Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Checked baggage allowance on BA Euro economy flights booked using QF points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked baggage allowance on BA Euro economy flights booked using QF points

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Question Checked baggage allowance on BA Euro economy flights booked using QF points

A question for those who have used Qantas points to book intra-Europe economy flights on BA, do these book into Euro Traveller with a checked baggage allowance? Or will they be hand baggage only (Basic) tickets?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BA flights in Europe, are often not worthwhile redemptions , but they will not be hand baggage only tickets. You will see when you select the flights that the details state for baggage "Per Adult : 1 piece"

On a London - Paris economy redemption for example, the cost of a ticket directly from airline can be as low as £68.64 , of which £33.64 is taxes which you will still have to pay on a redemption, giving a £35 saving

If you don't actually need to take luggage, the fare for a ticket on BA would only be £45.64 including taxes , making the 10k points give a £12 value

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 16, 2020 at 2:36 pm
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA flights in Europe, are often not worthwhile redemptions , but they will not be hand baggage only tickets. You will see when you select the flights that the details state for baggage "Per Adult : 1 piece"

On a London - Paris economy redemption for example, the cost of a ticket directly from airline can be as low as £68.64 , of which £33.64 is taxes which you will still have to pay on a redemption, giving a £35 saving

If you don't actually need to take luggage, the fare for a ticket on BA would only be £45.64 including taxes , making the 10k points give a £12 value
Ah I missed the baggage details part during the booking process, thank you.

Unfortunately I will need to travel with checked baggage but will keep an eye out for cash fares around the time.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:44 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Hi eminere,

Presumably your intra-EU is not part of an international itinerary into the EU?
Also: what oneWorld status do you have?

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BD1959
Hi eminere,

Presumably your intra-EU is not part of an international itinerary into the EU?
Also: what oneWorld status do you have?

Regards,

BD
Hi! I'll be flying into LHR, spending a few days in the UK and then flying out of CDG back to Australia. There is a possibility I might visit another European city in between in which case I would most likely fly from that city to CDG and spend a night in Paris before the flight home. All will be on separate tickets. I'm oneworld Emerald.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by eminere
Hi! I'll be flying into LHR, spending a few days in the UK and then flying out of CDG back to Australia. There is a possibility I might visit another European city in between in which case I would most likely fly from that city to CDG and spend a night in Paris before the flight home. All will be on separate tickets. I'm oneworld Emerald.
So as OWE you have additional baggage allowance on *all* your flights - included the intra-EU. I'm pretty sure this is 20kgs under the weight system and 1 additional checked piece under the piece system, but the relevant OW page doesn't appear to be coming up for me to link you to.

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BD1959
So as OWE you have additional baggage allowance on *all* your flights - included the intra-EU. I'm pretty sure this is 20kgs under the weight system and 1 additional checked piece under the piece system, but the relevant OW page doesn't appear to be coming up for me to link you to.

Regards,

BD
Yes, though I believe that oneworld additional checked baggage allowances don't "add" a free checked bag to BA's hand baggage only fares so I just wanted to make sure I avoided booking one of these.
BD1959 and nivsy like this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by eminere
Yes, though I believe that oneworld additional checked baggage allowances don't "add" a free checked bag to BA's hand baggage only fares so I just wanted to make sure I avoided booking one of these.
Correct. Buy a hand baggage only fare then regardless of status you are on a hand baggage only "entitlement". Buy a ticket with bags your allowance pops up to the entitled weight of status.
eminere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.