Wiki Posts
Search

Refund for Cancelled Flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2021, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Refund for Cancelled Flight

Had a CBR-ADL return ticket where outbound was used, but the return leg of ADL-MEL (-CBR) was cancelled last Sep due to boarder closure.
The ticket cost $210 and I was refunded $38.
Written attempts for an explanation have remained unanswered.
Any possible rational reasoning to this apparent rip-off?
Old Nov 25, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Well, I have a nearly $6000 oz, so $4300 USD business class ticket I am still waiting on a refund for.
QF cancelled the flight - so I had my travel agent process the refund on his GDS. Has yet to show up on my credit card. Its been two months.

Filed DOT complaint ( in the US , since its a US ticket - and I'm American also) and credit card dispute.
American rules are very clear on this - Qantas has 7 days to refund the fare back to my card. Clearly using covid as an excuse. I hope the Department of Transportation slaps a very hefty fine on Qantas, and makes their life difficult in getting permission to fly that non stop to JFK they have been dreaming about.
Air Canada was fined $2m for this .

I am not sure what I should do, sue Qantas in a California court?

I just might .

Anyone know the address of where I should send the summons to? New York would be easier - but I can do this in California too. If any one knows - post here ore message me. A quick visit to the court house and I can do this
Old Nov 25, 2021, 4:19 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Well, I have a nearly $6000 oz, so $4300 USD business class ticket I am still waiting on a refund for.
QF cancelled the flight - so I had my travel agent process the refund on his GDS. Has yet to show up on my credit card. Its been two months.

Filed DOT complaint ( in the US , since its a US ticket - and I'm American also) and credit card dispute.
American rules are very clear on this - Qantas has 7 days to refund the fare back to my card. Clearly using covid as an excuse. I hope the Department of Transportation slaps a very hefty fine on Qantas, and makes their life difficult in getting permission to fly that non stop to JFK they have been dreaming about.
Air Canada was fined $2m for this .

I am not sure what I should do, sue Qantas in a California court?

I just might .

Anyone know the address of where I should send the summons to? New York would be easier - but I can do this in California too. If any one knows - post here ore message me. A quick visit to the court house and I can do this
Sounds like you bought your ticket through a Travel Agent (?). If so, why are you attempting to deal directly with QF instead of through your TA?
With a similar refund to yours, I phoned QF at 9 weeks to follow it up. After 1 day I received the email saying the refund was approved and saw it in my cc account 3 days later.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:00 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
There's also credit card chargeback. I won a chargeback against BA (though it is unclear whether Citi just thinks I have a sufficient case but couldn't be arsed to pursue BA so refunded me out of pocket. It was around $55 anyway, seems like they deducted an Avios cancellation fee when they clearly shouldn't).
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by og
Sounds like you bought your ticket through a Travel Agent (?). If so, why are you attempting to deal directly with QF instead of through your TA?
With a similar refund to yours, I phoned QF at 9 weeks to follow it up. After 1 day I received the email saying the refund was approved and saw it in my cc account 3 days later.
Travel processed refund though GDS , confirmed my qantas sales support with an approval number . Shows up as a refund on an arc report

Qantas tho , as so far refused to refund my credit card .

Im giving them a few more weeks - I’ll bring suit against qantas for this - with damages for my time spent handling this , as soon as i am back in the us in a few weeks, in california court , with copies of all of this sent to the US DOT

It would be cheaper and easier if qantas just gave me my money back for a flight they cancelled
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by LukeO9
Had a CBR-ADL return ticket where outbound was used, but the return leg of ADL-MEL (-CBR) was cancelled last Sep due to boarder closure.
The ticket cost $210 and I was refunded $38.
Written attempts for an explanation have remained unanswered.
Any possible rational reasoning to this apparent rip-off?
What was the price of the return flight? For domestic it should be priced as two one ways. You could try calling to ask.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Travel processed refund though GDS , confirmed my qantas sales support with an approval number . Shows up as a refund on an arc report

Qantas tho , as so far refused to refund my credit card .

Im giving them a few more weeks - I’ll bring suit against qantas for this - with damages for my time spent handling this , as soon as i am back in the us in a few weeks, in california court , with copies of all of this sent to the US DOT

It would be cheaper and easier if qantas just gave me my money back for a flight they cancelled
You certainly won’t be getting anything for consequential damages. Deal with your TA, that is their job.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You certainly won’t be getting anything for consequential damages.
I have brought suit against a European airline in a US court for a contact dispute - and yes I did get consequential damages . Not the first time doing this . It’s far easier to do this in the states .

Im going to make QF’a life very difficult - it would be easier for them to just give me back my money
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
From the wording of your first post, surely you should be suing your TA.

Regardless of the merits or your claim (which I don’t doubt and I hope you get your money back) I doubt QF is terribly worried about any individual claim, the same way that no airline cares about an individual flyer’s contribution to the bottom line, which is nothing.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:00 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are the chances that QF have refunded to the TA (as you’d expect if you paid the TA for the ticket), but the TA is slow in forwarding the money?
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by og
What are the chances that QF have refunded to the TA (as you’d expect if you paid the TA for the ticket), but the TA is slow in forwarding the money?
Charged directly to my card - refund to my card. Zero. Refund processed in the GDS - I've done my due diligence

I paid QF for the ticket - merchant is QF
No monies exchanged between me and TA - the TMC booked the ticket. -

Its about 6 grand oz - if it was your money you would try to get it back ( after 2 months )

They may not care - but I intend to make QF's life difficult as possible. ( In the United States )

Last edited by OpenSky; Nov 29, 2021 at 11:33 pm
Old Nov 30, 2021, 12:09 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

…Its about 6 grand oz - if it was your money you would try to get it back ( after 2 months )
I have had more owing to me from QF from multiple itineraries than your sum. I have either got the refunds or acceptable forms of credit but it took 8 to 10 weeks for it to happen. And that took a call to the call centre to ask what was going on given I was initially told 8 to 12 weeks when it all started. My follow-up call was at 9-10 weeks. My refunds or forms of credit were then processed and finalised a few days later.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by og
I have had more owing to me from QF from multiple itineraries than your sum. I have either got the refunds or acceptable forms of credit but it took 8 to 10 weeks for it to happen. And that took a call to the call centre to ask what was going on given I was initially told 8 to 12 weeks when it all started. My follow-up call was at 9-10 weeks. My refunds or forms of credit were then processed and finalised a few days later.
These were US purchased tickets - processed via in the United States. They need to bloody follow our laws and rules - 7 days man.
I am determined to teach QF a lesson.

My credit card company decided to kick it back to QF - I would love to see them challenge that. All this will be submitted to our regulators of course……I even copied my local congressman and senator since the regulator seems to be slow. Well see - prepared to take them to court if necessary, its not hard do to in the US - and QF doesn't have a case…..at all.

its a giant waste of time. How hard up are they for money anyway?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: NZ
...How hard up are they for money anyway?
Probably very hard up.

As others have indicated the way this works is that QF says it takes 8-10 weeks to process a refund. But in reality you have to chase the refund once that time has elapsed. In your case that means your TA needs to chase the refund with QF. If you use a TA you've been working with for years then he/she should be more than willing to do this. If you used an OTA then you may find they are less willing to push your case. But if the TA can speak with QF I am sure you will get your refund. That's my experience, the experience of @og above and many others in a similar situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.