can't come soon enough for me and so many others.
You UK people always infest the major places, like Sydney and Melbourne. But if you make it to the glorious Sunshine Coast I will shout you lunch
ellielovesem likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.