Wiki Posts
Search

Syd-Lax 787-9

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Syd-Lax 787-9

I have a booking 01 July 2021 SYD-LAX which in the last day or so has been changed from a A380 to a 787-9 QF11
(seat map with my booking 3 weeks ago was a A380)

This comes as a bit of a shock as I thought some of the refurb A380 would stick to the LA run, they must have pulled the pin on the A380 for this route.

Last edited by robertr; Sep 10, 2020 at 5:27 am Reason: Added comma
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:34 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
The QF CEO has previously announced that he anticipates that all of their A380s are to be mothballed for probably at least three years. Most are already at Victorville.

Given this, for some strange reason, QF have been very slow in removing that aircraft type from schedules.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robertr
I have a booking 01 July 2021 SYD-LAX which in the last day or so has been changed from a A380 to a 787-9 QF11

This comes as a bit of a shock as I thought some of the refurb A380 would stick to the LA run, they must have pulled the pin on the A380 for this route.
25 June 2020 --->Qantas to store A380 superjumbos in Mojave Desert until 2023
Better than even chances the QF A380 will never return to QF passenger service

The B787 are also in storage. Mid 2021 has been reported as when QF may start long haul again,
20 Aug 2020 ---> Qantas CEO Alan Joyce rules out flights until COVID-19 vaccine is ready

Mr Joyce said despite hopes of a trans-Tasman travel bubble opening sooner than other international routes, he squashed any plans of recommencing flights to the US.“We have parked the A380 for at least three years … We have put the 787s in long-term storage which fly transcontinental and we believe the earliest we will see the international borders opening up is the middle of next year,” he said.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold

This comes as a bit of a shock as I tho
No one knows when the transpacific on Qantas will resume.
The fact that the A380 is not going to return to service anytime soon, is well known.
You have made the decision to make a booking - but you knew full well that no one can predict how the travel world would look like in July 2021.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
No one knows when the transpacific on Qantas will resume.
The fact that the A380 is not going to return to service anytime soon, is well known.
You have made the decision to make a booking - but you knew full well that no one can predict how the travel world would look like in July 2021.
I made a decision to a RTW itinerary one year ago Syd to Lax was one leg for June 2020, this of course did no eventuate and it was rescheduled to Sept 2020 that also has not occurred and it is now rebooked to July 2021.
I was informing fellow flyertalkers of the change of aircraft, I am not sure why you had to give me a lecture on my decision making.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I made a decision to a RTW itinerary one year ago Syd to Lax was one leg for June 2020, this of course did no eventuate and it was rescheduled to Sept 2020 that also has not occurred and it is now rebooked to July 2021.
I was informing fellow flyertalkers of the change of aircraft, I am not sure why you had to give me a lecture on my decision making.
I think it’s partly out of frustration as QF taking off 380s has been known for over 2 months so is pretty old news.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
So does this mean that QF will not offer FIRST at all until 2023? QF J isn't really that impressive
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
So does this mean that QF will not offer FIRST at all until 2023? QF J isn't really that impressive
Yes. Only the QF A380 had first class.
And better than an even chance the QF A380 will never return to QF passenger service.
World wide airlines/aircraft/routes with first class are decreasing. Covid-19 has increased that.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes. Only the QF A380 had first class.
And better than an even chance the QF A380 will never return to QF passenger service.
World wide airlines/aircraft/routes with first class are decreasing. Covid-19 has increased that.
I'm surprised QF isn't considering alternatives... they can offer a small F cabin on select 787 frames
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:49 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
I'm surprised QF isn't considering alternatives... they can offer a small F cabin on select 787 frames
The QF plan for Project Sunrise, is to provide F on the A350-1000, when it comes into service. So, no F for at least several years it seems, and not on the B787.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...-a-ray-of-hope
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

I was totally aware of Alan Joyce's comments of the benching of the a380 aircraft for 3 years, my opinion is that there will be a reversal of this decision given the Olympic Games of July 2021 plus the expected rush on bookings for overseas travel, given that there will be a huge chance of a vaccine by then, i may be wrong, it just doesn't make sense for Alan Joyce to go the early crow.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 2:41 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I was totally aware of Alan Joyce's comments of the benching of the a380 aircraft for 3 years, my opinion is that there will be a reversal of this decision given the Olympic Games of July 2021 plus the expected rush on bookings for overseas travel, given that there will be a huge chance of a vaccine by then, i may be wrong, it just doesn't make sense for Alan Joyce to go the early crow.
Bluff, tactics, negotiation. It’d be reasonable to think there’s more issues going on in QF HQ than COVID grounding for a large part of the fleet. For example outsourcing of staff that couldn’t have been outsourced in normal times. - just speculating
DC9 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by og
Bluff, tactics, negotiation. It’d be reasonable to think there’s more issues going on in QF HQ than COVID grounding for a large part of the fleet. For example outsourcing of staff that couldn’t have been outsourced in normal times. - just speculating
Reasonable speculation though. They'll definitely be using the crisis to extract concessions. Sstating that they will be parking aircraft for 3 years when they have no idea how long it will actually be is clearly calibrated to send a message to politicians.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting off topic for A380 to B787 substitution
Originally Posted by deeruck
Originally Posted by og
Reasonable speculation though. They'll definitely be using the crisis to extract concessions. Stating that they will be parking aircraft for 3 years when they have no idea how long it will actually be is clearly calibrated to send a message to politicians.
Putting pressure on politicians, unions, airports and financiers will be all part of the same tactics.
Have read 20 airlines are flying into AU, but QF have chosen not to fly internationally. Even to NZ South Pacific (B737 range)
Old Sep 14, 2020, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With a maximum of 50 passengers on NZ-AU flights and restrictions on travel, perhaps Qantas feels flying to NZ is not worthwhile

In the end, it is a public limitied company and if it chooses not to fly, then politicians should not be involved ; it is a matter for shareholders
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.