Priority Boarding worked !

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:45 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Priority Boarding worked !

Wow, the 4 people in the Priority Line got to board first this arvo (MEL domestic). But then again, nobody had lined up for general boarding at that stage.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by og
Wow, the 4 people in the Priority Line got to board first this arvo (MEL domestic). But then again, nobody had lined up for general boarding at that stage.
Were they Priority eligible ?

Maybe it was just a four person general queue in the wrong lane.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:13 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Were they Priority eligible ?

Maybe it was just a four person general queue in the wrong lane.
100% that at least 2 of the 4 were “priority able”.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:48 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by og

100% that at least 2 of the 4 were “priority able”.
So at worst a 50% fail.
og, serfty and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:46 am

I don't fly Qantas often but my flight last week takes the cake for strangest boarding.

An announcement was never made so as soon as a few people gathered in the queues then boarding commenced it seemed to be a free for all.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I've noticed this a lot as well. Seems that priority boarding is non existent on QF. Not that it matters, boarding in AU is a breeze compared the the States.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I've noticed this a lot as well. Seems that priority boarding is non existent on QF. Not that it matters, boarding in AU is a breeze compared the the States.
Well Qantas sometimes have a dedicated priority boarding queue but once you're past that you have to line up anyway in the aerobridge with the rest of the proles so it really makes no difference. And it's not like you're going to get to your ultimate destination any quicker anyway.

In fact it would probably be quicker for all concerned if they just scrapped it altogether. Priority boarding is one of those useless "perks" they offer that cost the airline nothing and really make no difference to the passenger.

Like the chief steward "recognising" you on board after takeoff on international flights - all they're doing is reading your name off a piece of paper. What's the point? Do any passengers actually feel "special" because he's done that? I guess there are some DYKWIA people that do. I actually find it quite embarrassing - especially when the steward is quite loud in singling me out and announcing my name to all and sundry around me.

Scrap that nonsense and stick him in the galley helping the crew - maybe we'll all get our drinks quicker instead of waiting for an hour after takeoff.
nancypants and DML like this.

Last edited by Timothy Hillier; Aug 5, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: QF WP
I got recognised on a BA flight just recently- nothing to do with status but the purser was one of my clinical teachers in nursing school. That + stories about Australia/my current job scored me a couple of minis to take away and a glass of champagne (in economy). No buy on board for me 😉
dddc likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Timothy Hillier
Well Qantas sometimes have a dedicated priority boarding queue but once you're past that you have to line up anyway in the aerobridge with the rest of the proles so it really makes no difference. And it's not like you're going to get to your ultimate destination any quicker anyway.
That's only if you arrive at the gate after general boarding begins. If you're there when they first announce the flight for boarding and it's priority only, you get first go at the overhead locker space above your seat.

In fact it would probably be quicker for all concerned if they just scrapped it altogether. Priority boarding is one of those useless "perks" they offer that cost the airline nothing and really make no difference to the passenger.
If you're a very frequent flyer, you'd probably appreciate a small benefit like this so that you can, as above, get your bags into the overhead. There is a cost in making up the signage Priority this side, the rest the other. Cathay even has signs for row numbers in Y at some ports.

Like the chief steward "recognising" you on board after takeoff on international flights - all they're doing is reading your name off a piece of paper. What's the point? Do any passengers actually feel "special" because he's done that? I guess there are some DYKWIA people that do. I actually find it quite embarrassing - especially when the steward is quite loud in singling me out and announcing my name to all and sundry around me.

Scrap that nonsense and stick him in the galley helping the crew - maybe we'll all get our drinks quicker instead of waiting for an hour after takeoff.
Again, a small bit recognition that you are important to the airline, if they value your business, even in Y. For most people, the only time they have any human interaction with anyone from the airline these days is onboard. It's also the passengers opportunity to say they'd be grateful if a particular meal option was available, even in Y. Small touches that don't cost much or anything and can bring some brand loyalty.

Also, I thought being called by your name was common in the premium cabins - even as a non-status traveller. I'm sure on one A380 PE flight the purser came round and introduced himself to everybody. On my last J flight, whenever they came round with the meals, they had the manifest and were asking people by name what they would like.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:01 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just boarded at SYD T3. Lines had formed for Priority and “ordinary”. GA on PA specifically said “Priority Boarding now” and the staff specifically beckoned only the Priority line. Wow. How simple, how effective. Why was it so difficult before?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
In my flights last week all 7 flights (WLG, SYD, BNE and CBR) had Priority Boarding called out first and people in the PB line who did not have access were sent to the other line.
ps107 and justin_krusty like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:55 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
In my flights last week all 7 flights (WLG, SYD, BNE and CBR) had Priority Boarding called out first and people in the PB line who did not have access were sent to the other line.
I was too optimistic too soon. Boarded in HBA this morning and both lines went at the same time. Of course the “problems” are handled by the Priority line GA so that slows Priority even more so. Grrrrrr.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:46 am

Domestic boarding seems free for all and very messy. There are like 2 big Qs, one for C1, WP, J, OW(E/S/R) the other other Economy. International boarding priority is enforced I guessed. Was glad to board the A380s first. LOL
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by CXCPA
Domestic boarding seems free for all and very messy. There are like 2 big Qs, one for C1, WP, J, OW(E/S/R) the other other Economy. International boarding priority is enforced I guessed. Was glad to board the A380s first. LOL
to be fair I imagine on a lot of domestic flights the queue of those eligible for priority boarding would be as long if not longer than the pleb queue

much as I hate grouped boarding the BA way seems to work better for priority boarding. Or as others say just scrap it for domestics
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by nancypants
... Or as others say just scrap it for domestics
... or ... operate priority boarding like VA generally does domestically.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 19, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.