Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Cancel vs no show on classic reward flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, QF FF

Good morning. I am supposed to fly on a classic reward flight today which I won’t be able to make (medical problem unfortunately). There’s no award availability for tomorrow, and having changed the flight once already I’m not sure if I want to burn more points on it. As I might be able to claim from my travel insurance, I might be better off just booking a paid ticket.
My question is: I can see in the reward rules that change fee is 5000 points and cancellation is 6000. I can’t see that is specifies fee for no-show. I’m assuming forfeiture of points, and probably also a 6000 point penalty in lieu of cancellation, but wondered if anyone could confirm?
The wait time for the FF help desk is substantial at the moment, so thought I’d try my luck here first! Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you cancel, then you will get the points paid for the ticker plus any taxes/charges paid in cash refunded minus the 6,000 cancellation penalty
If you just do not show up, the value will be lost

You will be better off cancelling the booking
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
Thanks, fees and charges back is better than a poke with a blunt stick. Appreciate the reply.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by petit_manchot
Thanks, fees and charges back is better than a poke with a blunt stick. Appreciate the reply.
Better to cancel and claim the difference from your insurance company (minimising the cost of your insured event).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.