Oneworld Benefits between QF and BA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:39 am
HB7
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Oneworld Benefits between QF and BA

Hi All,

I would like to confirm something. I'm currently Qantas Gold and have relocated to London, so it makes more sense I believe to start earning BA Avios and status.

If I do this, and stay in the UK for a few years, I will lose QF Status. If I do return home I would want to build up my QF Gold status again. If I'm back in Australia, and I'm BA Avios Silver (equivalent to QF Gold), will I get Gold benefits if I'm using my QF number on the booking (which will have no status) by showing my BA card?

On my ticket/boarding pass it will show my QF number with no status - is this a potential source of problems with say lounge access?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you sure that the BA scheme is the best choice of schemes? Neing in UK doesn't mean that BA is necessarily the best scheme. Depending on your routes, class of service and where you want to redeem travel to , another scheme may be better

Can easily believe that there would be a better choice than using QF when there ( or even still when back in Australia )

If you have status from another scheme, you would be able to get lounge access by showing the card - getting additional baggage would require speaking to someone

You would likely be better to put the other scheme number in booking and be able to get seat selection as per OW statius ; you would get baggage allowance and lounge access as per card - then change the number at the lounge so as to credit to the QF scheme if you wish to do so
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are you sure that the BA scheme is the best choice of schemes? Neing in UK doesn't mean that BA is necessarily the best scheme. Depending on your routes, class of service and where you want to redeem travel to , another scheme may be better

Can easily believe that there would be a better choice than using QF when there
+1.

BA Avios would be great for intra-European redemptions on BA to/from London, but not so good for long-haul redemptions from Europe on any oneworld carrier because of BAEC's high cash surcharges on redemptions.
​​​​​​
If sticking with QF's program while based in London does not make sense, I'd look at AA's AAdvantage program, or maybe Iberia Plus.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:15 pm
HB7
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Thanks Dave, I'm actually not sure what is best for me. I believe I have enough QF points to satisfy my redemption needs for the next 2-3 years - something I have planned out. Being based in the UK, I also plan on taking advantage of some cheaper fare such as out of TUN, CAI or other European cities. So I guess points redemptions aren't exactly a big plan for me now.

In your expert opinion, what OW scheme do you believe I should look at? I plan to be here in London for 2-3 years. In that time I plan to fly long haul 2-3 times per year in J and F and monthly intra-europe in Y.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would seriously be looking at the AA scheme - you are likely to be very well off redemption wise
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:30 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Both earn and burn rates vary for each Oneworld FF plan, and every plan has something that it is best at. For most people Aadvantage is best for a variety of reasons. When Alaska joins it might be the best plan, but that is a year away and lot can change by then. Iberia Plus does have some nice perks including lifetime status but many of the special perks are specific to MAD and BCN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.