Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

EK Ticketed Flight QF Metal Status & Baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum

Please don't think this a silly question, but we've found ourselves in a situation that may be unique to the QF/EK relationship and one I've not come across before. So we are Brits travelling around Oz and NZ for 6 months with a whole variety of flights being taken. I recently needed to book AKL-SYD for the three of us. I usually book business class seats as we are travelling with x6 suitcases and x6 hand baggage pieces. We have BA Silver which translates to Sapphire OW.

Anyway using ITA Matrix I found a flight with EK, and when I booked I realised we'd be on QF metal. The question I have is around our baggage. With QF we would all be entitled to x2 32KG bags with our status, no mater which cabin we're in but our ticket is stating a max of 40KG and I am unable to purchase more allowance?

Can anyone enlighten me on what would actually happen in reality with regards to baggage when we checked in. I know we'll be over, probably at around 55-58kg each PAX. at the moment I'm considering just cancelling down the EK flight and rebooking with QF, HOWEVER the flight costs almost double with QF! Again an anomaly I've not seen before.

Thanks for any insights.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With an EK flight number BA status means nothing.
Try putting the EK PNR into the QF manage booking and see if more buying more baggage is an option.
Or phone QF and/or EK
You could pay extra at check-in, but that would be expensive

Or look for other another airline or schedule
A guide to AKL SYD flights webjet I use as a guide, but never to book.

Many airlines fly AKL SYD, including LATAM on some days
EK now only flys SYD-CHC with an A380.

Or better still get rid of some of those bags/luggage/extra kg
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 27, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: QF WP
If you’ll be back at Sydney there are reliable left luggage services available
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What will happen is that the agent will assess the excess baggage fee for the flight

I am not sure what makes you think that you would be allowed 2 x 32 kg bags - the Qantas allowance is 40kg -

Any passenger holding sapphire status would get 15kg extra
Any passenger holding emerald status would get 20kg extra

Qantas's excess baggage fees for NZ-AU will be $20 per kg.

The base baggage allowance on EK vs QF is the same

If you want a piece based allowance, perhaps Air New Zealand would be a better bet for the journey

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 27, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What will happen is that the agent will assess the excess baggage fee for the flight

I am not sure what makes you think that you would be allowed 2 x 32 kg bags - the Qantas allowance is 40kg -....
OP thinks allowance to NZ would be same as QF domestic flight -- sadly NZ is a separate country and not on the piece system for QF or EK. Looking at AUD 700 in excess baggage cost each way (AUD 1400 round trip), making other choices look cheaper than EK on QF metal which gets no Oneworld benefits (though lots of benefits for QFF status).
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: QF WP
Indeed even if i’m reading the QF baggage allowance correctly an OWS would only get 2x23kg in domestic Y vs 2x32kg in domestic J. A lot of confusion going on IMO

Mwenenzi as always is on the money- I moved from Europe with less than 40kg of checked luggage. You need to find a way to get yourselves below that. Or perhaps look at EK F MEL-CHC? (Addit: only gives 50kg each...)

also it would be remiss of me to fail to mention that SYD-AKL with 40kg luggage and 10kg carry on is selling for ~$330 on JQ in the next 10 days...further 15kg available for $75 at the airport

Last edited by nancypants; Sep 27, 2019 at 9:05 pm
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Air New Zealand Premium Economy would seem to be a decent option for such a journey

Only $512 , piece based baggage allowance and a pretty comfortable flight for 3 hours
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.