Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Tomorrow's QF12 JFK-LAX-SYD cancelled [12 Mar 2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Just after Trump's speech this evening, I had my QF12 JFK-LAX-SYD flight tomorrow (Thursday) cancelled via text (thanks Qantas!) and am wondering if they're suspending the flights for the foreseeable future. Tried getting in touch with the Qantas call center, but a 3-4 hour wait is way too long. I'm waiting to hear back from Qantas Twitter.

Anyone have news about QF11/12 or US-Australia flights generally being suspended for the coming weeks? I know they're reducing capacity between Australia and the US, but seems like it's getting worse. Just trying to get news so I know what to prepare for. Maybe I'll get re-booked on American to Sydney?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ieatsamosas
Long time lurker, first time poster...

Just after Trump's speech this evening, I had my QF12 JFK-LAX-SYD flight tomorrow (Thursday) cancelled via text (thanks Qantas!) and am wondering if they're suspending the flights for the foreseeable future. Tried getting in touch with the Qantas call center, but a 3-4 hour wait is way too long. I'm waiting to hear back from Qantas Twitter.

Anyone have news about QF11/12 or US-Australia flights generally being suspended for the coming weeks? I know they're reducing capacity between Australia and the US, but seems like it's getting worse. Just trying to get news so I know what to prepare for. Maybe I'll get re-booked on American to Sydney?
A cash booking with QF? If sold by AA contact AA

Today's QF11 SYD-LAX (A380) is delayed 1:50hr
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA11
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qf11
But QF11 LAX-JFK is served by a different aircraft (B787) that I understand is usually the QF15 BNE-LAX aircraft
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA15

QF93 MEL-LAX https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA93

So its looks like QF will have aircraft in USA that will return home
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
A cash booking with QF? If sold by AA contact AA

Today's QF11 SYD-LAX (A380) is delayed 1:50hr
(link removed)
But QF11 LAX-JFK is served by a different aircraft (B787) that I understand is usually the QF15 BNE-LAX aircraft
(link removed)

QF93 MEL-LAX (link removed)

So its looks like QF will aircraft in USA that will return home

Appreciate the really fast response. Yep, a cash booking with QF. Booked a very cheap Y fare a long time ago (May 2019?). You're right about the QF11 LAX-JFK plane serving the QF15 route. Haven't heard anything from Qantas yet but will keep the thread updated and keep track of the QF11 plane scheduled to depart from Sydney.

Btw, removed links because I'm a n00b around here.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you looked on the QF web site "manage booking"? May show something. But may/may not be correct.
https://www.qantas.com/us/en/manage-booking.html
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Have you looked on the QF web site "manage booking"? May show something. But may/may not be correct.
(link removed)
I was checking it earlier and it just had a generic error website every time I went to manage that specific booking. However, I just checked after you suggested it and looks like I'm getting rebooked onto AA73, departing an hour and change later for SYD.

Looks like the flight's almost half empty too. Thanks for the suggestion!
DC9 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:50 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
This is worth a try. CheckMyTrip can show the revised booking details, often before you get the re-issued e-ticket from QF.

Edit: May sound odd, but QF e-ticket may take a while to get to your inbox.

And, for tomorrow’s flight. Very frustrating for you.

Last edited by DC9; Mar 11, 2020 at 10:32 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I am on QF 55 (BNE - LAX) on Saturday trying to get home. Right now it’s flying.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:17 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QR Platinum, QF Gold, ITA Executive, HH Diamond, Accor Plus Diamond
QF11 ended up being cancelled
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was checking it earlier and it just had a generic error website every time I went to manage that specific booking. However, I just checked after you suggested it and looks like I'm getting rebooked onto AA73, departing an hour and change later for SYD.

Looks like the flight's almost half empty too. Thanks for the suggestion!
AA73 is LAX-SYD, Did QF-AA get you from JFK to LAX?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:46 am

Any updates on this?

Any updates on this? I'm on this flight, and internet says it's cancelled, but 4hr wait time to talk with Qantas.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Sorry everyone for the late response / resolution to the story. I tried posting a couple days ago, but since I'm new the post needed to be moderated (which makes sense).

When checking in with Qantas at JFK, they said my AA73 flight rebooking was "corrupted" and the ticket number disappeared. Frustrating for sure, but more frustrating for the staff who were only trying to help. After 2.5 hours, they rebooked me onto Qantas JFK-LAX-MEL-SYD (QF96 for the LAX-MEL) and I got in a few hours later than initially planned. No further issues after that, but the QF96 LAX-MEL flight was only ~50-60% full in Y while a number of people were put into hotels for the night. Strange.

Now I'm trying to rebook my return for much sooner than March 29 (current date) since Australia is trending toward a stronger coronavirus response (possible lockdown) and I'd like to get back home...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:03 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
...No further issues after that, but the QF96 LAX-MEL flight was only ~50-60% full in Y while a number of people were put into hotels for the night. Strange..
The flight was probably load restricted due to strong headwinds, carrying max fuel for the distance and maybe plenty of freight underneath. Freight can be more valuable to carry than passengers ( incl accom costs and meals).
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....Now I'm trying to rebook my return for much sooner than March 29 (current date) since Australia is trending toward a stronger coronavirus response (possible lockdown) and I'd like to get back home...
Thanks for the update.
I would be more worried about an increased USA response for people entering USA
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
The flight was probably load restricted due to strong headwinds, carrying max fuel for the distance and maybe plenty of freight underneath. Freight can be more valuable to carry than passengers ( incl accom costs and meals).
Interesting...definitely makes sense. Funnily enough, just read some comments on OMAAT suggesting that Cathay Pacific is adding flights to the US to get students back to HK...and to get profitable cargo back to the US.

Thanks for the update.
I would be more worried about an increased USA response for people entering USA
Definitely concerning too, but might be OK for US citizens to return and self-quarantine. Then again, things are moving so fast that we can't predict what's coming next.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Was booked on AA ticket on AA metal to return to Sydney on the 25'th from Denver . Now Presently booked to fly via DFW on QF8 on 18'th.
Things are moving quickly in Colorado , one thing ski resorts being closed, but now our favourite coffee shop in SIlverthorne is take out only !! (first world humour attempt) .

Good luck to those attempting to get home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.