Search

JQ Strike

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
JQ Strike

Hi everyone,

Couldn't find an existing thread on the potential Jetstar strike, but please merge if there is one already.

I'm booked on Saturdays JQ4 flight (HNL-SYD) and from what I can read on the internet, it is possible the flight will be cancelled/delayed because of the strike. Are there any FT insiders here willing to share info on how the negotiations are going? I know things can change within minutes, but I'm doing my homework planning now in case things turn for the worst.

Cheers
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: QF WP
I’m led to believe by friends working at JQ that nothing will happen before Christmas (although we only have pilot contacts so can’t vouch for ground staff et al). The pilots are planning to base their industrial action on the recent Tigerair PIA

edit looks like the plan has changed as seems confirmed for this weekend 😔 in which case hope all goes to plan for you
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I think you should be fine as its out side the time of the industrial action on that day for the 787. It doesnt start until 930am local port time.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:10 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Also the pilots don't want to be stuck in Hawaii for an extra day It is a 4 hour stoppage and no international JQ flights are expected to be affected....JQ has announced 44 flights being cancelled on Sat Dec 14 and affected customers are already contacted.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Four missed calls from Deathstar today - absolutely NO flights booked with them, nor would I ever...
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
It would be a great result if DeathStar went under.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How on earth would it be beneficial if Jet Star went out of business ? Then again - the derogaroty terms being used suggests pure personal bias , than an actual benefit to be gained by its loss
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 8:48 am

Location: Auckland NZ or somewhere in or over the South Pacific
Programs: NZ *GE
Well JQ3 inbound to HNL is showing on the boards as cancelled 🤷.♂️ or am I misinterpreting the dates?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by Mangi Nambis
Well JQ3 inbound to HNL is showing on the boards as cancelled 🤷.♂️ or am I misinterpreting the dates?
JQ3 ex Sydney on Saturday afternoon was indeed cancelled. Although outside the window for industrial action. The reason may be a knock on from the strike or some other reason.

I can’t see a JQ4 in the schedules for a Saturday departure from HNL.

I would suggest you log in to manage my booking and see what your booking says to do.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:49 am
Suspended

I have some future booking with JQ.

Since I don't live in Australia, I am quite concerned, I would like to ask all the Australian flyer here, that how likely this dispute will be extended to the new year, and what was the reason for strikes any way? Anyone here can provide more information?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
https://newsroom.jetstar.com/update-...strial-action/

https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/travel-alerts
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
I have some future booking with JQ.

Since I don't live in Australia, I am quite concerned, I would like to ask all the Australian flyer here, that how likely this dispute will be extended to the new year, and what was the reason for strikes any way? Anyone here can provide more information?
1) I would suggest quite likely but I suppose you never know- they’ve preemptively cancelled 10% of the January schedule

2) there’s 2 separate strikes going on
-ground crew, who are basically paid minimum wage and who have had their jobs reviewed by safe work and are asking for more money, more hours and improved safety
-pilots, who are striking for better conditions, as the 3% pay deal is already agreed but the suggestion is amending rosters and the like will amount to a 15% pay rise

jetstar was basically created as something of a union busting, cheaper cost centred operation possibly in response to the now infamous qantas red tie strike that resulted in the airline being grounded for 24-48 hours. I’m not particularly surprised that it’s coming back to bite them on the arse now
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nancypants
1) I would suggest quite likely but I suppose you never know- they’ve preemptively cancelled 10% of the January schedule

2) there’s 2 separate strikes going on
-ground crew, who are basically paid minimum wage and who have had their jobs reviewed by safe work and are asking for more money, more hours and improved safety
-pilots, who are striking for better conditions, as the 3% pay deal is already agreed but the suggestion is amending rosters and the like will amount to a 15% pay rise

jetstar was basically created as something of a union busting, cheaper cost centred operation possibly in response to the now infamous qantas red tie strike that resulted in the airline being grounded for 24-48 hours. I’m not particularly surprised that it’s coming back to bite them on the arse now
Thank you. I will check my January booking now. I guess the March/April booking is still safe. And I will need to follow this issue more closely in case of any changes.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by nancypants
Although part of the aim seems to have been to combat the union, I believe JQ was launched well before that red tie strike.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Although part of the aim seems to have been to combat the union, I believe JQ was launched well before that red tie strike.
it’s all before my time 😉

(you are correct of course- 2003 vs 2011. Not sure when they bought impulse b I believe that is the entity that became JQ)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.